Talk

Advanced search

To ask if I really have to be "happy with myself and happy being single" before I date again

(8 Posts)
SoBloodyTired92 Wed 16-Sep-20 19:42:45

I hear this all the time. I have 2 young DC and have been single for 2.5 years. I feel lonely and miss being in a relationship, I want to start dating again but am always told that I have to be happy in myself first and happy being single. Is this true? I'm happy enough I suppose but not perfect, but who ever is? I feel like I keep waiting to be in the "right place" but will I ever be?

OP’s posts: |
Zilla1 Wed 16-Sep-20 19:58:29

It's often sensible advice for people who are seeking a relationship to unreasonably solve their internal/psychological problems and to avoid people with low self-esteem being abused and controlled by inappropriate partners but you don't have to wait. You may get lucky and find your dream partner straight away. Life is what happens when we plan or make things perfect).

Good luck.

NiceGerbil Wed 16-Sep-20 20:00:13

Oh course not. Get out and have some fun!

(Also good luck in the age of internet dating!)

AmICrazyorWhat2 Wed 16-Sep-20 20:03:29

@Zilla1 has it spot-on. That sort of advice is given when someone is looking for a partner to solve your problems. You sound as if you’d like to date and have fun, with possibly a meaningful relationship with the right person. Go for it!

AmICrazyorWhat2 Wed 16-Sep-20 20:03:49

*their problems

SoBloodyTired92 Wed 16-Sep-20 20:27:56

Thanks all. Think I'm just going to go for it x

Zilla1 Wed 16-Sep-20 22:40:33

Good luck.

You've not asked for advice so feel free to ignore but, IME, confidence (real or faked) but not arrogance is attractive in a woman and can set the tone for a successful relationship.

SoBloodyTired92 Thu 17-Sep-20 10:15:29

Zilla1

Good luck.

You've not asked for advice so feel free to ignore but, IME, confidence (real or faked) but not arrogance is attractive in a woman and can set the tone for a successful relationship.

Thank you! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in