Page 4 | Is this a shit present?

(257 Posts)
HiyaMeAgain Fri 04-Dec-20 14:50:49

I am struggling what to get my DM for Christmas. So far she has some perfume and a box of sweets from the grand kids. I was thinking a nice cashmere scarf and gloves? Is it a bit shit? Shes 65(ish [hmmm] ) if that makes a difference?

OP’s posts: |
Higgeldypiggeldy35 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:32:45

I'm struggling too. We usually get my parents joint experiences for a family day out. That's obviously not gonna happen for the foreseeable. I'm thinking slippers grin

user1471538283 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:33:44

If she likes gardening what about new gardening gloves and some lovely hand cream? A gift voucher for her favourite gardening centre with sufficient for tea and cake? That would be a terrific day out

PragmaticPrinciple Fri 04-Dec-20 16:33:46

I think it's fine if you know someone would love the gloves and scarf.

I am 'mature' and have most things I want, but I like a new fashionable accessory.

I also think it is my responsibility to let people know what I want, need or like, because it IS hard, once people have the things they want.

I would like :
A bottle of REALLY good olive oil - the sort that is £12-15 a bottle and a drizzle on fresh tomatoes transforms the dish.
One of the Uniqlo Marimekko tops
A David Bowie Moleskine notebook
Fake Ugg type slippers
Nice red wine
Hellebores to plant in the garden

RaininSummer Fri 04-Dec-20 16:33:52

It depends on your mum doesn't it? I am not that far off her age and wouldnt be excited by a scarf and gloves in the slightest.

RoSEbuds6 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:34:21

Gardeners World magazine is a good one if she likes gardening...

FelicityBob Fri 04-Dec-20 16:34:47

Gloves and scarf is definitely what you get when you can’t think of anything else

I’m getting my mum things off her list, xmas is easy in my family because we all say what we want

Advertisement

PragmaticPrinciple Fri 04-Dec-20 16:37:48

I am in my early 60s.
I much prefer cocktails, or tapas, or a good pizza, to afternoon tea.
And I go to gigs, not garden centres.
Well, I do occasionally pop into a garden centre, to get something, not as a day out!

It's shit because they are shut atm, but I do like a membership to Picturehouse Cinemas.

HollyandIvyandallthingsYule Fri 04-Dec-20 16:38:41

I don’t at all agree that a cashmere scarf is a shit present! No way.

A cashmere scarf and hat or gloves is a truly luxurious gift, especially if she doesn’t buy things for herself.

I’d be extremely happy receive that from my daughter.

Friendsoftheearth Fri 04-Dec-20 16:39:50

Things that unexpectedly worked for me in the last few years with two picky parents to choose from:

DNA ancestor kit they both loved knowing where they came from

A pay by the hour (so cheap) lady to research their family history. I used that for at least six birthdays - df then uncovered lost and unknown family and half siblings he did not know about...so can be a mixed, but interesting blessing!

Day trips for two on the orient express are not so expensive, and will run next year, or much cheaper afternoon tea on a steam train

watercolour painting lesson

Mybobowler Fri 04-Dec-20 16:41:22

My mum is an absolute nightmare to buy for, so I feel your pain. This Cristmas I've bought mine a scarf (that she specifically asked for) and a very nice tartan blanket. I try to avoid buying her anything she'll wear, because she'll inevitably say she adores it and then i'll never see it again. But, FWIW, gloves and scarf are a perfectly good Christmas present and something I'd be very happy with!

frustrationcentral Fri 04-Dec-20 16:44:18

My mum is easy as she has interests and so I usually go down that sort of route. Equally she'd love nice toiletries, scarves etc

Dad is a nightmare. Fussy and never wants anything. My fall back is usually some fudge or something but this year he's been told he's borderline diabetic shock, so that buggers up that plan!

WouldBeGood Fri 04-Dec-20 16:44:38

Is there anywhere local doing restaurant type book at home meals; or afternoon teas?

You have my sympathy, my mother was a bloody nightmare to buy for. I gave up trying after she told me disappointedly that her neighbours’ don had bought them a world cruise 😂

SendHelp30 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:46:11

My mother is also very difficult to buy for. We’ve gone for white company pyjamas & dressing gown!

WouldBeGood Fri 04-Dec-20 16:46:14

*Food, not book

Leannethom85 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:47:05

If your dm likes gardening what about a gift voucher for a gardening store so she can get what she likes herself for spring time

WinterIsGone Fri 04-Dec-20 16:47:20

A pay by the hour (so cheap) lady to research their family history.
Or a subscription to Ancestry or FindMyPast. FindMyPast has loads of old newspapers, and they're so interesting to read. I found out that FIL's dad had been in trouble with the police, though, so maybe not such a good idea grin

kowari Fri 04-Dec-20 16:50:26

baubling

Whether it's cashmere or sackcloth it is still a scarf. And a scarf is a shit present, sorry. It's what you resort to when you can't think of anything else.

Depends entirely on the recipient surely? If they love scarves it's a lovely present, if they never wear them, or have one for if it's freezing, then no.

HollowTalk Fri 04-Dec-20 16:51:32

What sort of thing does she like? What's gone down well in the past? If she could treat herself, what would she buy?

FourDecades Fri 04-Dec-20 16:51:36

I have purchased a handmade diary from here:

whitestitchlane.co.uk/

FourDecades Fri 04-Dec-20 16:52:31

Gifts from here:

thefairyboutique.co.uk

HiyaMeAgain Fri 04-Dec-20 16:53:24

frustrationcentral

My mum is easy as she has interests and so I usually go down that sort of route. Equally she'd love nice toiletries, scarves etc

Dad is a nightmare. Fussy and never wants anything. My fall back is usually some fudge or something but this year he's been told he's borderline diabetic shock, so that buggers up that plan!

A cheese board might be more suitable for a diabetic? And some fancy crackers? (Cheese crackers, cot Christmas crackers grin

Suzi888 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:55:07

Well it is if she hates animal cruelty. hmm I wouldn’t want it!

HiyaMeAgain Fri 04-Dec-20 16:55:54

WouldBeGood

Is there anywhere local doing restaurant type book at home meals; or afternoon teas?

You have my sympathy, my mother was a bloody nightmare to buy for. I gave up trying after she told me disappointedly that her neighbours’ don had bought them a world cruise 😂

A world cruise? Lucky buggers! You just can't compete with that, so you may as well not bother

speakout Fri 04-Dec-20 16:56:11

You know your mother OP.
I am almost your mother's age and I would hate "nice toiletries" or a scarf.

A bottle of pink gin or a new Tarot deck would go down well, but I am not your mother.

Dixiechickonhols Fri 04-Dec-20 16:56:59

Magazine subscription mine likes woman and home or a gardening one? Maybe a voucher to do something together eg afternoon tea.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in