Talk

Advanced search

To tell my friend I don't want her "birthday gift"?

(318 Posts)
harrietbarrier33 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:49:10

Three weeks ago my friend asked me to look after her 2 hamsters whilst her house was being decorated.
I have never had hamsters and I don't really like them but she was desperate for someone to look after them so I said yes.
When she has asked how they are I have been positive "oh they are fine don't worry we are getting on great" etc etc
Today is my birthday ..she rings me
As my gift to you I'm letting you keep the hamsters ...
So I said "oh no don't be silly,I've enjoyed having them but they belong to you"
She replied .."no no I insist ..."
I don't want them
Aibu to say no ?
I think she just can't be arsed with them anymore tbh

OP’s posts: |
ghostyslovesheets Mon 18-Jan-21 17:50:14

blimey just say NO!

Edgeoftheledge Mon 18-Jan-21 17:51:40

Wow just drop them round

LittlePinkMitten Mon 18-Jan-21 17:51:49

Absolutely say no!!!

ShitUsername Mon 18-Jan-21 17:52:15

She obviously can’t be arsed with them anymore and is being a cheeky fucker. Just say no!

reeny19 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:52:23

YANBU just say you don’t want the hamsters!

steff13 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:52:40

What on earth?! No of course you're not being unreasonable. She can't just dump her hamsters on you.

hunchicklove Mon 18-Jan-21 17:52:53

Cheeky cow! No thanks tell her

nellly Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:03

Sorry but this has made me really chuckle, she obviously can't be arsed anymore and jjst wants rid, I like her creativity though

Kimbo1974 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:05

Text her saying you'll drop them around tonight!

BornIn78 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:06

When you're sure she’s home, leave them on her doorstep, ring the doorbell and shout from the end of her drive “there’s your hamsters, thought I’d save you driving to me to to come and collect them”.

Cheeky fucker.

MaskingForIt Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:21

Tell her you’ll be dropping them round at 4 pm on Wednesday, and if she is not in they’ll be going to the nearest animal rescue.

AliceinBunniland Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:46

Say no you don't want the hamsters.

Im surprised you have to ask.

She was obviously trying to palm them off on you. Tell her if she doesn't want them she needs to find a home for them.

And you are done looking abuse them so what time will she be picking them up??

violetbunny Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:46

OMG that's really cheeky! Definitely tell her if you don't want them. Poor hammies. Who on earth would try and palm off their pets onto someone? I'd rather lose my house than give away my pets, they're my babies for life.

Unanananana Mon 18-Jan-21 17:53:53

Dump her hamsters back to her! Cheeky fucker!

Cheeseandlobster Mon 18-Jan-21 17:54:03

Your friend is a cf. Tell her you would prefer x present and can she collect her hamsters tonight please

PatchworkElmer Mon 18-Jan-21 17:54:06

YANBU- she needs to take them back.

BornIn78 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:54:18

Don’t prearrange the drop off - she will have excuse after excuse.

ScottishStottie Mon 18-Jan-21 17:54:27

Laugh it off and pretend she cant be serious??

'Haha very funny, ill let you off with delivering a thank you present for the favour i did you and you can drop me off an actual present...!'

And then if she carries on insisting, tell her firmly that you were happy to temporarily look after them for her as a favour, you do not want them permenantly.

JohnBarron Mon 18-Jan-21 17:54:32

Just text her and say there must be some confusion, that while you were happy to help out you don’t actually want the hamsters so will be dropping them back off tomorrow/whenever. Don’t give her room to get out of it.

mbosnz Mon 18-Jan-21 17:55:08

Oh dear, you misunderstood me. I was quite happy to look after them in your absence as a favour to you, but I do not want, and am not prepared, to have your hamsters full time. They are coming back to you you. Tomorrow. In fact, as your birthday gift to me, you can come and collect them.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:55:14

Would say this exactly... "I don't want your fucking hamsters."

The cheek of this woman is unbelievable. The truth is she doesn't want the hamsters either. She's trying to pawn them off on you. She either comes to collect them or go drop them off.

HollowTalk Mon 18-Jan-21 17:55:40

Get everything together and take it back to her now. I'd definitely rethink that friendship, too.

simonthedog Mon 18-Jan-21 17:55:46

No thank you I don't want them.

harrietbarrier33 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:56:02

If it was a dog I would have kept him/her but me and hamsters aren't the greatest friends.
I'm going to just say no.
No I don't want your hamsters but Thankyou,I'm just too busy with work and it working be fair on them.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in