Talk

Advanced search

Page 5 | Is it ever acceptable to use your 8 year old's artwork on a Christmas card?

(112 Posts)
HuntedForest Thu 03-Dec-20 10:18:41

Have to send cards to the extended family, parents' friends and I usually send a couple to old school friends. Despite my mum telling me to use a picture of the DC, I'm well aware that they are my DC and therefore not interesting to other people nor do they want to be on a card. So, is it acceptable to use a Christmas themed picture my DC8 drew for me?

OP’s posts: |
ChonkyLamp Thu 03-Dec-20 14:08:08

It's quite strange, she's a grandma who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in her grandchildren via me until its Christmas when she's adamant that everyone else would like a picture of them...

Ah, a "show grandma."

HarryIrving Thu 03-Dec-20 14:11:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheDogisBarkingAgain Thu 03-Dec-20 14:14:07

Bit fucking rude @harryirving how would you like it if we interrupted your conversations to ask for a favour.

ChonkyLamp Thu 03-Dec-20 14:16:57

@HarryIrving you really aren't reading the room here.

You need to start your own thread.

ZenNudist Thu 03-Dec-20 14:19:35

If someone sends me a card they have printed up specially I bin it in the same way I bin a standard card. They all float round the house for a couple of weeks then I recycle. My eyes roll slightly at a child drawing one unless it's obvious the school have done them as a fundraiser then you can't blame people for buying them.

My good friend showed me her Christmas pic for cards of 3 dc dressed in Christmas PJs and I thought it was so cute.

BewareTheBeardedDragon Thu 03-Dec-20 14:44:30

My kids school does it every year - I receive many of them from family with primary aged children. Most of the art isn't the best - but it's personal and it's helping schools who need funds, and it's more interesting than the usual Xmas card fare of snowy scenes and robins. Some of the designs my dc have turned out have not been the most decorative (one memorable one was plain green with two lines on it), but I say it's fine fblushfsmile

texarkana Thu 03-Dec-20 14:48:07

I receive many child artwork cards (generally school fundraisers) and I really like pics of friends’ children. Many people I knew some time ago but don’t see often now so I really like to see it. I do wonder why on mumsnet people feel so strongly and “can’t stand” them. Why the strong feeling? confused I tend just to buy charity or museum cards myself as I’m a bit lazy but I really appreciate those where people have gone to extra effort.

VetiverAndLavender Thu 03-Dec-20 15:08:54

It's your Christmas cards, so I'd do whatever you want. Who cares what other people think?! If the grinchy recipient doesn't like it, they can throw it away and never have to look at it again.

DryRoastPeanut Thu 03-Dec-20 15:15:45

Yeah, why not. Go for it.

My favourite Christmas ‘jumper’ is a long sleeved tee-shirt with a drawing of Rudolph my granddaughter drew for me when she was 5.

FuzzyPuffling Thu 03-Dec-20 16:06:36

I wish people would send me Christmas cards with photos of their cats.

AcrobaticCardigan Thu 03-Dec-20 16:24:59

Yes, absolutely! I love this idea. Lovely for the recipients & how proud your daughter will be.

soughsigh Thu 03-Dec-20 16:29:59

I got 2 cards drawn by 8 year olds last year. It's a thing. I definitely didn't compare and judge them for artistic merit 😂

I send pics of my DS, but he's 2. People seem to appreciate it, especially further flung family members that don't get to see him? Mum has the last 2 year's efforts on her fridge.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in