Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think neighbours are using my dryer?

(462 Posts)
DontThinkSoBro Wed 07-Apr-21 14:21:58

In our block of flats each floor consists of 2 flats which share a drying room on the landing. The drying rooms are jointly owned by the two flats, we have a key each & our own tumble dryers on each side of the room.

New neighbours have moved in - lovely so far, no issues at all... except over the weekend I found one of their sons socks in my dryer & last night I found one of the woman’s socks in my dryer. 100% no mistaking that they are theirs as we only have plain socks & these are most definitely a little boys socks & a woman’s pair of patterned socks.

I absolutely don’t want to cause an argument about it. Could there be another simple explanation that I’m not thinking of as to how twice now, their socks have ended up in my dryer?

How would I approach this without causing a rift with otherwise very nice people?

OP’s posts: |
HotToddyColdSauvignon Wed 07-Apr-21 14:23:14

Maybe it’s the most simplest explanation of they think that one is their dryer?! confused

Just ask them

denverRegina Wed 07-Apr-21 14:23:23

Stupid question but do they know that you have a certain dryer each?

Cactusowl Wed 07-Apr-21 14:24:01

Assume they don’t realise they are using the wrong one and remind them which belongs to them.

Mixedupmuddle Wed 07-Apr-21 14:24:02

Can you padlock your dryer door or similar so they can’t use it? Or just start using theirs so the bills even out?

ColourfulElmerElephant Wed 07-Apr-21 14:24:15

Knock on their door, give them their clothes and explain which tumble dryer is their one.

DontThinkSoBro Wed 07-Apr-21 14:24:29

For clarity there’s a very obvious their side and ours in the shared room. When they moved in we had a whole conversation about it l, so no question that they are mistaken..

The dryers are our own, run off our own mains etc.

OP’s posts: |
Blankspace101 Wed 07-Apr-21 14:25:23

I’d just rerun the socks and let them know they have been issuing your dryer by mistake. If they are reasonable I doubt it will be an issue.

Caselgarcia Wed 07-Apr-21 14:25:45

Start using their dryer?

TristantheTyrannosaurus Wed 07-Apr-21 14:27:00

DontThinkSoBro

For clarity there’s a very obvious their side and ours in the shared room. When they moved in we had a whole conversation about it l, so no question that they are mistaken..

The dryers are our own, run off our own mains etc.

So take the socks over. 'I found these in my dryer. Your dryer is on the other side. I don't want to pay for drying your clothes so please stop using my dryer.' Or put a lock round it.

RickiTarr Wed 07-Apr-21 14:27:11

I absolutely don’t want to cause an argument about it. Could there be another simple explanation that I’m not thinking of as to how twice now, their socks have ended up in my dryer?

That’s a rhetorical question, right? confused

Pinkflipflop85 Wed 07-Apr-21 14:27:28

I would be tempted to hide something in there that will melt and ruin their clothes.

But I'm a passive aggressive cow!

UhtredRagnarson Wed 07-Apr-21 14:27:44

Knock their door, hand them the socks and say “these were in my dryer. do you know that the one one the left is yours?”

VinylCafe Wed 07-Apr-21 14:29:29

I wonder if she thinks she's saving time by using both dryers at the same time. This happened all the time when I lived in cooperative housing. The laundry room had 5 washers and 8 dryers and one member just had to use every dryer with a couple things in each. Maddening!

When you return the socks you can cheerfully tell her which dryer is hers and which is yours.

GabriellaMontez Wed 07-Apr-21 14:29:31

Do you have a separate fuse to the dryer? It sounds like you may if your dryer is running off your mains. Turn it to off.

Or just ask them why you keep finding their stuff in your dryer.

RampantIvy Wed 07-Apr-21 14:29:47

Remove the fuse from the plug to your dryer grin

MrsTophamHat Wed 07-Apr-21 14:29:57

Assume a misunderstanding, give them back and say that the dryers are not shared. If it happens again, get a lock.

ChlamydiaSexPond Wed 07-Apr-21 14:30:00

This is such a non-issue. Just pop over and have a chat!

UhtredRagnarson Wed 07-Apr-21 14:30:03

And if they continue to use yours, then you use theirs.

Hellocatshome Wed 07-Apr-21 14:30:30

Do they know the dryers are wired up to each flats own electric supply therefore using your dryer is a costing you money. They might be thinking if they do two loads of drying at once it will be quicker and not realise this costs you money. I would return the socks and ask them if their dryer is broken in a friendly neighbourly concern way. If they say no I would say you obviously don't mind on occasion seen as they have young kids if one wet the beds for instance but apart from that if they could make sure they only use their dryer as its obviously increasing your electric bill.

UCOinaUCG Wed 07-Apr-21 14:32:35

In the first instance take the socks back to them and remind them which dryer is theirs. Give them the benefit of the doubt this time but make it clear you know exactly what they have been doing. I guess they might keep doing it and being more careful so you may have to find a way to lock your dryer.

NVision Wed 07-Apr-21 14:33:36

You need to get a folding security post in front of the dryer door

GreenSlide Wed 07-Apr-21 14:34:00

RampantIvy

Remove the fuse from the plug to your dryer grin

I was going to suggest this grin

Stormwhale Wed 07-Apr-21 14:34:11

Hi neighbour, please don't use our drier as it isn't fair for us to have to pay to dry your clothes. Hope you are settling in well.

Job done.

Chickychoccyegg Wed 07-Apr-21 14:36:04

I'd switch mine off from the mains when not in use, if that's an option?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in