Talk

Advanced search

What would you do if you saw a sign in a window saying "help me"

(261 Posts)
Lois345 Wed 21-Oct-20 11:48:41

I saw a sign in a window today saying "help me." It was one of those neat black framed boards that you can write on by moving little white plastic letters around. It was facing the street. Would you call the police? Do you think they would respond to this? I live in Edinburgh, if that makes any difference (maybe someone here with local knowledge of the police)

OP’s posts: |
SandysMam Wed 21-Oct-20 11:49:34

Yes I would call the police and let them decide. For the sake of a phone call, why would you not?

Sandsnake Wed 21-Oct-20 11:50:19

I would call the police straight away. I think you should do it right now.

ScrapThatThen Wed 21-Oct-20 11:51:20

I'd assume it was likely humorous and walk on by.

CalmdownJanet Wed 21-Oct-20 11:51:28

I would call the police and wait outside if I could

Missandra Wed 21-Oct-20 11:51:34

Call the police

ChilliMum Wed 21-Oct-20 11:52:04

Yes I would call the police, i would rather over react in this instance than under react.

BooFuckingHoo2 Wed 21-Oct-20 11:53:04

Call the police without question. Better safe than sorry.

CutToChase Wed 21-Oct-20 11:53:29

I would take a photo and call the police.

chloechloe Wed 21-Oct-20 11:53:30

I would call the police it could be a case of domestic violence. They will decide what to do - leave it in their hands.

When I was a child a neighbour’s small child came round with a tiny note from the mother asking for help as her husband was beating her.

Thesearmsofmine Wed 21-Oct-20 11:54:04

It’s obviously unsettled you as you are posting on here so I would go with your instinct and contact the police.

DeliciouslyFemale Wed 21-Oct-20 11:54:15

Of course I would. If it’s an adult messing about, the police will probably tell them to wise up, but it could be a child or woman who is being abused. When I went into my oldest boys home (adopted and too complicated to go into) to get some stuff he wanted to bring with him, when he came to live with me, I saw the words help me written on the wall, beside his bed. That still upsets me. His birth mother was an alcoholic and it was a very destructive household.

Sodamncold Wed 21-Oct-20 11:54:47

Yes police

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 21-Oct-20 11:54:50

I would assume they are students pissing around because they are self isolating. But I'd also call the police in case - and if it is students hopefully they'll be told to be less stupid.

Atalune Wed 21-Oct-20 11:56:03

I would assume it was a joke.

Then I might process it a bit more and think to call the police.

nitsandwormsdodger Wed 21-Oct-20 11:57:09

Knock on the door would've my first move , hopefully "joke" or shit attempt at art

ItsAHardKn0ckLife1 Wed 21-Oct-20 11:58:42

I would assume Halloween type joke but certainly would call and report to be on safe side

incognitomum Wed 21-Oct-20 12:00:25

Police definitely

Florencex Wed 21-Oct-20 12:00:58

I’m a bit thrown by it being on a black board with white letters you move around (I have no idea what you are referring to), but that makes me think it could be a strange joke.

I think I would be inclined to report it anyway just in case. Please do not knock on the door as somebody has suggested as if it is genuine DV situation, you may just take away any chance they have of getting help.

KatherineJaneway Wed 21-Oct-20 12:01:07

I'd assume it was a kid playing a prank

ImMoana Wed 21-Oct-20 12:09:09

Probably a student who doesn’t have enough space to write ‘please bring beer and weed’.

sapnupuas Wed 21-Oct-20 12:10:01

I'd assume a joke given the time of year

MotherOfDragonite Wed 21-Oct-20 12:11:23

Definitely take a photo and make a note of the address and call the police asap.

It doesn't matter if it's a mistake or a prank -- reporting it won't really won't hurt anyone.

But if it's something real and you don't report it, it could have terrible consequences.

SerendipityJane Wed 21-Oct-20 12:11:30

No harm in sharing this

www.care.com/c/stories/16885/secret-hand-signal-domestic-abuse/

OhCaptain Wed 21-Oct-20 12:11:48

I’d probably think it wasn’t serious but I’d still call the police!

I wouldn’t want it on my conscience if I ignored it and it was genuine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in