to be annoyed by not being allowed to view a house unless my house is sold.

(206 Posts)
LemonSwan Mon 15-Mar-21 17:08:27

I found a house I potentially really like, although its very unusual so absolutely have to view it to be able to be certain. It could be a disaster.

Apparently I need to have sold my house to view it!?

Our non negotiable requirements are very unusual and do not come up regularly (c. once every 3 months). I have been looking for a long time and only viewed 3 houses which were discounted because one was riddled with damp smell, another the seller was just pretending to sell (trying to get the agri tie removed), and the other looked bigger in the pictures.

What would you do in my shoes?


YABU - Put my house on the market and sell it just so I can view this house which may be a complete non starter.

YANBU - Or just forget it and move on.

OP’s posts: |
Finfintytint Mon 15-Mar-21 17:10:49

I wouldn’t engage with you if you were not at least under offer.
In recent years and various house sales , I only accept viewings from first time buyers or those in rented.

NormanStangerson Mon 15-Mar-21 17:11:20

If your house isn’t even on the market, I can see, in this current climate, why they’re sifting time wasters out.

luxxlisbon Mon 15-Mar-21 17:11:22

Normal procedure. It is a waste of the estate agent's time to show you around a property that you aren't actually in a position to seriously offer on right now.

wtfisgoingonhere21 Mon 15-Mar-21 17:15:09

I wouldn't want to waste other people's time for a look around when I'm not even remotely in the place to make an offer.

What would be the point.
I'd put mine on the market first and see how it goes

NovemberR Mon 15-Mar-21 17:15:19

I have a really unusual and quirky house. At some point we will probably sell it.

I won't be taking viewings from people who haven't even got their house on the market. Why would I want to let you wander round when you aren't a serious buyer?

I don't honestly care if you potentially really like it. You can't afford to buy it at this point and I don't want to wait for however long it takes you to market and sell your own property to decide whether you might want to then buy mine.

LemonSwan Mon 15-Mar-21 17:16:15

So what would you do?

- Just forget it as it really might not be a goer - been on the market over 2 years and very different. We are either going to love it or hate it.
- Put our house on the market sell it and possibly mess around a load of other people.

OP’s posts: |


Alsohuman Mon 15-Mar-21 17:17:13

We rejected viewings from people who hadn’t sold. Nobody wants non proceedable viewers in their house right now.

harknesswitch Mon 15-Mar-21 17:17:40

We're having the same issue but we are the sellers. Our estate agent won't entertain anyone viewing our house unless they are in a proceedable position. So viewings are just not coming through

DavidsSchitt Mon 15-Mar-21 17:18:36

YABU - I don't accept viewings if buyers aren't in a position to proceed.

But link us to the house anyway for a virtual nosey grin

Finfintytint Mon 15-Mar-21 17:18:59

You must know whether it’s a goer or not from videos, floorplans, photos etc? If you have specific questions about something then just ask anyway without a viewing. It might help you decide.

DavidsSchitt Mon 15-Mar-21 17:19:39

"Our estate agent won't entertain anyone viewing our house unless they are in a proceedable position. So viewings are just not coming through"

If you want them to view then get rid of this estate agent! You know that they work for you?

Wilkolampshade Mon 15-Mar-21 17:20:33

You really do have to put your house on the market OP, it's not realistic to expect anyone to take you seriously in the current climate otherwise.

Finfintytint Mon 15-Mar-21 17:20:48

You could also make contact with sellers directly. They are instructing the estate agents so may be agreeable.

Jobsharenightmare Mon 15-Mar-21 17:21:00

If you want to sell your house either way out it on the market so that you are proceedable next time you see somewhere you want to make an offer on. You would then be an attractive option as you'd be renting or sale going through at least.

NeedaLittleNap Mon 15-Mar-21 17:21:17

What I like about your post is you are accepting the seller's stipulation, not asking for ways round it.

Unfortunately, though, we're no use to you. It depends if you can be arsed to jump through the hoops, and I think you just have to decide that your yourselves.

NovemberR Mon 15-Mar-21 17:21:19

The trouble is, OP, that you either want to move or you don't.

If you want to move you'll need to sell your house - and possibly rent somewhere - until your ideal next property comes up.

BrilliantBetty Mon 15-Mar-21 17:21:40

Can see why they are asking this. We had so many time wasters & people looking who would not be in a position to move quickly even if they liked the property. So fair enough to them, they want a reasonably quick sale.

If you are serious about moving, get the ball rolling with listing yours.

CoRhona Mon 15-Mar-21 17:22:08

If the house has been on the market for two years I'd go back to the estate agents and tell them you're really interested in seeing it.

If they're still trying to sell it after that long I'd be showing it to the world and it's dog grin

arethereanyleftatall Mon 15-Mar-21 17:23:22

Having been the person to sell a house; if I ever do it again, I will never allow a person to view unless in a position to proceed. It takes me 4 hours to tidy up, then I need to get out of the house. No way would I do that for people who just fancy a nose.

SendMeHome Mon 15-Mar-21 17:24:37

We were allowed to view somewhere last week. We’re on the market and have an AIP but both of our offers so far are from FTBs who want to move fast, so we can’t accept them with nowhere to go. We viewed, wanted to offer and the EA wouldn’t accept it... that’s more frustrating! I’ve no idea why they let us view, we made our position clear.

Still hoping we get another offer while it’s still on the market, though.

LemonSwan Mon 15-Mar-21 17:27:08

You must know whether it’s a goer or not from videos, floorplans, photos etc?

We are not really buying for the house per say. Its the land, the drive, the outhouses etc. (have a business which needs to be accommodated). Its the package we are excited about. The house itself is OK, not amazing in the pictures but with a refurbishment could be lovely (possibly slightly small in an ideal world but we cant have it all when we have these other requirements) - if we get a good feeling about the whole thing as a package then we would jump in both feet. But I really cant tell you that unless I went.

TDLR - has everything we require on paper - which is a lot and unusual. House is a bit weird but could be lovely in an exciting quirky way.

OP’s posts: |
Bouledeneige Mon 15-Mar-21 17:27:48

This is standard practice and not unusual at all. Even if you loved it and wanted to put an offer on it they wouldn't accept and take it off the market unless you were proceedable and you would very likely lose it before you had an offer on yours.

I saw a house last summer that I wanted to buy so I raced to put my house on the market. It was long gone by the time I had an offer. I am (hopefully) exchanging tomorrow 7 months later after my first offer fell through. But I'm buying somewhere else that I love. I viewed about 20 places before finding the right place.

Put your house on the market. Until you do you won't really know what you will get offered for yours so you can't assume how much money you will have to play with making offers on places to buy. And be aware it takes time to tidy up your place, get photos and energy docs done before going on the market. So don't set your heart on the other place.

Heysiriyoutwat Mon 15-Mar-21 17:28:13

I wouldn't be view a house until mine was under offer. Because if it was perfect, what would you do? Who knows how long before you could proceed, and someone else in a better position could offer before you.

I'm looking at places to buy at the mo but have an AIP and am in rented accommodation so it's been fine.

My dad is also looking to move and he's frustrated that he can't view yet as there is no offer on his place.

LittleBearPad Mon 15-Mar-21 17:28:56

Put a note through the door with your number. Let the sellers decide.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in