Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want this parent jailed?

(174 Posts)
MyWitzEnd Thu 24-Sep-20 06:50:52

They got a covid test result of positive on Saturday. In Monday they sent their year 7 child to school. Tuesday the child was tested, Weds positive result, Thurs the whole year group goes home for two weeks. As a teacher, and vulnerable, mixing with 700 kids a day, I want him jailed (in two weeks!!)

OP’s posts: |
VettiyaIruken Thu 24-Sep-20 06:52:27

Do you literally mean you want him in prison or are you using that as a way to express how pissed off you are?

tryingmybest29 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:55:25

Very wrong but jailed? No!

Slightly different scenario but a mum posted on fb she needed a post for her son who had a cough (which truthfully was more likely from a cold he had buy school requested the test). As we know if one had symptoms and seeking a test the whole family isolates until negative result.. or positive and isolate for 2 weeks.

Anyway, after posting that she sent her other child into school. I have no doubt it probably is a cold. We went through the same thing. DS had a cold then a hacking cough as he always does and we had to test before he went back.

But sending In the other child whilst the other waits for a test? What if it was positive? How many people had the other child infected if they were incubating it.

pinkstripeycat Thu 24-Sep-20 06:57:49

People just don’t care so they

slipperywhensparticus Thu 24-Sep-20 06:57:50

I read it as op wsnts then jailed for two weeks ie isolated for two weeks

And its a shite trick to send your kid in when your infected

Angelina82 Thu 24-Sep-20 07:00:33

So irresponsible. YANBU.

BluebellsGreenbells Thu 24-Sep-20 07:27:18

Isle of Man jail those breaking quarentine.

Hence no real cases in over 4 months.

Those returning quarantine for 2 weeks.

That parent has cost many parents 2 weeks wages.

islockdownoveryet Thu 24-Sep-20 07:42:29

I'd be seriously pissed off too but jailed! Mind you that will be one way of making sure they are in quarantine.

Bluntness100 Thu 24-Sep-20 07:45:30

Are you prone to hyperbole or do you really feel a custodial sentence is required here?

hmm

loutypips Thu 24-Sep-20 07:45:37

Aren't people breaking quarantine supposed to be fined up to £10,000?

BlackberrySky Thu 24-Sep-20 07:46:38

You are right to be thoroughly angry about it. The punishment for this is not jail, though, nor should it be. Our prison service is already overcrowded with people far more dangerous to society than this idiot sadly.

JaggySplinter Thu 24-Sep-20 07:52:28

You could see if you can get them fined, but it's not a criminal offence and it wouldn't get a custodial sentence even if it were.

AmIAWeed Thu 24-Sep-20 07:53:55

Perhaps the £1,000 fine isn't enough (seriously I've heard people saying they'll pay that because they'll loose more than £1k for isolating)
The fine instead should be based on the wages for 2 weeks of those who were forced to isolate as a result, in this case every year 7s parents.

£1,000 fine sadly isn't alot, yes the having to isolate is disruptive and frustrating but the biggest risk is life. Make the fine so huge that people will risk losing their homes to pay for it - even then it's not enough for the loss of life they may cause.

BaronessBomburst Thu 24-Sep-20 07:55:43

If you jailed the parent though it would spread through the prison too.
However, that is indeed spectacularly stupid and thoughtless and they do deserve........ Something.

WalkingInTheAir13 Thu 24-Sep-20 07:55:44

@BlackberrySky

The Manx people evidently don't think so!

bobbiester Thu 24-Sep-20 07:56:12

This is not just breaking standard quarantine after a holiday - or precautionary self-isolation following symptoms.

They had a POSITIVE test in the family!!!

Itsabeautifuldayheyhey Thu 24-Sep-20 07:59:48

Our prison service is already overcrowded with people far more dangerous to society than this idiot sadly.
So the child goes into school and infects other children in his classroom who could infect their parents and/or grandparents. All of the people the child infects could die. Is someone in jail for, say, a single murder, more dangerous than the parent whose behaviour has "accidentally' killed a number of people?

Pippioddstocking Thu 24-Sep-20 07:59:50

OP I am frurious for you, what a selfish parent. I suspect the other parents will now know who it is, my experience of playground politics is that once the other parents get involved, this parent will very much regret their stupidity and selfishness!

Worried234 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:00:27

For fucks sake, unclench and calm down.

Tattoocrazymum Thu 24-Sep-20 08:00:33

@AmIAWeed
1k is almost my partners whole monthly wage, so it is actually more than 2 weeks wages by £300.

By the way i dont disagree that it should be more, im just pointing out 1k is ALOT for some people.

HelpIcantfindaname Thu 24-Sep-20 08:03:03

I'm a vulnerable Year 1 teacher, currently at home self isolating as a child in my bubble has Covid. 2 other staff members & 29 other children also at home. Parents told school last Monday, but when Head spoke to DFE it transpired the child had it since the Monday before - he was in school all week. (Not sure how they know as he wasn't showing symptoms but mum also has Covid, so maybe that's when she got it.) Means we only self isolate for 1 week. Annoyed at the parent but the thought of punishing her never crossed my mind.

LouiseTrees Thu 24-Sep-20 08:03:13

He should be fined for failing to self isolate the child

MaskingForIt Thu 24-Sep-20 08:03:29

Perhaps the £1,000 fine isn't enough (seriously I've heard people saying they'll pay that because they'll loose more than £1k for isolating)
The fine instead should be based on the wages for 2 weeks of those who were forced to isolate as a result, in this case every year 7s parents.

That effectively gives the unwaged cart blanche to do what they like though.

Kazakaren Thu 24-Sep-20 08:05:28

If he had a positive test result yet still sent the child to school, then there absolutely be repercussions. Like a £10,000 fine.

Emeraldshamrock Thu 24-Sep-20 08:09:06

It was very irresponsible of the parent I'm not in shock by it.
Some folk are very selfish it has shone over and over it is everybody for themselves survival of the fittest.
One lady here went to work for the weekend in a care home after her positive diagnosis.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in