Talk

Advanced search

Is this a boy?!

(86 Posts)
LauD2020 Tue 29-Sep-20 10:53:26

Hi everyone

I had my 20 weeks scan a few weeks ago. At 15 weeks we was told boy At hospital was scanned for around 40 minutes, then at 16 a girl at a private clinic scanned for no more than 5 minutes and then at 20 weeks a boy at my anomaly scan which took 55 minutes .

She gave me this picture and said this was the boy bits. It is a front shot so the bladder is above it and I have circled what she told me was balls and penis. Do you all think this looks like a boy shot?

OP’s posts: |
TheVanguardSix Tue 29-Sep-20 10:56:38

Oh good grief. They said boy after a 40 minute scan at 15 weeks AND a 55-minute anomaly scan, OP. There's your answer. Stop being weird. grin Congratulations and start thinking of boys' names.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 29-Sep-20 11:02:17

There was a 'Daily Mail sad face' type story featured on this morning's BBC breakfast where a woman who'd had two scans during pregnancy that had said that her baby was a girl had given birth to a boy.

This was a dreadful disaster because she had picked a name, bought loads of welcome baby girl balloons and girly clothes, and decorated the nursery in pink.

If there was ever a lesson about stereotypes and not making choices based on scans that are fairly accurate, but far from 100%, then she definitely learned it grin.

SoyUnaMujer Tue 29-Sep-20 11:04:04

Yes looks very much like a boy. Congratulations 😊

AlwaysCheddar Tue 29-Sep-20 11:04:20

You’re asking strangers with likely no experience? Why are you so worried?

GeorgeDavidson Tue 29-Sep-20 11:04:24

Boy probably but there's always a chance the other way. Which is why greens and yellows and an open mind are your friends...

Tunnocks34 Tue 29-Sep-20 11:05:13

Why would you trust a load of unqualified strangers to confirm your babies sex, when you’ve literally had three sonographers all confirm you’re having a boy?

I don’t know what I’m looking at but congratulations on your son - boys are amazing (I have three of them)

ISpeakJive Tue 29-Sep-20 11:06:08

Yes! Looks like a healthy foetus to me.

FourPlasticRings Tue 29-Sep-20 11:06:58

I'd go with the opinion of the trained sonographer rather than the Mumsnet massive, if I were you! If you're really concerned you could always call the private clinic and ask for a free rescan given they seem to have gotten it wrong.

August20 Tue 29-Sep-20 11:07:27

@Tunnocks34

Doesn't the OP say 1 sonographer thought it was a girl, or am I misreading?

Anyway, no clue OP but congratulations on your pregnancy.

FourPlasticRings Tue 29-Sep-20 11:08:28

Tunnocks34

Why would you trust a load of unqualified strangers to confirm your babies sex, when you’ve literally had three sonographers all confirm you’re having a boy?

I don’t know what I’m looking at but congratulations on your son - boys are amazing (I have three of them)

I read it as the OP was told it is a girl at the 16 week appointment.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 29-Sep-20 11:08:40

Here she is

and here's another one

Although I didn't realise that people still unashamedly did 'pink for a girl, blue for a boy any more'.

MagentaRocks Tue 29-Sep-20 11:13:03

The 16 week mention is a ‘girl’ doing the scan I think.

MagentaRocks Tue 29-Sep-20 11:14:03

Although reading it back it isn’t that clear. It might be told it was a girl. Then boy again.

Budbudbud Tue 29-Sep-20 11:15:54

I got told at my scans that its much more common to think girl and it be a boy than the other way around than the other way round so personally I would trust the two long scans that said boy than the 5 minute one that said girl

Tunnocks34 Tue 29-Sep-20 11:17:29

I thought it was a girl doing the scan? Rather than told.

Maybe I have misread it?

HariboLectar Tue 29-Sep-20 11:21:20

Tunnocks34

I thought it was a girl doing the scan? Rather than told.

Maybe I have misread it?

I'm not sure if it's

then at 16 a girl, so was told at 16 weeks a girl

or

then at 16 a girl at a private clinic scanned - a girl at the private clinic scanned me at 16 weeks

I think possibly the latter

Saz42 Tue 29-Sep-20 11:22:56

I read it that a boy scanned her for 55 minutes at her 20 week scan 🤔

MegaClutterSlut Tue 29-Sep-20 11:27:22

I read it as op had a scan at 15 weeks and told it was a boy, had a private scan at 16 weeks and told it was a girl

Cocomarine Tue 29-Sep-20 11:30:06

I’m a sonographer, 16 years experience, mainly in antenatal, though I’ve done some fertility clinic work pre-conception too.

No way is that a boy! It’s quite a common mistake - hormonally enlarged clitoris, really normal at 20 weeks. Definitely a girl.

If that has you wondering... that’s why the internet is not better than your medics.

Happyotamus Tue 29-Sep-20 11:35:05

All I can see is a duck to be honest. Sorry!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and may you have a happy and healthy rest of the weeks left and welcome a healthy baby at the end.

Sunnydaysstillhere Tue 29-Sep-20 11:35:06

My ds is 16 now. 2 separate scans told me a boy. One scan at 32 weeks!. And he wasn't lacking either...
blush
Mistakes do happen.

ChocoholicMama Tue 29-Sep-20 11:37:51

Noone here can confirm any better than the actual sonographers looking at a live video of the baby. It's more likely to be told it's a girl and it ends up being a boy. Also two of three scans thought it was a boy, and the one that thought girl was a very quick scan. So, boy is more likely, but I understand your desire for confirmation (as much as you can before baby arrives). Usually private places will offer a free follow up if there is a discrepancy between what they said and what the 20 week scan said, so I'd ask if they'd rescan you.

Seeingadistance Tue 29-Sep-20 11:38:17

What happened to waiting until the baby was born?

HEYAhhhhhhhhh Tue 29-Sep-20 11:41:31

I knew someone who was told she was having a boy all throughout her pregnancy. She delivered a girl haha!
I didnt find out with my pregnancies and found it more magical & exciting.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in