Advanced search

How you manage as a Mum in UK

(316 Posts)
Daffodilandviolet Wed 20-Jan-21 11:34:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
PaddyF0dder Wed 20-Jan-21 11:36:13

Tumble dryer.

Warm clothes when playing outside. A lot of tv.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 20-Jan-21 11:38:01

Heated dryer is a godsend!
Well we used to take kids out to places now we just play with every toy and watch far too much tv

Thehawki Wed 20-Jan-21 11:38:37

The clothes will dry in a day on a clothes rack if the house is heated. Puddles are an excellent source of entertainment for children too grin

FelicityPike Wed 20-Jan-21 11:38:59

A clothes horse or the tumble dryer, we use the washing lines when it gets a bit dryer (Scotland).
What do you mean entertain kids in the winter? They get punted outside in waterproof outerwear, hat, scarf & gloves.
It’s only a bit of rain or frost.

SnowyAlpaca Wed 20-Jan-21 11:39:13

I don't even have a tumble dryer to just have an airer and dry clothes on that with the central heating on. I can usually do a load a day throughout winter.

MedusasBadHairDay Wed 20-Jan-21 11:40:25

We bought a tumble dryer recently and it's been a life changer. Before that we just had multiple clothes horses around the house, permanently in use a lot of the year. At one point we had one in the living room, one in the kitchen and one over the bath, and then bedding chucked over doors to dry. It often got to a point where we had a full washing basket and just had to prioritise clothes, not helped by husband working outside and coming home covered in mud. It was no fun at all.

ChezLuce Wed 20-Jan-21 11:40:30

It's midwinter and 9 degrees outside at the moment, which wouldn't prevent anyone going outside if they had suitable clothes. There's probably parts of Aus where you can't always hang washing outside aren't there?

SciFiScream Wed 20-Jan-21 11:41:46

You become an expert in laundry logistics! I have no form of heated drying, nor do I have any utility space. It's not easy.

As for the going outside in winter - no such thing as bed weather, only the wrong clothing!

RileyG73 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:41:48

Lpcal park, Trampolining Park, soft play, swimming, go karting, cinema, watch TV, invite mates over, cafe etc etc etc.

Or stick a coat and wellies on?
Invest in decent warm, waterproof gear.

luxxlisbon Wed 20-Jan-21 11:42:37

You need wind to dry clothes, not necessarily sun.

unmarkedbythat Wed 20-Jan-21 11:42:45

Tumble dryer, airer, radiators, etc.

My bro and sil refuse to have a dryer, nearly every room in their house has an airer hung with damp laundry. They refuse to turn their heating up much either and their home and clothes constantly smell 'a bit damp with febreeze on top' but they're happy.

(They think I am terrible for having a tumble dryer because of environmental concerns. I've suggested they offset my dryer use against their aeroplane use as I haven't been on one since 2005 and they're happy to jet off for holidays so on balance I'm not so sure they're the green royalty they think they are)

Meowchickameowmeow Wed 20-Jan-21 11:44:15

Children get sent outside with a piece of coal to roll up and down the street, keeps them lovely and warm!

SingANewSongChickenTikka Wed 20-Jan-21 11:44:45

My husband does it, it’s a Dad job in this house.

bridgetreilly Wed 20-Jan-21 11:47:58

Before people had washing machines and tumble dryers they did not wash clothes nearly so often. In fact, imo, most people now wash their clothes far too much.

But you can dry clothes outside in cold weather, especially if there's a good wind. You'd have an airing rack that you could hoist up to the ceiling in your home, and an airing cupboard to put things that were mostly dry. And you definitely wouldn't let cold or wet weather stop you going outside with or without children.

UntilYourNextHairBrainedScheme Wed 20-Jan-21 11:48:22

My parents even had a tumble dryer in the 1980s, but most people didn't. They also dried clothes over the big cage like metal fire guard over the open fire. My grandmother had a wooden drying rack on a pully.

I don't live in the UK any more but all of northern Europe and vast numbers of other countries have climates incompatable with drying clothes outdoors in winter, it's hardly unique!

Outside covid pandemic restrictions most parts of the UK are vastly more heavily provided with soft play centers and toddlers groups and baby and toddler classes/ activities and indoor attractions than most countries, so there's plenty laid on usually if you have a bit of spare cash to spend.

Nonamesavail Wed 20-Jan-21 11:49:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Notmoreuodates5 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:50:53

I just use a rack (2) and the radiators.

Nonamesavail Wed 20-Jan-21 11:50:54

Id be more scared of bugs and spiders in my washing in oz lol

mbosnz Wed 20-Jan-21 11:50:56

Prior to having a dryer, I spent quite a bit of my day arranging and rearranging washing on a clothes airer, and the radiators.

God help anyone that messed up my washing schedule.

Now I have my dryer, and life is a lot easier.

PickAChew Wed 20-Jan-21 11:52:12

Tumble dryer or indoor airer.

We put weather appropriate clothing on, though yesterday, we just hid indoors and felt glum. Just back from a long walk in light drizzle with Ds2 and neither of us dissolved, though the house does now smell like damp dog.

swaziscot Wed 20-Jan-21 11:52:15

The UK doesn’t actually get as cold in winter as many other countries - we have a fairly mild climate (although climate change may be changing that). Zero degrees Celsius is viewed as pretty bad - most days it’s been 5 to 7 degrees where I am, which is manageable in a warm coat.
Other countries in Europe see temperatures drop to -10 or even colder.
My friend lives in northern Italy, they just spend a lot of the winter indoors doing indoor stuff - puzzles, art, TV etc. They have to do the same sometimes in summer when it’s too hot to go out!

Charles11 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:55:01

Entertaining the kids - it depends on how old they are.

Eileen101 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:55:37

An airer downstairs in the living room (with a big radiator and an open fire - not always on of course).
Another two airers in the attic bedroom along with a dehumidifier. They dry pretty fast when the heating is on. I have a dehumidifier as I have two children in cloth nappies and no tumble dryer. It definitely helps.

Entertainment is fine, just invest in a puddle suit and wellies.

Hotzenplotz Wed 20-Jan-21 11:55:52

How do you do laundry for an entire family without a line in the sun ?
- Make the kids scrub 'em down the mines.

How do you entertain kids in Winter ?
- Give them an imaginary piece of coal to play with.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in