Talk

Advanced search

To tell all the black mumsnetters we now have our own forum

(943 Posts)
Marg33t Wed 16-Sep-20 13:40:21

Thanks to the fab PatricksRum for fighting against racism we've got our own board here

Look for black mumsnetters 👍🏿

OP’s posts: |
PicsInRed Wed 16-Sep-20 13:57:28

Congratulations PatricksRum, impressive work (and amazing patience for the level of goady thickness you dealt with)! 🎉🎉🎉

Arsewell Wed 16-Sep-20 14:07:08

Seconded smile

twilightcafe Wed 16-Sep-20 14:08:31

Have we? Where! 👍🏼

areallthenamesusedup Wed 16-Sep-20 14:11:47

Congratulations.....consider this a "Happy New Home Card" smile

I will be honest I was incredulous there wasn't one already but well done to all that got it sorted.

Pan2 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:12:04

Well done all of you. Just bonkers that anyone would object.

JengaNonConfirming Wed 16-Sep-20 14:12:05

Enjoy the, sadly, hard fought for space!

FeelingBlueAgain Wed 16-Sep-20 14:17:44

Big congratulations to PatricsRum BUT but first two posts here suggesting posters who disagree with Patrick are racist, goady and thick is a bit, well, goady.

As an ethnic minority who doesn't 'pass' for black I think the title could have been more inclusive but its better than nothin so looking forward to it.

LanaDelBoy Wed 16-Sep-20 14:18:31

Might be helpful to link it!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/black_mumsnetters

(It's in 'other stuff')

unmarkedbythat Wed 16-Sep-20 14:20:37

Well done, and I am still hmm at the viciousness of the opposition to it

MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Wed 16-Sep-20 14:21:57

Well done, great to see this has happened!

Butterer Wed 16-Sep-20 14:22:37

unmarkedbythat

Well done, and I am still hmm at the viciousness of the opposition to it

Likewise.

Arthersleep Wed 16-Sep-20 14:26:06

Genuine question here, as I haven't read any previous posts relating to this, but am wondering the intention or need is behind the group? A place to chat unhindered about anything? A place to chat about race and racism in particular? Networking? And is it just for black people or are white mums also allowed to join in (assuming that they are supportive rather than being deliberately obstructive)?

JingsMahBucket Wed 16-Sep-20 14:26:10

Woohoo!!! Thank you @PatricksRum for all your hard work and sacrifice!

DoubleDolphin Wed 16-Sep-20 14:26:59

I'm curious about this....is that solely for black people? So no people of indian race, French, chinese? White even? Noone else allowed on it?

DoubleDolphin Wed 16-Sep-20 14:27:54

And is that not..well... a teeny bit racist?

Casschops Wed 16-Sep-20 14:29:17

Well done guys😀

Jonoula Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:45

Brilliant you are just brilliant

purpleboy Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:48

Well done @PatricksRum

Dolphin, why is it racist for black people to have a board where they can talk to other black people about their own individual experiences?
We've all see the pile on on Patrick's other threads, why can't they have a space where white people wont be routinely interrupting them and trying to talk over them?

LastTrainEast Wed 16-Sep-20 14:35:28

I don't know what MNHQ decided in the end, but on one of the threads it was made clear it should be for black people only. No whites and no other 'races'.

There was a suggestion it should be more open (what about white parents who have black children for example) but that was strongly opposed.

There was a demand for black only mods too, but I don't know if it was taken seriously or not.

I expect MNHQ have spelt their decision out somewhere, but I've not seen it yet.

Waveysnail Wed 16-Sep-20 14:36:55

Eh why wouldnt there be a BAME board. Makes sense as sadly skin colour has an impact on peoples lives

Sexnotgender Wed 16-Sep-20 14:39:09

DoubleDolphin

I'm curious about this....is that solely for black people? So no people of indian race, French, chinese? White even? Noone else allowed on it?

Oh god don’t start.

Waxonwaxoff0 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:39:17

@DoubleDolphin oh get a grip. It's a board for black people to talk about issues that might not affect other races where they won't get shouted down by the middle class white women, as happens in every thread here on race. I'm white by the way.

Congrats to the poster who got the boards made! Glad you now have a safe space.

Bearbehind Wed 16-Sep-20 14:40:18

why is it racist for black people to have a board where they can talk to other black people about their own individual experiences?

But it wouldn’t be allowed to have a section where only white people could post so why is the reverse ok?

JingsMahBucket Wed 16-Sep-20 14:40:25

@purpleboy don’t bother entertainING the questions. It’ll just derail the thread. Those types of people are never happy with whatever answers you give them. They’re not looking for real answers, if you know what I mean.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in