Talk

Advanced search

'the norht' might be regretting voting tory

(181 Posts)
coffeelover3 Wed 21-Oct-20 23:47:09

just cant help thinking how did so many people get sucked into tory propaganda this time last year. It's terrible what's happening - the corruption and nepotism, what with Dido Harding and test and trace receiving billions, for what. But at the back of my mind all the time is that this is who the british people voted for - massive tory majority. Wonder if the 'red wall' regret turning blue...

OP’s posts: |
Goosefoot Wed 21-Oct-20 23:48:36

Do you see some evidence they are regretting it? Or that they think they'd have done better had they elected Labour?

coffeelover3 Wed 21-Oct-20 23:52:34

no I actually don't see any evidence. do you?
though they might have gotten free school meals.
why wasn't Keir the leader before the election. Labour have a lot to answer for as well.

OP’s posts: |
Clareflairmare Thu 22-Oct-20 00:06:22

I flippin’ hope so.

PercyKirke Thu 22-Oct-20 00:45:34

the corruption and nepotism

Don't know a lot about Northern Labour councils do you OP?

Elsewyre Thu 22-Oct-20 00:45:51

Well labour seem very pro lockdown the north is currently hating lock down.

So no I dont think they're regretting it. I think they'd be regretting going labour and having spent most of the year in lockdown

Livelovebehappy Thu 22-Oct-20 00:47:09

hardly had an alternative did we? Did you think Corbyn would have been the better option? Place the blame at the door of the Labour Party, not the North. Any half decent opposition labour candidate would have wiped the floor with the Tories, because they’d had a pretty crap year.

amusedtodeath1 Thu 22-Oct-20 00:49:56

I think a lot of people from all over the country regret having no viable alternative but to vote Tory. I blame Corbyn.

ConquestEmpireHungerPlague Thu 22-Oct-20 00:57:24

I certainly hope so. I can't imagine why so many people, in the north or anywhere else for that matter, ever got sucked into the delusion that the Tories gave a fuck about them.

amusedtodeath1 Thu 22-Oct-20 01:10:57

We didn't, I have always voted Labour until Corbyn. We're not deluded, just not prepared to vote for someone who is more activist than politician who did nothing about rampant anti-Semitism and who would have put nuclear disarmament before public safety. No other party stood a chance of winning.

PhilSwagielka Thu 22-Oct-20 01:13:41

Yeah, and things have improved so much for Jews, what with us getting blamed for COVID and QAnon and the far right running rampant. I guess Johnson will protect us, right?

OP, don’t bother. Tories don’t give a shit and they’ll just laugh at you.

Clareflairmare Thu 22-Oct-20 01:13:45

I’m amazed so many people think Corbyn was “not viable” and yet BORIS was! Jesus...

I’m not even a Corbyn fan by any means.

mrsmrt1981 Thu 22-Oct-20 01:14:47

I bloody hope so.

MoonJelly Thu 22-Oct-20 01:16:44

Livelovebehappy

hardly had an alternative did we? Did you think Corbyn would have been the better option? Place the blame at the door of the Labour Party, not the North. Any half decent opposition labour candidate would have wiped the floor with the Tories, because they’d had a pretty crap year.

Face it, anyone would have been better than Johnson. His government's levels of utter incompetence and rampant corruption have now reached staggering levels.

DarcyProudman Thu 22-Oct-20 06:38:17

Does anyone else wonder how it would have gone if Theresa May had stayed? I’m not saying any better or worse, but I do wonder.

TheSeedsOfADream Thu 22-Oct-20 06:40:34

I think TM would have cried in public to show her caring side and very quickly resigned. She liked handing over the hot potato at the best of times.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Thu 22-Oct-20 06:42:31

I always thought that Labour lost the last election, rather than Conservatives won (I didn't vote for either).

NotFrozen Thu 22-Oct-20 06:44:14

OP, do you live in the North of England?

DarcyProudman Thu 22-Oct-20 06:45:46

I bet TM is so glad she went, though, and is thinking “You wanted to be PM. On you go, it’s all yours!” 😂

Vello Thu 22-Oct-20 06:46:54

Labour would have had us in total lockdown, probably all year. They are obsessed with control.

I reluctantly voted Labour but it can't be denied they are more instinctively statist and authoritarian than the Tories. (I've never voted Tory but do prefer their approach to civil liberty.)

PracticingPerson Thu 22-Oct-20 06:47:15

I don't know. People often struggle to admit they've made an error of judgment so it is best to just try to give them a positive reason to vote differently next time.

pylongazer Thu 22-Oct-20 06:47:33

No I don't OP, but thanks for your concern 🙄

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 22-Oct-20 06:48:34

Yes , I'm sure, because everyone voted Tory? 🙄

Hairyfairy01 Thu 22-Oct-20 06:49:05

I wonder the same OP.

Bickles Thu 22-Oct-20 06:49:43

I would have voted Labour if Keir had been leader then.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in