My son said he cried for me
School told him only if you go to hospitals

I got shown a form at collection time

OP’s posts: |
nimbuscloud Mon 23-Nov-20 22:20:54

Ouch
That’s very sore looking

Wildwitchofthewest Mon 23-Nov-20 22:21:28

That looks like a carpet burn on his face. I would be ringing nspcc for advice.

Wildwitchofthewest Mon 23-Nov-20 22:26:26

And take him to the doctor and document the concerns. Do they have cctv? Demand the nursery looks at the video.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 23-Nov-20 22:41:20

I'm a nurse and my first thought a was a burn/ friction mark.

FusspotsMum Mon 23-Nov-20 22:56:21

Do the staff not have common sense or kids of their own to call you, even just out of courtesy, to prepare you emotionally for pickup. Anything on the face will make you wonder if it will scar, looks like they have gone ahead and made the decision how to clean the wound and whether to remove any dead skin when what they do immediately can have an effect? Definitely ask if an adult saw exactly what happened, I’d be tempted to ask to see the toy.

Cocomarine Mon 23-Nov-20 23:02:13

I wouldn’t expect to be called for that. Even if my child asked for me - kids ask for their parents over much more minor injuries, as long as the staff can soothe them quickly, it’s fine. At my nursery, I would expect to have been told immediately on arrival, “now Charlie has properly been in the wars today... there’s a form in his bag of course, but let me just talk you through what happened...”

Oodlesofnoodles20 Mon 23-Nov-20 23:12:45

Aw bless his little gorgeous chops. That looks nasty, I’d expect a phonecall. Actually I’ve had a call for less than that.

bluebellscorner Mon 23-Nov-20 23:40:40

He is gorgeous!

YANBU, I would definitely have expected a call from the nursery/school.

When this has healed over, perhaps try Neals Yard rosehip oil to prevent scarring? My DD had a nasty fall when she was little, had to go under general and got 12 stitches to the face. The reship oil was recommended to us.

aibuofsted Tue 24-Nov-20 07:58:32

I will speak to the head today

I didn't know who to speak to I haven't looked at any policy yet
Someone I know mentioned Ofsted but I didn't know who to speak to

I will start by talking to the office on the phone

My poor poppet

MiddleClassMother Tue 24-Nov-20 08:02:17

Poor guy, he's beautiful OP. Do you know what actually caused the injury? If this isn't the first time he's been injured by the toy it doesn't sound fit for purpose. YANBU, but go through the school before you contest OFSTED. I'd probably move nurseries too x

inappropriateraspberry Tue 24-Nov-20 08:06:02

I wouldn't have expected a call unless he was distressed or it was an open wound that needed treatment. He probably did want his mummy when it happened, but then felt better and carried in playing! I'm sure the staff would have kept a close eye on him for the rest of the day and contacted you if anything changed.
It looks sore, but not really 'treatable' apart from some magic cream and a cuddle!
I would, however, raise concerns about the toy that the injury came from.

Thirtyrock39 Tue 24-Nov-20 08:29:25

I'm pretty sure this is a school aged child not a nursery so talk of managers, moving nurseries and cctv isn't really relevant .

aibuofsted Tue 24-Nov-20 13:03:04

Hi all

I have asked for the thread to be deleted as some people have pointed out about my sons face

I spoke to the deputy today and the TA who has the class atm checked that I had spoken to her

I'm not a confrontational person At the best of times so
I just let it go
I know she didn't want it to happen

I'm just upset how it was handled

I've slathered him in arnica

When he gets home I will anti septic cream him

I didn't want to cover it because I want it to be dry as poss for healing

Thank you so much for your concern

mooncakes Tue 24-Nov-20 13:29:53

If the accident was reasonable (no negligence) and they followed the correct protocol eg filling in an accident form, informing you on collection - then it's not an Ofsted issue.

If you would prefer in future that they call you before collection if your child hurts themselves at school, that's a reasonable request and one you can just bring up with the Head.

Wildwitchofthewest Tue 24-Nov-20 14:48:28

Really you shouldn't drop this
P. S. Arnica cream on an open friction burn wound is not a good idea.

CommanderBurnham Tue 24-Nov-20 21:04:24

Complaint aside, please get that looked at and at least diagnosed as a burn. It may need dressing and at least it will documented in his medical records should you decide to pursue a complaint later.

FusspotsMum Wed 25-Nov-20 07:34:46

Check this yourself but I thought it was best to keep graze wounds moist (with something like savlon or silicon over the top) for faster healing and scar prevention. There’s every chance it will leave nothing though!

Skysblue Wed 25-Nov-20 23:11:54

Primary school called me twice over the last couple of years to say “your son has had a bump to his head and is absolutely fine but it is policy to let you know immediately about any knocks to the head.”

Ask for a written copy of their policy and yes raise with ofsted.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in