Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Should I have let my 9 year old stay up to watch the bake off final?

(195 Posts)
Cheeryminimum Tue 24-Nov-20 21:57:19

Yes - YABU
No - YANBU

She’s 9, she’s quite grumpy without sleep, we have to get up at 6.45 for school. Usual bedtime is 8pm (lights out) - bake off finished at 9.30. We usually watch it a day later on catch up.
I’m just going to bed and I can see that one of her friends has stayed up to watch it and now I feel like a meanie!

OP’s posts: |
theBelgranoSisters Tue 24-Nov-20 22:13:35

Do you remember being young once?
What it felt like to follow pedantic bedtime rules and desperately wanting to watch a show but being sent to bed.
Occasionally throwing caution to the wind and -god forbid-feeling a bit tired the next day boreborebore etc..its just prep for the real world, my teen DDS have always been allowed a choice-if the struggle the next day its their problem, no "outs" if they made the wrong choice!
Next time indulge them, watch the faces light up and have a good family late night in.

40weekswithno2 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:14:30

Lights out at 8pm for a 9 year old seems quite early.

When she has to be up at 6.45? I don't think it's early at all, the average 9yo needs 10-11 hours of sleep a night.
I think a lot of people really underestimate how much sleep children need tbh.

AnotherNameForChristmas Tue 24-Nov-20 22:14:59

I would have let her, but obviously it depends on how tired and grumpy you think she will be the next day.
It's not like it's the 90s and if you miss a programme, that's it. She can watch on catch up later.

frontlegsofacow Tue 24-Nov-20 22:16:06

Spoiler! Talk Guidelines.

Belledan1 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:18:19

I knew I should have not read this I hsve just seen the winner!! Was just going to watch it. Sure it would have popped up somewhere else on my phone

lottiegarbanzo Tue 24-Nov-20 22:19:00

Oh, spoiler alert needed on title now OP!

I'm waiting to watch it with DC tomorrow! (As I suspect is OP!)

NeonIcedcoffee Tue 24-Nov-20 22:19:46

Why does she have to be up at 6.45? That's very early. Could you have had a bit of flexibility on this?

formerbabe Tue 24-Nov-20 22:20:51

40weekswithno2

*Lights out at 8pm for a 9 year old seems quite early.*

When she has to be up at 6.45? I don't think it's early at all, the average 9yo needs 10-11 hours of sleep a night.
I think a lot of people really underestimate how much sleep children need tbh.

I think 8pm is a pretty normal bedtime for a nine year old...my dd is 10 and goes to bed at 8....gets up at 7...so about 11 hours sleep.

ContessaDiPulpo Tue 24-Nov-20 22:22:03

I let my 9 and 8yos stay up... They generally rise voluntarily at 5am though hmm I'm hoping they will get up at a more respectable hour as a result!!

Pepperama Tue 24-Nov-20 22:22:21

I’ve got an almost 9 year old who dies t cope well without sleep. So in my books it’s not fair on teachers who are already having a hard time this year to let him stay up on school nights. I will occasionally on weekends - sleepovers, special TV events - because I know it’s just family who suffer the bad mood. Different kids different needs. I was a complete night owl myself but he’s always up early regardless of when he goes to bed.

tunnocksreturns2019 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:22:41

I did let my 9 year old stay up but her bedtime is also normally 8pm

Gemma2019 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:24:03

Oh FFS why the hell did someone just post a spoiler?! I'm still at work and was so looking forward to seeing it when I got home. Why did I open this post.

Zoflorabore Tue 24-Nov-20 22:26:03

My 9yr old would be fine with that bedtime, it’s about average for her though she doesnt get up until 7.45am.

Dd said most of her friends go to bed around 9-9.30, some even later.

WutheredOut Tue 24-Nov-20 22:26:26

Could I make a suggestion to people who don’t want to see who won - don’t open posts about the bloody show on the night of the final!

I let my nine year stay up to watch the whole series, my seven year old watched the first one and was hideous the next day 😂

ChristyEpping Tue 24-Nov-20 22:27:22

Interesting no one else thinks 8pm is early for a 9 year old! I do have my own 9 year old, not just musing/misremembering. Lights out about 9.30pm, wakes naturally about 7am.

LongBlobson Tue 24-Nov-20 22:29:21

I let my 9yo stay up, but I may regret it tomorrow!
It's the first time we've let him stay up late on a school night. We've had such a crappy boring time recently, I just decided we needed a change and a treat.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 24-Nov-20 22:29:24

It's a thread about not having watched it yet!

frontlegsofacow Tue 24-Nov-20 22:31:14

Sorry folks! I just thought it was the 9 year old who hadn't seen it not the OP

unicornparty Tue 24-Nov-20 22:32:00

8pm is very early for a 9 year old IMO. My 10 yo goes to bed at half 9.

frontlegsofacow Tue 24-Nov-20 22:33:03

And I've reported my post to get deleted. Sorry again :-)

Belledan1 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:37:40

Dont worry frontlegs in this day and age it will pop up on phones etc.

yellowmaoampinball Tue 24-Nov-20 22:38:33

Meh, it's not a big deal either way op. If the worst she has to moan about is not staying up to watch bake off then she's a lucky kid. Equally if she'd have stayed up late and been a bit grumpy it wouldn't have been the end of the world. I've allowed mine who's a similar age to stay up for bake off but I'm not letting her stay up for I'm a Celeb because it's on every blinking night.

PenelopePiper Tue 24-Nov-20 22:38:41

You did nothing wrong OP.

Sleep is important.

8pm is a perfectly normal bedtime for a 9-year old getting up at 6:45am.

cdtaylornats Tue 24-Nov-20 22:41:17

If you think she is grumpy without sleep wait until you see her when someone has told her the result.

Someday you'll be hiding from hearing the result of something and just before whatever it is starts she'll tell you.

LeSquigh Tue 24-Nov-20 22:42:00

I’m confused. I have a 10 year old who stays up until 21.00-21.15 every night. He’s never too tired for school. I thought that bedtime was normal?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in