Page 4 | To ignore mum and sisters advice on water for baby

(130 Posts)
Element4056 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:00:32

Hello.
My baby boy is nearly 6 weeks old and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I am also a first time mum.
My baby has recently suffered with constipation which is ongoing. He also suffers really badly with trapped wind. I have been giving him infacol for trapped wind which actually isn't helping. I've started him on lactulose for the constipation prescribed by my GP.
I am feeling quite pressured by my mum to offer him small sips of water (boiled and cooled) as she has said this is why he is suffering with constipation and that it would help. My sister agrees with my mum and has said she offered water to her two kids with no issues.
I mentioned to her my son is suffering with awful trapped wind and she has said this is why I should be giving him water. I feel so guilty and like an awful mum. I feel like I've caused his constipation and trapped wind. I'm reluctant to give him water as on the NHS website it does state babies exclusively breastfed do not need additional water as Breast milk is sufficient.
I feel so awful and conflicted. Please can any offer any comments on whether they have indeed offered their baby under two months any water and if this is beneficial.
I feel reluctant to offer him any.

OP’s posts: |
Badabingbadabum Wed 13-Jan-21 18:59:52

Babies poo should be liquid - all they have is liquid going in! It can be lots in a nappy a few times a day, once a say, a few days without any pooing, a very small amount, all that is normal. Try cutting down the infacol, this can make babies struggle a bit to poo.

London1977 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:03:51

I didnt give any water at all for the first 4/5 months, a few small sips here and there after that. I think it's too early but honestly, do make sure you're drinking lots of water and having lots of milk and cheese etc.

Garlicbagelmonster Wed 13-Jan-21 19:05:10

My youngest has suffered bouts of constipation since she was 3 weeks. My gp advised me to lightly tickle the outside of her poop hole with a cotton bud covered in baby oil. DO NOT stick it in there. The sensation made her force down and go. It worked for us at the time

An0n0n0n Wed 13-Jan-21 19:05:51

Your child your choice. Not comfortable? Don't do it.

5amcrew Wed 13-Jan-21 19:07:29

Oh OP I’ve read this post and this was exactly me two years ago. I had a windy, colicky baby who would sometimes go 5-10 days without pooing. When he pooed it was like a thick runny mustard coloured poo. I was told this was all normal and I didn’t need to worry.

Trapped wind in infants is very common. Their digestive systems are still figuring stuff out. It was hard for me because my DS cried all the time (he once cried for 5hrs straight!). Infacol and gripe water did sod all. The only thing that helped was keeping him upright in the sling or giving him some tummy time which helped with the trapped wind.

My mum pressured me a lot into giving cooled boiled water but my GP and HV said not to as he was exclusively breast fed. I stood firm and didn’t give it. My dad (who is still stuck in the 1950s when my gran was raising his 8 other siblings) tried to convince me to give sugar water to placate my DS. He got a very swift no on that front!!

People will give you all sorts of advice but really the best thing to do is seek advice from healthcare professionals and trust your instincts.

The windy newborn days are so hard but you are not alone and it will get better flowers

Kayjay2018 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:08:21

@Element4056 sounds like you are doing fine. When I was worried about my DD I was advised to make sure my own fluid intake was sufficient and to make sure I was getting enough fruit and veg. Ive only introduced water once we started weaning at 6 months.
Also I found sometimes infacol worked and other times dentinox seemed better, my little one still gets a bit of a trapped wind tummy even now.

SnackSizeRaisin Wed 13-Jan-21 19:10:49

If you aren't happy, go back to the GP or contact your health visitor. Yes lots of babies strain and have wind, but if you feel something is wrong then don't be afraid to get another opinion.

Jubaju Wed 13-Jan-21 19:11:42

Some people say infacol can cause constipation.

My bf baby once went 10days without a poo, hv said this can be normal.

What kind of foods do you eat as this can cause baby to have excess wind?

You can drink some prune juice before feeding if you are worried about the baby not pooing - this will help if he is smile

nicky7654 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:14:26

Boiled cooled water is sound advice. Don't know why it's scorned . My babies had it especially in warmer weather and with central heating. But if you don't want to then don't. It's entirely up to you.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 13-Jan-21 19:15:41

Aw, cooled boiled water off a spoon - that was my DM's cure for everything baby-related. DS is 15 now... You've had great advice OP, but I just wanted to say you will look back on this and smile thanks Me and my brother still offer each other cooled boiled water when we have hangovers grin

Congrats on your baby!

dohdohdoh Wed 13-Jan-21 19:18:43

OP it all sounds normal.

If you google "what does normal breastfed baby poo look like" you can find images if that helps.

