Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Is it ever acceptable to use your 8 year old's artwork on a Christmas card?

(112 Posts)
HuntedForest Thu 03-Dec-20 10:18:41

Have to send cards to the extended family, parents' friends and I usually send a couple to old school friends. Despite my mum telling me to use a picture of the DC, I'm well aware that they are my DC and therefore not interesting to other people nor do they want to be on a card. So, is it acceptable to use a Christmas themed picture my DC8 drew for me?

OP’s posts: |
NoPainNoTartine Thu 03-Dec-20 10:50:22

I don't know many parents who don't use the PTA cards frankly.

The cards will end up in the bin, and according to MN, some people are throwing a huge strop if they get a generic one. 😂

Use your kid's, it won't get any personal and handmade than that. Or if you want to use a photo, why wouldn't you? If anyone gets offended by a family photo, who the hell cares. It's not normal.

Some people print their own photo or art, some good, some less good. It really does not matter, at least they bother sending a card.

IncludeWomenInTheSequel Thu 03-Dec-20 10:51:10

crochetmonkey74

I'm unusual but I hate it!

I love getting the different printed cards - even children dear to me and their artwork leaves me cold- Btw this is something I could never admit in real life as it makes me sound like a Grinch!

Same! I wouldn't ever tell anyone but I'd inwardly eyeroll a bit at a friend's child's artistic endeavours. I barely keep any of my own kids shitty drawings!

Queenoftheashes Thu 03-Dec-20 10:51:18

I would infinitely prefer a drawing to the images of people’s children I have occasionally received from one couple

HuntedForest Thu 03-Dec-20 10:51:50

Your mum is a grandma who is quite understandably blinded by the idea that everyone in the world must want to put up photos of her amazing grandchildren
It's quite strange, she's a grandma who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in her grandchildren via me until its Christmas when she's adamant that everyone else would like a picture of them...

Bear in mind that the farting reindeer has no neck and looks like something out of a horror film, and the Christmas tree is blue and radioactive-looking. Still, it's a change from nativity scenes, snow and robins, right?

Have you copyrighted this design? It sounds amazing!

Fruitpips99 Thu 03-Dec-20 10:52:16

It wouldn't occur to me to ask this question! I love childrens' drawings!

Anotherducker Thu 03-Dec-20 10:55:14

Another MN eye opener! People don’t like Christmas cards with children’s drawings or photographs on them. I had no idea. I’ve been sending the photo/picture ones to my favourite people 😂

SlightDrizzle Thu 03-Dec-20 10:57:28

But no one's expecting you to keep a child's artwork Christmas card, any more than they expect you to keep the generic robin on a postbox/snow scene/Victorian carol singers/surfing Santa, surely?

We'll be using our eight year old's annual surrealistic school production for family -- a clean-shaven Santa with an abnormally large head parachuting down onto a roof with the toys in a backpack, looking like something out of the SAS, but for some reason holding a giant candy cane -- but it wouldn't occur to me that anyone wouldn't chuck it in the recycling at New Year, same as all the other cards.

SlightDrizzle Thu 03-Dec-20 10:58:25

Sorry, mine was in reply to @IncludeWomenInTheSequel.

justicedanceson Thu 03-Dec-20 11:01:50

Huh.... If someone sends me a card with photos of their children I either love it (because I know and care about them) or I’m indifferent (because they are an acquaintance). Same goes for artwork.
I get loads of cards of people’s children. It’s cute. I also like hearing people’s news.
Ignore Mumsnet grinches.

RedskyAtnight Thu 03-Dec-20 11:03:19

I don't see the point of Christmas cards anyway but ... if your purpose in sending one is to show someone that you are thinking of them, it doesn't really matter what is on the front. Surely no one sends Christmas cards because of the amazing art work?

Derbee Thu 03-Dec-20 11:04:40

I can’t be the only one wanting @PigsInHeaven and @Wejustdontknow to show us photos of the exploding elf/reindeer poo rainbow, and a Pokemon with a tiny present drawings surely?! 😀

satnighttakeaway Thu 03-Dec-20 11:06:47

Why would it not be OK, I can't be the only person who pays next to no attention to what's on the card but knows that schools raise funds by selling cards the children have drawn themselves so a child's drawing wouldn't even register with me

generallynot Thu 03-Dec-20 11:07:14

I like getting these kind of cards. I think it's cute to see someone's child's drawings, and in any case most people just appreciate getting a card rather than the picture on the front. I think photos are possibly more controversial. It can be nice to see a pic of someone's children you haven't seen for ages, but it also feels a bit William & Kate...

ravenmum Thu 03-Dec-20 11:09:13

Maybe do a glamour shot of yourself in a Christmas outfit? grin
And definitely one for your mum where the kids are cross-eyed and/or strangling one another.

Nonamesavail Thu 03-Dec-20 11:11:04

I brought the ones from pta that my daughter drew!

fashu Thu 03-Dec-20 11:15:50

Every year I get a card with my cousins kids drawings. I love them and have saved all of them.

LadyFidgetAndHerHandbag Thu 03-Dec-20 11:19:23

Bear in mind that the farting reindeer has no neck and looks like something out of a horror film, and the Christmas tree is blue and radioactive-looking. Still, it's a change from nativity scenes, snow and robins, right?
It sounds even more wonderful.

HuntedForest Thu 03-Dec-20 11:20:59

Maybe do a glamour shot of yourself in a Christmas outfit? 🤣
That would be anything but!

Would definitely not be expecting people to keep it.

SWLondonTown Thu 03-Dec-20 11:22:37

I love receiving cards with the artwork made by children on family and friends!

LadyFidgetAndHerHandbag Thu 03-Dec-20 11:22:46

I need photos of exploding elf with rainbow farting reindeer, SAS Santa and Christmas pokemon cards please.

Flibbertigibbet2211 Thu 03-Dec-20 11:22:48

I love seeing photographs of friends' children growing up (don't do Facebook) and actively like receiving round robins. I'd be quite happy if the photograph of the children was on the front of the card. I wouldn't object to the child's drawing being on the front of the card or think badly of it, but unless it was a really special drawing I wouldn't take much notice of it either.

SaucyHorse Thu 03-Dec-20 11:25:27

I like seeing photos of people's families and I'd also like to see children's drawings. If they are children I don't see regularly in real life, I enjoy seeing how they are growing up and I'd like to hear family news as well. Never been sent any children's artwork but I usually find kids' drawings cute.

Why even bother sending cards to people who are not interested in you or your family? If the kids don't want to be on a card, obviously respect their choice and the artwork sounds like a nice alternative. Why wouldn't this be acceptable?? Is it because you think it's boasting? Surely nobody thinks anyone is particularly interested in a generic photo of a robin or whatever either?

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 03-Dec-20 11:26:08

I don't pay much attention to be honest. I'd find pictures of DC more interesting than most of their drawings though.

I think it's more than acceptable to send a picture of a baby in a christmas outfit, maybe not so much a pair of sulky teens unless you are related to them/haven't seen them in a long time smile

NoIDontWatchLoveIsland Thu 03-Dec-20 11:26:29

Doesnt everyone buy the PTA ones with the print of their kids design? Among my friends it's a given we will all be sending and receiving these.

nettie434 Thu 03-Dec-20 11:27:14

I love Christmas cards with children's drawings on. I'd be happy with a photo one too. I think that as many people will have seen family less often this year, cards with personal drawings/photos will be appreciated all the more.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in