Talk

Advanced search

Page 6 | To ignore mum and sisters advice on water for baby

(130 Posts)
Element4056 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:00:32

Hello.
My baby boy is nearly 6 weeks old and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I am also a first time mum.
My baby has recently suffered with constipation which is ongoing. He also suffers really badly with trapped wind. I have been giving him infacol for trapped wind which actually isn't helping. I've started him on lactulose for the constipation prescribed by my GP.
I am feeling quite pressured by my mum to offer him small sips of water (boiled and cooled) as she has said this is why he is suffering with constipation and that it would help. My sister agrees with my mum and has said she offered water to her two kids with no issues.
I mentioned to her my son is suffering with awful trapped wind and she has said this is why I should be giving him water. I feel so guilty and like an awful mum. I feel like I've caused his constipation and trapped wind. I'm reluctant to give him water as on the NHS website it does state babies exclusively breastfed do not need additional water as Breast milk is sufficient.
I feel so awful and conflicted. Please can any offer any comments on whether they have indeed offered their baby under two months any water and if this is beneficial.
I feel reluctant to offer him any.

OP’s posts: |
lalaroo Thu 14-Jan-21 14:44:03

Citrus! Bloody typo.

Longdistance Thu 14-Jan-21 14:48:48

Some bf babies are known not to poo for two weeks and then a poonami happens. It sounds perfectly normal. No need for water as the first part of the breast milk is the drink. If you are in a hot place/country your breasts will regulate themselves and will produce more if the watery milk drink.
No need for water.

sweetiepie1 Thu 14-Jan-21 14:50:52

Please ignore when I first had my DS my parents did the same and I listened to them and we ended up in A&E because he choked on it and stopped breathing luckily he was fine but the doctor told me to ignore what everyone else was saying and breastfeeding was enough, and to keep bicycle legging, rubbing their tummy etc

gospelsinger Thu 14-Jan-21 15:46:17

I remember going through the same dilemma as you. Baby books said not to give water, people around me suggested that it might help. I stuck to the baby books for a while, but then started giving a bit of water, probably about the same age as your baby. I found it helped because I was living in a hot country at the time and she just needed more fluid. It helped me buy a bit of time until the next feed if I wasn't in a place where I could feed her. If it was milk she really wanted though, she definitely made that clear! This is also the start of you finding your own way with decision making about what is best. Read the official advice, listen to friends and family who care, make an informed choice.

Beautifulbonnie Thu 14-Jan-21 16:04:41

My youngest was allergic to milk. But one of her signs was horrific constipation. Plus a rash etc

Anyway. My doctor told me to give my 6 week old orange juice with pulp. I didn’t take him up on his offer. As I’m allergic to oranges. Ha.

I gave my young child two water. Not realising you weren’t meant too. She was fine. Not sure I’d recommend it though

However. Movicol worked wonders for both of mine. My eldest has a kidney problem. Which was caused by constipation and made her very poorly. So we used movicol a lot! Bloody brilliant stuff.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in