I collected my son like this
It's his worst wound ever
He hurt his chin on the same toy last week

My son said he cried for me
School told him only if you go to hospitals

I got shown a form at collection time

OP’s posts: |
dingsimg Mon 23-Nov-20 19:37:16

I work in early years. We tend to call if a child's had an actual head bump because that would be more dangerous, this is on his face. In my setting we would call for a not so serious injury if we felt that the mark was quite bad and would cause a shock on pick up. In this instance I would have definitely rang you. His face looks very sore and I would be as mad as you if I wasn't told about an injury like that before pick up.

Countdowntonothing Mon 23-Nov-20 19:37:51

I wouldn't expect a phone call. They filled in an accident form and notified you at pick up. That is normal. What exactly would phoning you have done?

If you have concerns about the toy in question, fair enough, raise it with them. But injury wise they seem to be entirely appropriate.

JustHereWithPopcorn Mon 23-Nov-20 19:37:54

Oh gosh, your poor little boy! I would definitely complain and speak to the manager first thing in the morning. I would be very concerned they didn't call you straight away!

EveryDayIsADuvetDay Mon 23-Nov-20 19:38:46

Personally I'd investigate thoroughly what happened with the school/headteacher, then if necessary follow whatever their internal complaints process is after you've had the opportunity to discuss it with them - before escalating to Ofsted/ Local authority or whatever.

itsgettingweird Mon 23-Nov-20 19:40:26

They have a form so I'd check their policy.

I'd also ask what they are doing about toy (in writing)

A phone call. Personally I would t be bothered about one as my ds would injure himself like that at home. But if you'd prefer to be called again - put that in writing.

Hope he's better soon

Twickerhun Mon 23-Nov-20 19:41:06

I’d want to know more about what happened. i would complain about how they have notified you - that’s a nasty face injury that they need to explain properly

gingerbiscuits Mon 23-Nov-20 19:43:11

I'd find out exactly what happened before you get carried away with thoughts of Ofsted. What did they say when you collected him? What did you say to them?

It does look incredibly sore & it's a pretty severe injury so you deserve a full explanation & a bloody good reason as to why they didn't call you! Was it nursery or school?

If their explanations aren't acceptable & indicate a safety issue or negligence etc then absolutely you can take it further but your 1st step would be a formal complaint to the Governors (school) or Manager (nursery).

Hope he heals soon, bless him.

IamBear Mon 23-Nov-20 19:44:52

Are his teeth OK? That would be my first concern.

Then I would have a meeting with nursery.

Then, and only then, would I consider contacting OFSTED if I wasn't happy with the outcome - what do you actually want OFSTED to do, close the nursery?

If you don't think the care is safe, remove your child.

ohnothisagain Mon 23-Nov-20 19:45:33

Is your child ultra careful? For us, this would be a fairly frequent occurrence, but my kids are daredevils (my oldest seemed to have at least one black eye on a permanent basis between about 12 months and 4 years, youngest isn’t much better).
if your child is ultra careful, I would raise it. if he’s energetic and adventurous, it’s pretty normal.

dinosnorezzzz Mon 23-Nov-20 19:47:18

That is really not good enough you should have been informed about this before collection. What exactly have they said happened. I had a text today to say my DC had bumped their head at playtime and had an ice pack applied but was ok. I cousins even see where he had bumped his head. I would be fuming if I had picked my DC up with an injury like that and not been informed sooner. And what is this toy? I would consider it dangerous if it's capable of doing that!

Looneytune253 Mon 23-Nov-20 19:48:21

Depends what has happened. If they have been negligent then yes by all means make a formal complaint (first to the nursery and then if you don't get a satisfactory response then you can follow it up and complain to ofsted. The nursery are correct tho, in that only certain accidents need to be reported to ofsted. Broken bones/ ambulance and hospital stays if I remember correctly off the top of my head. Accidents do happen but it would depend on what's happened here

Fuckitsstillraining Mon 23-Nov-20 19:49:41

I wouldn't have expected a phone call unless he needed a doctor to check him over. But I hope you will share details of the toy concerned so other parents can be aware.

Friendsoftheearth Mon 23-Nov-20 19:50:10

Such a sweet little boy op, the cut looks awful!

UsernameRebooted Mon 23-Nov-20 19:50:18

Ofsted dont take individual complaints about a child. You need to go through the school complaint policy

www.gov.uk/complain-about-school

Melaniaswig Mon 23-Nov-20 19:51:27

It almost looks like a burn or friction mark. A beautiful little boy, hope he’s soon feeling better, and you can get to the bottom of this.

pilotsprincess Mon 23-Nov-20 19:52:45

That looks so sore 🥺

Ilovesugar Mon 23-Nov-20 19:53:09

Our nursery rang to tell my little one had a black eye once and just wanted to pre warm me. I arrived and it was a tiny dot I wouldn’t have even realised if they hadn’t told me. So yep yanbu.

Ofsted would prefer you to sort stuff in-house but I would be tempted to put in a formal complaint letter which the nursery have to respond to and keep on file / potentially show ofsted

Starlightstarbright1 Mon 23-Nov-20 19:55:55

Depends what happened? What was schools response?

KisstheTeapot14 Mon 23-Nov-20 19:57:09

Nursery always rang us if something like this happened.

Pretty poor. Hope he heals up soon x

CallmeAngelina Mon 23-Nov-20 19:57:55

May I just say that your little boy is unbearably cute and handsome!

flaviaritt Mon 23-Nov-20 19:58:05

I’d expect to be called. That looks really sore.

TheRubyRedshoes Mon 23-Nov-20 20:00:55

op I would show a doctor too to get this logged thats a nasty deep scrape at the top? almost like a burn - gorgeous boy!

Iamagree Mon 23-Nov-20 20:01:18

As a PP said, Ofsted don't deal with individual complaints. You can complete their parent feedback questionnaire, and record concerns but it won't trigger any kind of action, and will only be noted if there are multiple concerns, or if there is an inspection happening in the coming days. Best go through the nursery's complaints process, including whoever is next, above the manager if you are not satisfied.

oakleaffy Mon 23-Nov-20 20:01:21

That looks like an abrasion??? As if he has been dragged along a carpet or gym mat?

Looks as if he was lying flat on his cheek and was dragged along....?

lyralalala Mon 23-Nov-20 20:03:20

His face looks blistered in the last pic. What toy was this on? Can he tell you what happened?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in