Talk

Advanced search

Page 4 | Is it ever acceptable to use your 8 year old's artwork on a Christmas card?

(112 Posts)
HuntedForest Thu 03-Dec-20 10:18:41

Have to send cards to the extended family, parents' friends and I usually send a couple to old school friends. Despite my mum telling me to use a picture of the DC, I'm well aware that they are my DC and therefore not interesting to other people nor do they want to be on a card. So, is it acceptable to use a Christmas themed picture my DC8 drew for me?

OP’s posts: |
NoPainNoTartine Thu 03-Dec-20 12:28:01

* But it would just smack of 'my child's wonderful art' whereas in reality the parent might know it's wonky. Actually turning it into christmas cards seems a bit show off?*

always sound more like the parents found the kids something useful to do on a rainy day grin

I am sure not everyone is interested in family photos, or kids arts, but I don't know anyone interested in any of the shop bought cards anyway.

No one is expecting the receiver to frame the bloody thing and treasure it for years, they'll be in the bin within 2 or 3 weeks in most houses. Or possibly cut down to gift tags for next year.

I must be weird, but I do like the family newsletter - for most of them, I've at least vaguely followed the last year on facebook or other, but it's nice to read the update.

Maybe I am just missing good old fashion letters when you're lucky to have even an email these days.

HuntedForest Thu 03-Dec-20 12:39:29

Wejustdontknow have you taught him the Pokemon Christmas songs? grin DD has just discovered them

OP’s posts: |
BuggerationFlavouredCrisps Thu 03-Dec-20 12:54:27

@CaveMum

Thank you for posting that link. I haven’t laughed this much in ages..well since yesterday probably. grin

ArabellaScott Thu 03-Dec-20 12:56:48

Of course it's acceptable. Far rather get a joyful kid's drawing than a bland shop bought card. Kids' artwork is brilliant, usually.

That said, I usually keep the school PTA cards for family and send other cards to friends.

Fluffybutter Thu 03-Dec-20 12:58:11

Of course !
DD’s school used to have the children draw a Christmassy picture which they then sent to a company that made them into Christmas cards and a percentage of the money went to the school.
Sadly couldn’t do that this year .

Tangledtresses Thu 03-Dec-20 12:59:52

@PigsInHeaven hilarious!! 😂

Our pic last year was
Santa stealing swag with an ak47 😮
Penguins with large gold $ around their necks
Complete with squad cars 😱😱

The family loved them 😂😂😂

Cheeeeislifenow Thu 03-Dec-20 13:04:51

Our school get them especially printed as a fundraiser! Why wouldn't it be acceptable?

PerkingFaintly Thu 03-Dec-20 13:09:56

I LOVE getting family cards with photos of children or (even better) children's artwork!

But that's because I want to look at things that are very personal to the people I care about at Christmas. I won't be seeing them in person, so it's lovely to have their stuff.

Whereas I've learned on MN that some people see cards as decor, and don't like things which don't fit their look. I feel that if I were looking for "decor" items I could buy/make my own, and the personal cards are a different thing entirely.

But I am indeed a sad, lonely aunt with no discernible life of her own, so that might be colouring my view rather.grin

UsernameChat Thu 03-Dec-20 13:10:55

I would only send it to people who are interested in receiving it. Generally, no one but immediate family wants to receive a child's drawing as a card.

PurpleDaisies Thu 03-Dec-20 13:12:08

Generally, no one but immediate family wants to receive a child's drawing as a card.

Really? My Christmas cards this year have pictures of knitted sprouts on them. I don’t think anyone has a particular view in those.

Do people really care what’s on their cards?

Ducksarenotmyfriends Thu 03-Dec-20 13:12:08

I've been saving my toddlers paintings all year and now using them as Xmas wrapping paper grin

confusednotcom Thu 03-Dec-20 13:20:17

Yes, a friend who has (admittedly rather talented) young children has done that for years and they mean so much more than the run of the mill ones.

nettie434 Thu 03-Dec-20 13:23:25

I fear that if I don't get any cards with a hand drawn Pokemon, mutant penguins or rainbow farting reindeers, I am going to feel very disappointed.

Agree with Perkingfaintly that personal cards are the best.

FuzzyPuffling Thu 03-Dec-20 13:23:47

Well I'd be quite happy if my own grandchildren had drawn it, otherwise no thanks.

megletthesecond Thu 03-Dec-20 13:26:43

I like kids artwork and family photo cards.

ancientgran Thu 03-Dec-20 13:27:43

I think it is nice, much more interesting than a mass produced one.

BestZebbie Thu 03-Dec-20 13:28:29

Yes, drawing the artwork for the family Christmas card is one of the main ways that primary-aged children contribute to all the Christmas prep, especially given that they tend to be too young to be directly involved in gift buying or meal prep at that stage. They might also bake, manufacture presents, hang baubles on the tree and produce various glittery decorations for the house.

Calmandmeasured1 Thu 03-Dec-20 13:29:52

As long as your DC agrees it can be used, then that is okay.

TheDogisBarkingAgain Thu 03-Dec-20 13:31:45

UsernameChat

I would only send it to people who are interested in receiving it. Generally, no one but immediate family wants to receive a child's drawing as a card.

I would, neighbours send us cards and I think it'd be quite interesting to see their kids drawings instead of a random Robin or whatever. Judging from the descriptions some people on this thread have given of their kids drawings, they'd be very interesting! I also think it's nice for the kids to see their parents are so proud of their drawings thy send it out on a card (even if secretly their parents think it's a bit crap 😆).

GlowingOrb Thu 03-Dec-20 13:35:01

Our school does this as a fundraiser.

itisnotqyiteasitseems Thu 03-Dec-20 13:41:50

We send photo ones, and I do feel a bit weird sometimes sending them to friends, but we put a lot of effort into them to make them festive and they cost more than standards xmas cards. I also acknowledge it's quite cheesy but it's something we always do. It's a tricky one if you send one thing to one and one to another, which I have done in the past.

I only send to close friends and relatives now, so just send the photo ones. If they bin my DC so be it, my kids are ok looking not models and most family don't see them much. They are not all on Facebook.

nosswith Thu 03-Dec-20 13:48:20

If your DC consents to it, then yes. Perhaps asking twice with a gap of a few days in between to allow her to be sure.

SlightDrizzle Thu 03-Dec-20 13:48:58

confusednotcom

Yes, a friend who has (admittedly rather talented) young children has done that for years and they mean so much more than the run of the mill ones.

See, I think that talent is beside the point when it comes to child-drawn Christmas cards -- it's more about neckless rainbow-farting reindeer and Santas with submachine guns and blingy penguins drawn by young children with more imagination than draughtsmanship, the more badly-drawn the better!

Bonsai49 Thu 03-Dec-20 13:51:28

I thought most schools do this as a fund raiser - I send them to close relatives and use them up for the kids to give to their own friends

Maryann1975 Thu 03-Dec-20 14:00:28

I would have no problem sending childs art work cards to close relatives, grandparents, great g.parents, close aunties and uncles, but not to anyone else. Friends and extended family would get a generic card out of a multipack.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in