Talk

Advanced search

Page 18 | How to bag a wealthy man?

(447 Posts)
Simonstrousers Wed 13-Jan-21 20:44:42

Realise I’m going to get flamed for this, but how many of you if you really were completely honest, would prefer to be with a wealthy man, given the choice?
How do you attract them, what type of women do they go for?
I live abroad, 10 minutes away are multi millionaire pound villas, extensive gyms and restaurants etc. I’ve seen these men with a mix of women..some much younger and glamorous (fairly obvious) but many of the wives are fairly quiet and quite plain.
How go these women generally end up with these men?

OP’s posts: |
NataliaOsipova Mon 18-Jan-21 15:07:01

The stereotypes on this thread are bonkers! “Wealthy men” are no more one homogeneous category any more than “plumbers” or “tall men”. Some are lovely, some are atrocious. Some are philanderers, others are devoted family men. Etc....

londonscalling Mon 18-Jan-21 15:10:10

I'm sure the majority of us would like to be wealthy but not to the detriment of love.

To have love, money and respect for having earned the money yourself would be ideal!

Mykidshave4legs Mon 18-Jan-21 16:06:15

By unconventional, I meant not the stereotypical slim, blonde etc.

I dress well and elegantly present myself.
I don't claim to be any more special than anyone else by having confidence, was just trying to convey that having interests of your own, being widely read and confident in your own skin (whatever that looks like) is important.
No one, especially a busy man, has time to be constantly reassuring insecurities.

Mykidshave4legs Mon 18-Jan-21 16:06:53

@GreenlandTheMovie sorry, the above message was for you smile

Mykidshave4legs Mon 18-Jan-21 16:08:54

@CherryRoulade

That's wonderful!
I bet he is so appreciative of all your sacrifices and congratulations on your job!

longwayoff Mon 18-Jan-21 16:15:47

I seem to have encountered a 1950s timeslip. Is there anyone out there from the late 20th century? Later? Help me please.

GreenlandTheMovie Mon 18-Jan-21 16:48:08

Mykidshave4legs

By unconventional, I meant not the stereotypical slim, blonde etc.

I dress well and elegantly present myself.
I don't claim to be any more special than anyone else by having confidence, was just trying to convey that having interests of your own, being widely read and confident in your own skin (whatever that looks like) is important.
No one, especially a busy man, has time to be constantly reassuring insecurities.

Ah OK, but is telling men how confident you are and how you will save them time by not having to reassure something that works in bagging a wealthy man? Is it some sort of high pressured sales technique?

I guess I'm the stereotype you describe, but I haven't got a wealthy man, as I tend to just go for looks, not money. And I don't need constant reassurance either. I just couldn't pick out men for their money.

I suspect that wealthy men, like other men, go for varied personality types. Some will like that vulnerable type who need constant reassurance, just as much as any man.

CherryRoulade Mon 18-Jan-21 16:48:56

Mykidshave4legs I have been in this job a good few years now - so not a new job at all. Children growing up was a good time to redress the balance and meant i had time to focus on my career properly again.

LadyfromtheBelleEpoque Mon 18-Jan-21 17:56:20

@longwayoff

Looking for the exit, too😕

longwayoff Mon 18-Jan-21 18:07:02

What we need BelleEpoque, is a rich man with a fast car. Or a Tardis.

LadyfromtheBelleEpoque Mon 18-Jan-21 18:51:48

@longwayoff

grin

Or find the exit and open the door ourselves...but we mustn’t abandon the sisterhood in their hunt for Prince Charming and his millions.

TreacleTarte Mon 18-Jan-21 19:34:16

They're not a special, magical species. They're still blokes. Just with more money. Women get involved with them the same way they get involved with broke men, or financially comfortable men

Lightwindows Mon 18-Jan-21 19:43:01

What a depressing thread

Smallonesaremorejuicy Mon 18-Jan-21 20:06:07

Please stop thinking that way ! My Grandma used to sing 🎶 She’s only a bird in a guilded cage🎶

longwayoff Mon 18-Jan-21 20:10:28

Ok. If we're quoting grannies, 'all fur coat and no knickers' might be the way ahead. Or not.

LadyfromtheBelleEpoque Mon 18-Jan-21 20:27:56

@longwayoff

I heard that one!

Or how about ‘love never bought the pram’🤔🤔🤔🤔

I was lucky i guess in that my parents married for love and are joined at the hip. Mum always said you are better off single than with someone you don’t love. Makes you wonder about the messages other women gethmm

longwayoff Mon 18-Jan-21 20:42:17

Oh, that's nice to hear, a happy match. Maybe women on here have a point?. Quote my parents, "when poverty comes in through the door, love flies out of the window". However, there's not enough money in the world to compensate for a bad marriage, great advice from your mum.

GappyValley Mon 18-Jan-21 22:06:37

With a name change so the posters I regularly speak to don’t think I’m a total knob...

I’ve had 4 serious relationships, 3 with seriously wealthy men

ExH - met when I was 25, he was a trader in the city. We met through friends and I actually spent 6 months trying to set him up with my friends before we got together, got engaged after 2 years, married a year after that but spilt after 3 years because I wanted children and he didn’t
He is now in a LTR with a woman he met skiing. They won’t marry because she gets a very generous amount of spousal maintenance from her exH which stops if she remarries

I then went out with a minor aristo. Went to Eton, family owned a £10m house in Kensington and a family pile in Gloucestershire, had a low paying job but a huge trust fund and mortgage-free mews house in Notting hill
Met him on Match.com

DH. Very senior job running a company.
Has family money but other than a deposit for his first house, is self made
Met him on Match.com
Engaged after a year, married a year after that

I wouldn’t say I’ve deliberately set out to bag them, but I’ve ‘fished in my own pond intellectually and financially
While I haven’t earned as much as any of them, I was earning a six figure salary in my late 20s so I doubt I came across as a potential gold digger, and could hold my own in a chat about burgundy vintages or economics

Ibizafun Mon 18-Jan-21 22:45:58

What I was looking for after my divorce was someone bright but also kind. I found him in dh who like me had no money after his divorce but has since we married gone on to be a very high earner.

Money comes and goes though.. you’re left with the person so it helps to be with someone you love and respect.

LadyfromtheBelleEpoque Mon 18-Jan-21 23:31:24

@Ibizafun

I would agree- I think you have to start with someone you would enjoy spending time with - someone whose company you enjoyed based on their temperament, humour, attitude, shared interests, manner - those things matter. I think it is so depressing thinking about men as dollar signs - how could you build a decent relationship on that? Money does come and go - you’ve got to look at who you are left with when you strip all of that away, surely? Are they decent, kind, in it for the long haul?

Ibizafun Tue 19-Jan-21 09:40:48

LadyfromtheBelleEpoque I couldn’t agree more- temperament is so important. My friends’ husbands will mostly retire soon and will be around all day.. some of my friends are panicking saying “married for life but not for lunch!” but I can’t wait .

CherryRoulade Tue 19-Jan-21 10:01:51

Ibizafun

What I was looking for after my divorce was someone bright but also kind. I found him in dh who like me had no money after his divorce but has since we married gone on to be a very high earner.

Money comes and goes though.. you’re left with the person so it helps to be with someone you love and respect.

Absolutely - start with the good person and work as a unit for economic success for both of you. Good people; fun, witty bright people, hard workers, committed and loyal people tend to do better in careers and in relationships.
Id say choose a partner with similar life goals and core values, look to the long term and then the rest often follows. Perhaps not Branson type rich but comfortable - which is a whole lot better than poverty.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in