Talk

Advanced search

Vaccine announcement was delayed to scupper Trump’s second term

(215 Posts)
Dongdingdong Tue 24-Nov-20 22:07:27

This is what Donald Trump is claiming. And I have to say, I’m no fan of Trump but the timing does seem very convenient. AIBU to think his suspicions may have some grounds?

OP’s posts: |
pointythings Tue 24-Nov-20 22:08:45

Yes, very. Trump may think he's that important, but why should the rest of us? The research process does what it does - you can accelerate a lot of it, but not all of it.

bearlyactive Tue 24-Nov-20 22:08:47

Considering that he is a serial liar who is more often than not delusional, I'm not convinced.

Wickerbaskets Tue 24-Nov-20 22:10:37

Given that the vaccine was developed without assistance from the US government initiative, I can see why the company behind it might not have wanted to give Trump a boost for something he didn’t achieve. I have no idea if they delayed it deliberately or not, but you can see the logic behind it if they did - they would have been keen to avoid the potential political ramifications of a pre-election announcement.

5863921l Tue 24-Nov-20 22:10:43

What, all three of them?

Seems a bit of a reach. Especially when there was a drum roll for it all through his campaign.

Dongdingdong Tue 24-Nov-20 22:11:15

The research process does what it does - you can accelerate a lot of it, but not all of it.

But there was literally about five days in it. Maybe it was just a complete coincidence... or maybe not.

FromageRay Tue 24-Nov-20 22:11:45

Trump thinks everything is about him. His narcissistic actions were far more damaging to his chances of a second term that a delayed vaccine announcement.

OrangeIsTheNewTwat Tue 24-Nov-20 22:12:30

Fake News. And even if it were true, I really don't care, do you? The man is appalling.

tilder Tue 24-Nov-20 22:12:56

He really is a self centred individual.

Global pandemic. More important than Trump. What a shocker.

5863921l Tue 24-Nov-20 22:13:07

And surely you'd want to be the first to the post as a scientist. That's what they care about. That and saving lives. But if you were going to play politics, you'd hold off a bit longer so people like the OP wouldn't make this inane suggestion.

Sunnyjac Tue 24-Nov-20 22:13:16

hmm

HeddaGarbled Tue 24-Nov-20 22:14:24

Why would Pfizer/BioNTec and Moderna want Biden rather than Trump?

Sarahlou63 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:14:33

Possibly. Oh dear, never mind grin

Roominmyhouse Tue 24-Nov-20 22:15:50

Oh FFS why does anyone give anything that comes out of that mans mouth any credit!

OverTheRubicon Tue 24-Nov-20 22:16:00

Dongdingdong

*The research process does what it does - you can accelerate a lot of it, but not all of it.*

But there was literally about five days in it. Maybe it was just a complete coincidence... or maybe not.

You can say that of almost anything though.

Very relevant to this is the awesome website www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Anniegetyourgun Tue 24-Nov-20 22:16:21

I'd like to know if they did, so I could write them a hearty thank-you letter.

AlternativePerspective Tue 24-Nov-20 22:19:29

I love these posts that say “I’m not a trump supporter but.....” it’s up there with “I’m not racist/sexist but....” which essentially go on to be exactly that....

The publication date for the trials will have been scheduled according to the testing timetable, not according to the US election.

nimbuscloud Tue 24-Nov-20 22:19:45

They deserve the thanks of every right thinking person on the whole planet!! Did you notice that he opted to play golf rather than take part in last week’s G20 meeting re the pandemic ?

nimbuscloud Tue 24-Nov-20 22:20:34

Not that he would have had any intelligent input anyway ...

Dongdingdong Tue 24-Nov-20 22:20:35

To those asking why would it matter if they did... well for one thing, maybe because it’s pretty damn worrying to have big pharma companies playing politics and directly trying to influence elections? Just a thought... hmm

DontBeShelfish Tue 24-Nov-20 22:20:46

His deluded fan base voted for him irrespective of there being a vaccine. Perhaps they thought he'd come round and lay hands on them all individually, or something equally bonkers.

RufustheSniggeringReindeer Tue 24-Nov-20 22:20:58

Roominmyhouse

Oh FFS why does anyone give anything that comes out of that mans mouth any credit!

This basically

sadeyedladyofthelowlandsea Tue 24-Nov-20 22:21:58

Hang on OP, I've got some tinfoil somewhere if you'd like to fashion yourself a hat?

Alternatively, it could just be that scientists have been racing against time to find a vaccine for a pandemic that only came up this year? Which is also the year that Trump lost the presidency. maybe that was also a complete coincidence ffs...

DontBeShelfish Tue 24-Nov-20 22:22:01

Guarantee someone will pipe up about it being a "plandemic".

KittCat Tue 24-Nov-20 22:23:09

Ffs hmm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in