Agree with all the other posters:

- bf babies don't tend to get constipation
- they don't need water at this age
- they can go days without a poo (because breast milk is more efficiently digested and contains everything your baby needs so there is little waste)
- at 6 weeks their digestive system is still immature and straining noises are often them learn the action of pooing (they are often incorrectly pushing from higher up around their diaphragm when actually the act of pushing a poo out is much lower down). He should get into the swing of it by 12 weeks.

Flower0503 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:19:24

youtu.be/9vUs1ypeWhY

The leg movement bits on this video helped my baby with trapped bottom wind, and of he hadn't pooed for a few days, did a really big poo a few hours after this yoga. I did extra leg/tummy moves.

My eldest gets constipated and trapped wind from soya (but only noted when she was an older baby when she started solids, it's not that severe an allergy.

Indecisive12 Wed 13-Jan-21 19:20:16

As everyone has said, poo sounds normal. Breast milk is a natural laxative. Lactulose can cause griping pains though so I’d stop that. It’s also completely normal for babies to strain even for passing wind, it’s just that their muscles are immature. At 6 weeks you’d want baby to be having a poo at least every 3/4 days but as they get older it can be 10-14 days in between which is normal for a breastfed baby.

Gobbeldegook Wed 13-Jan-21 19:27:56

@Element4056 both of my kids had a cow's milk protein allergy and this was the first sign.
Constipation then dioreahh, terrible wind then terrible reflux.
I cut all dairy from my diet but it caused my weight to plummet and my supply dried up, spoke to gp and they prescribed neocate for my babies.
Made the world of difference all round.

Taskmasterlover Wed 13-Jan-21 19:28:59

I'd keep an eye on it, although it's rare bf babies can get constipated. If you think your babies straining and you're getting small pellets and liquid then it is possible. You're his mum and you know best, trust your instincts.

spotlovesbedtime Wed 13-Jan-21 19:37:20

Have you looked up a reliable website on BF baby poo? It won't be hard till he eats solids, it will be wet and soft and spluttery and yellowish in colour. BF babies can go for a LONG time between poos, my first DS would go 4.....7......10.....then 26 days between poos, he was 5 months old at this point, perfectly healthy and after the long stretch he started back to 4 days or so and then he was on solids at 6 months so the whole poo thing changed. Make sure you eat a healthy diet, give him plenty breastmilk and I'm sure he will be fine. Also make sure you are winding him well, it can take some time to bring wind up......it's something your mum or sister could do after you have breastfed, a chance for a long cuddle! I will just add that my baby was checked out a few times during the longest gap ever between poos and was fine!

TiredMummyZZZ Wed 13-Jan-21 19:45:57

Sorry I don’t know if this has been mentioned, we did lots and lots of bicycle legs and warm baths to help with trapped wind and to help poo along. There are baby massage videos on YouTube to help with constipation, lots of tummy rubs. I agree with pp that water isn’t needed. Good luck!

Ericaequites Wed 13-Jan-21 19:49:09

If your baby’s poo doesn’t include red blood or black tarry stuff, don’t worry. Blood in anyone’s stool is an emergency situation.

ConquestEmpireHungerPlague Wed 13-Jan-21 19:56:47

He doesn't sound constipated but he does sound windy/colicky. I would gently massage his tummy in clockwise circles if he's uncomfortable and to save your hand from dropping off your wrist (!) alternate that with holding him in the 'tiger in a tree' position, along your forearm with his head tucked into the crook of your elbow and one arm and one leg on each side of your arm. I'd sack off the infacol and lactulose tbh. Nothing wrong with a few sips of cooled boiled water for a constipated baby imo, but this one doesn't sound constipated.

ConquestEmpireHungerPlague Wed 13-Jan-21 19:58:30

Just to add that my colicky baby turned out to have trouble digesting cow's milk products too actually.

Scaredykittycat Wed 13-Jan-21 20:02:52

This looks more like an allergy to me than constipation. Possibly dairy? You may need to cut things out of your diet to make him more comfortable.
Also absolutely - no water.

wasgoingmadinthecountry Wed 13-Jan-21 20:20:26

The doctor told me babies can go up to 30 days without a poo!! When she went, she went! It was the evening of her Christening and luckily I'd gone out. My lucky mum! Dd2 is 25 now but I still remember!

Almostslimjim Wed 13-Jan-21 20:22:39

FtmNov22

It's totally normal for a breastfed baby not to poo for 7 days! 32 hours is nothing. DS used to go every 6-10 days from about 6 weeks.

supersonicginandtonic Wed 13-Jan-21 20:29:25

Why are you seeing an out of hours GP for a babies wind? Couldn't you speak to your health visitor or contact your own GP tomorrow? How did you even get an appointment?

Are you feeling ok in yourself OP? You aren't feeling low or anything are you? You seem quite overwhelmed by things that are completely normal if you just google them.

Grilledaubergines Wed 13-Jan-21 20:29:39

Bicycle motions with the legs and a gentle tummy massage (left to right) really helped with the wind for mine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in