Aibu to tell fake police scammer to fuck off?

(102 Posts)
MadMadMadamMim Tue 04-May-21 00:42:56

Had a phone call today from a bloke with a faint London accent telling me he was phoning from Brixton police station. On a Bank Holiday Monday. Not suspicious in the slightest...

Him: Am I speaking to (my full correct name)?
Me: Who is this?
Him: I'm calling from Brixton police station.
(I live in the North East)
Me: Right
Him: We've arrested a young man with your Visa credit card on him

Me (interrupting). *Oh no officer! What should I do? I'm a vulnerable old lady!
Had I better give you all my bank details and security codes or should you just FUCK OFF YOU SCUM!! I don't know how you sleep at night!*

I'm not sure which of us put the phone down first, but Brixton police have sloppily not called again, so I assume they know nothing of this.

Bastards! I'm getting sick of answering calls from twats like this. I am considering getting a whistle to blow down the phone.

OP’s posts: |
WorraLiberty Tue 04-May-21 00:46:49

Blimey, how many do you get that it made you react like that?

I normally just hang up but if it made you feel better then I suppose it must've done some good.

Don't bother with the whistle, it's silly and won't stop them phoning.

BlackDaffodil Tue 04-May-21 00:46:57

Did he actually ask for all your bank card details 😱

YANBU

DramaAlpaca Tue 04-May-21 00:51:38

Presumably you do still have your Visa card about your person?

MadMadMadamMim Tue 04-May-21 00:54:09

@WorraLiberty

We are currently getting roughly 5 to 10 calls a day from:

BT Internet, your Wi-Fi is about to be disconnected.
Amazon prime account has been charged £79.99 (no it hasn't)
Phone is being cut off
Electric will be disconnected

DH is disabled and every time he struggles to get up and answer phone for this it's painful. I keep blocking numbers, but it's so intrusive.

Bagamoyo1 Tue 04-May-21 00:54:25

I probably get one scam call per week, and they make me furious, because I can imagine people falling for them. If I’m very busy I just hang up. But quite often I ask them how they sleep at night. Or I pretend to go along with it, just to waste their time.

WorraLiberty Tue 04-May-21 00:54:59

DramaAlpaca

Presumably you do still have your Visa card about your person?

Could be a cloned card though

acatcalledjohn Tue 04-May-21 00:58:08

I screamed at the top of my lungs at one the other day. Didn't know I had it in me. It was deafening, a proper high pitched blood curdling type of scream. Somehow they continued the conversation and all I could think to say was "how are you not deaf?". So I'm not sure that has the effect we hope for.

I do find time wasting works. Most recently I told the "HMRC" dude that my name was Theresa May, using the postcode for 10 Downing Street. He couldn't handle my panicked responses and eventually hung up on me. grin

DramaAlpaca Tue 04-May-21 01:01:40

Ah, could be Worra. Didn't think of that.

acatcalledjohn Tue 04-May-21 01:02:09

Blimey, how many do you get that it made you react like that?

Gosh, I've been harsher than the OP. They know they are scamming innocent and vulnerable people.

Homemadearmy Tue 04-May-21 01:03:41

Have you thought about call guardian another call screening service

LizJamIsFab Tue 04-May-21 01:03:45

My DM has a whistle

MadMadMadamMim Tue 04-May-21 01:04:25

I don't have a Visa...It's MasterCard.

Shamoo Tue 04-May-21 01:04:50

Is it a landline OP? Can you change your number? Assume you are ex directory etc?

Sounds so so annoying. It’s why I don’t have a landline now but I realise not everyone can make that decision.

MadMadMadamMim Tue 04-May-21 01:12:42

I guess we could change the number. It's annoying and we've been here 20 years, so I'm reluctant to go to the hassle. Currently I block every nuisance call and we're registered with TPS but it just seems constant at the moment and WFH means people are in and being interrupted.

BetsyBigNose Tue 04-May-21 01:17:26

Fair play OP and you're definitely NBU!

My DM got taken in my this type of scamming scum around 5 years ago (she was 64), before it became a more widely known ploy. Because they called her on her work landline, the call was recorded, so I've heard it myself and it really did seem quite plausible... up until he asked her for the 2nd and 4th digits of her "Personal Identification Number", as he called it - then around 5 minutes later asked her "Could you just remind me of the 1st and 3rd digits again, I haven't written them down, sorry". In between he'd had her reading out all sorts of account numbers, sort codes and phone numbers and it was easy to see how she'd become so confused with it all.

My DM felt hugely embarrassed once she realised what had happened, really violated and it massively shook her confidence. The bastards stole £5,000 from her (they took it off a credit card, it wasn't like she had £5k sitting in a savings account), but luckily, the bank eventually took pity on her, after hearing for themselves just how credible the scammer sounded on the call.

These arseholes deserve to have expletives screamed at them down the phone, they target the elderly and the vulnerable and are incredibly difficult to track down and bring to justice. I don't understand how they can sleep at night.angry

Summerfun54321 Tue 04-May-21 01:25:02

The amount of scam calls I now receive to my mobile is really disruptive to my working day. I have a call screening app but it’s still not 100% effective. The government need to do more about this kind of fraud and crime. It’s especially distressing for vulnerable people.

alexdgr8 Tue 04-May-21 01:31:33

so i assume this is a landline.
TPS is no good now, with phone number spoofing etc. outdated.
but i can recommend Call Guardian phone.
not expensive, widely available. you need to have caller display.
everyone who sees it in use, wants it, gets it, in my experience.
no scam callers since.

eechypeechy Tue 04-May-21 01:37:52

My father is a police officer and he gave me one really good piece of advice recently - when you get a call from a number you don't know, DON'T speak first if you pick up - a lot of the times these people are fishing for a voice clip that can easily be used for voice recognition software for online banking - if it's someone who genuinely wants to speak to you, and they hear silence on the other end of the phone, they'll speak first - otherwise, a lot of the time, the call automatically disconnects because the software hasn't picked a voice up.

ElGuardiandenoche Tue 04-May-21 02:17:04

I've noticed that they've started to ring from mobiles now, which is a pain in the ass.

chilling19 Tue 04-May-21 02:26:07

I can recommend Call Guardian. Had it for four years and not one scam phone call has got through.

LaBellina Tue 04-May-21 02:28:43

I would keep them on the phone for as long as possible 😂. Playing along and giving them a taste of their own medicine.
The time they lose by talking to you can at least not be used then to phone a truly vulnerable person who might actually give them their details.

TomPinch Tue 04-May-21 02:31:59

eechypeechy

My father is a police officer and he gave me one really good piece of advice recently - when you get a call from a number you don't know, DON'T speak first if you pick up - a lot of the times these people are fishing for a voice clip that can easily be used for voice recognition software for online banking - if it's someone who genuinely wants to speak to you, and they hear silence on the other end of the phone, they'll speak first - otherwise, a lot of the time, the call automatically disconnects because the software hasn't picked a voice up.

I used to get loads of phone calls where the line would just disconnect after I said 'hello'. I wonder if this is what they were.

IndecentCakes Tue 04-May-21 02:34:25

What is the scam in the OP? Haven't heard of this one.

Amdone123 Tue 04-May-21 02:43:16

Get a whistle. They're a pain in the neck.
I watch a lot of scam baiting on you tube. Atomic Shrimp, Kitboga and Jim Browning all very good.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in