Talk

Advanced search

I'm not going to be 'that' mum

(51 Posts)
Skybooks Tue 22-Sep-20 22:04:06

DS is in reception (just over a week so far so early days)
Was catching up on tapestry of activities he has been up too and I see there was a welcome activity where they all went around and introduced themselves and shook hands. Now I know they are close and in a bubble but I'm.not sure hand shaking should be taught as a greeting right now.

I'm not going to raise it bit want to know if I'm being crazy paranoid.

IABU - ITS A STANDARD GREETING
IANBU - ITS A FUCKING PANDEMIC

OP’s posts: |
LittleBearPad Tue 22-Sep-20 22:05:20

YABU. They’re in reception. They’ll practically be licking one another before long.

sticksandstone Tue 22-Sep-20 22:06:06

YANBU

Skybooks Tue 22-Sep-20 22:07:56

LittleBearPad

YABU. They’re in reception. They’ll practically be licking one another before long.

As above not fussed about the contact just think it's an outdated greeting to teach.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 22-Sep-20 22:08:12

Is there an option for “shaking hands is a formal greeting for grown ups so is weird thing to get children to do, pandemic or no”?

lazylinguist Tue 22-Sep-20 22:08:22

Honestly- it won't make any difference if they shake hands. They'll be in close contact constantly anyway.

Aragog Tue 22-Sep-20 22:08:27

We wouldn't do it right now at my school BUT the reality is that children at primary school, especially reception and infants, social distancing isn't expected or required at all.

Skybooks Tue 22-Sep-20 22:09:48

lazylinguist

Honestly- it won't make any difference if they shake hands. They'll be in close contact constantly anyway.

Again not the contact I'm worried about

Skybooks Tue 22-Sep-20 22:11:31

starJust to clarify it's the teaching of handshaking in questioning not the contact of the children. star

Readandwalk Tue 22-Sep-20 22:14:03

Handshakes are a standard sign of respect. What's your problem with it. Are you in a culture were it's an insult?

Elsewyre Tue 22-Sep-20 22:14:28

So if you're not fussed about the contact why are you framing this as pandemic related?

Its hardly outdated thousands of years of cultural history isnt going away because of a temporary situation.

Plagues come and go but people still shake hands

Is this more you dont like hand shaking and just want it to go away?

ANoTail Tue 22-Sep-20 22:15:22

So, in your OP, it's not okay to shake hands because "WE'RE IN A FUCKING PANDEMIC" but by post 2, it's just a bit outdated?
Well, they've done it once. It's hardly being drilled into them, is it? Pandemic aside, I think there's much worse things to instill in young children than polite methods of greeting. Not necessary for 5 year olds, no, but ultimately harmless.

Elsewyre Tue 22-Sep-20 22:16:42

Skybooks

starJust to clarify it's the teaching of handshaking in questioning not the contact of the children. star

Then why the "it's a fucking pandemic"?

HOkieCOkie Tue 22-Sep-20 22:17:44

It’s not outdated it’s just on hold.

Heronwatcher Tue 22-Sep-20 22:19:37

You’re being U in both respects. As you say no increase in Covid risk. And in a professional job, pre-Covid, I shook hands all the time as a respectful greeting. To my knowledge still very common in normal times.

Skybooks Tue 22-Sep-20 22:19:49

Just spending alot of time at work with adults trying hard to forget the culture and muscle memory of hand shaking, seemed an odd thing to be teaching children during a pandemic where they might want to use what they have learnt outside of school.

To answer no I dont find hand shaking offensive, didnt realise anyone did.

The fucking pandemic comment was tongue in cheek

Thepilotlightsgoneout Tue 22-Sep-20 22:23:20

Handshaking is not outdated.

RainorShine40 Tue 22-Sep-20 22:24:18

I get your point - don't be teaching children to touch each other especially in a pandemic. But we won't always be in a pandemic but hand shaking is an age old greeting. So YABU.

Ginger1982 Tue 22-Sep-20 22:25:29

People usually shake hands at interviews and meetings in the professional world etc. Do you not agree with that?

Growuppeople Tue 22-Sep-20 22:27:04

Let’s all high five! Or that weird elbow thing? Handshakes are not out of date 😂

Pickagoddamnname Tue 22-Sep-20 22:30:59

YABU I was thrilled that tig is a regular in PE still. They’re kids and need to be treated that way even in a pandemic so their social skills aren’t stunted. 12+ months of not touching anyone at that age is just weird and going to cause issues later on

Florrieboo Tue 22-Sep-20 22:32:12

It is so outdated. I doubt my 8 or 11 year olds even know how to shake hands. It isn't something kids ever need to do and as their generation grows up it won't be anything anyone does.

LittleBearPad Tue 22-Sep-20 22:35:10

So you’re antsy about the handshaking because it’s outdated?

It’s not outdated at all.

Whatcan Tue 22-Sep-20 22:36:40

YANBU

JKRowlingIsMyQueen Tue 22-Sep-20 22:37:08

AIBU. I saw someone comment that two boys in schools have gotten into trouble because they hugged. I don't want to live in a world where kids are discouraged from hugging and being affectionate. I know op's post is about hand shaking but they're kids so they will most likely be on top of each other while playing etc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in