Talk

Advanced search

I think our neighbours heard us...

(122 Posts)
Jumpingjosephene21 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:01:16

NC for this as I'm mortified.

Would never normally happen. We don't do it often and when we do we are discreet! But last night dp and I had a few drinks and had some rather loud and ahem, vigorous adult time blush

Walls are thin, semi detached house and about half way through we heard a very loud intentional cough from next door. Obviously realised if we could hear them then they could hear us. Stopped quite soon after.

It was late and we were being inconsiderate. I wasn't thinking and I was definitely making a lot of noise blush Now I'm totally embarrassed. Obviously I would never bring it up so do I just front it out when I next see them or hide indoors forever??? Please tell me it's no big deal!!!!

OP’s posts: |
isitsnowingyet Sun 22-Nov-20 13:03:31

grin grin

Front it - pretend like nothing ever happened.

What the hey - surely it's better listening to people being 'happy' rather than arguing?

BoulangerieBabs Sun 22-Nov-20 13:03:41

You have to remain in your house forever more Op. the shame of leaving will just be too great grin

JillofTrades Sun 22-Nov-20 13:03:45

Now that you know they can hear, I'm sure you will be more considerate going forward. Nothing much you can do.

WorrierorWarrior Sun 22-Nov-20 13:04:06

Front it out.

Jumpingjosephene21 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:05:38

Will definitely be more considerate in future. And will stop thinking I'm some sort of adult movie star just because I've had a few glasses of wine blush

CakeRequired Sun 22-Nov-20 13:05:52

You have to remain in your house forever more Op. the shame of leaving will just be too great grin

No no, she's going to have to move. Put the house up on the market and scarper op. grin

Calmandmeasured1 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:06:26

Hide indoors forever. grin

notanotherlasagne Sun 22-Nov-20 13:08:19

Say VERY LOUDLY "thank god Marjorie and Brian have gone this morning - the noise they were making last night!".

Jumpingjosephene21 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:11:10

@notanotherlasagne that would be genius if we weren't in lockdown grin

Bluntness100 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:11:19

Loving the fact you stopped “very soon after” and not immediately 😂

DahliaMacNamara Sun 22-Nov-20 13:17:18

Front it out, but if they do mention it, apologise and say you should have realised sound would travel from your bedroom the same as it does from theirs. Leave 'em wondering.

Firenight Sun 22-Nov-20 13:19:09

Our neighbours used to wake us up, they were so loud! Stopped when they had a baby thankfully.

Diverseduvet Sun 22-Nov-20 13:19:39

I dread to think what my neighbour hears, especially when I'm going solo and he knows my partners at work😆

Gosh09 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:42:43

I bet they went outside for a ciggy after you finished.

EmpressWitchDoesntBurn Sun 22-Nov-20 13:43:43

It could have been worse. Previous MN suggestions for what to do when you hear neighbours shagging have included rounds of applause, encouraging comments, shouts of “SHE’S FAKING!!!!” and marks out of 10.

VienneseWhirligig Sun 22-Nov-20 13:45:11

If you didn't get a round of applause and/or heckling then I think you are fine grin

Whenwillow Sun 22-Nov-20 13:47:08

When I was first in my own home with my then DP (a flat) one of my neighbours pointed out that 'it's not very well soundproofed'.
I was mortified and was so relieved when he moved out a couple of months later.
There's nothing for it but to pretend it never happened OP 😂

sophandbridge Sun 22-Nov-20 13:48:29

Buy a pampas grass and wait and see if they knock on your door.

MikeUniformMike Sun 22-Nov-20 13:49:23

It wasn't your neighbour coughing, it was you accidentally letting out a fart.

BigFatLiar Sun 22-Nov-20 13:50:26

DahliaMacNamara

Front it out, but if they do mention it, apologise and say you should have realised sound would travel from your bedroom the same as it does from theirs. Leave 'em wondering.

If you said that I suspect DH would say you must have a good memory!

Joswis Sun 22-Nov-20 13:50:40

It's your bedroom. Make as much noise as you want. They're just jealous.

Ideasplease322 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:52:44

I hear my neighbours all the time🤢

I play music to try and drown it out.

It only annoys me when the headboard slams off the wall at 3am. Can be easily fixed by shoving a pillow behind it.

madcatladyforever Sun 22-Nov-20 13:54:20

Your neighbours are probably on mumsnet somewhere complaining about 'Lassie' next door grin

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles Sun 22-Nov-20 13:56:35

Next time you see them just say "we finished watching that series on Netflix the other night, it was awful, not very realistic at all and much too racy for me." smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in