Advanced search

To think long term ill teenagers shouldn’t have to pay prescription charges because they’re not in school

(42 Posts)
RainingFr0gs Tue 15-Sep-20 20:32:25

Dh just picked up medication for ds who is too ill to attend school this year and he had to pay the charge.

Not getting why attending school is deemed more worthy and a barrier to paying than being ill is.

OP’s posts: |
MrsTerryPratchett Tue 15-Sep-20 20:35:06

I think it's a 'between two stalls' issue. Not under 16, but not old enough for out of work benefited, which would exempt you.

Worth a chat with your MP?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 15-Sep-20 20:35:57

Can he get a medical exemption?

gretagreengrapes Tue 15-Sep-20 20:43:25

If he can't get an exemption you could buy a prepayment certificate online, a one off fee covers all prescription items for 3 or 12 months. If he has more than one item per month it's worth it.

I'm always surprised they don't advertise this more in pharmacies!

CalmYoBadSelf Tue 15-Sep-20 20:45:45

Is it worth a prepayment certificate?

Ponoka7 Tue 15-Sep-20 20:48:33

So he's 16 and out of education? Doesn't he qualify for the low income category?

IAteAlltheAvocadoPears Tue 15-Sep-20 20:51:14

Can he not get ESA? I thought ESA was for 16 upwards?

PremierInn Tue 15-Sep-20 21:02:53

Why not apply for the low income exemption?

RainingFr0gs Wed 16-Sep-20 07:30:49

We aren’t entitled to benefits

He has a significant illness and is too ill for school, will go next year.

Not heard of any of those, which would he qualify for?

OP’s posts: |
StillMedusa Wed 16-Sep-20 07:52:37

I presume he's over 16 if they aren't free.. in which case he/you can apply for PIP if he has a long term condition and has significant needs.
ESA is for over 18 I believe (unless they have severe disabilities)
A prepay is probably the easiest way to go.. I do it, my son (long term health condition ) does it ,We play £10 a month direct debit and that covers everything, so if you have more than one prescription a month it is worth it!

Porcupineinwaiting Wed 16-Sep-20 08:07:18

This is what prepayment certificates are for. You'll pay, but not that much.

ToastyCrumpet Wed 16-Sep-20 08:12:44

Prepayment certificates are brilliant. You don’t have to qualify. I’ve got one because I have asthma and a few years ago I reckon my certificate saved me about £150 in prescription charges. Apply here

bookmum08 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:14:12

Is he still on the roll at his school and being marked on the registrer as absent due to illness? If so this would count as "still in full time education". What academic year group would be be in?.

IndieTara Wed 16-Sep-20 08:15:11

Def prepayment certificate I have one and its £10.40 per month direct debit and covers all NHS prescriptions.

bookmum08 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:16:22

Also do you still receive child benefit for him? If he is out of school due to illness but still on the roll you should get that too.

littlemsattitude Wed 16-Sep-20 08:20:26

Is he registered at a school? If he's registered at a school then surely that counts as being in full time education even if he's too ill to go?

DarkMintChocolate Wed 16-Sep-20 08:20:53

Teenagers with disabilities still in school over the age of 16 can claim ESA. Full time students get put in the support group - ie they don’t have to go through a Work Capability Assessment. If he is ill, needing to miss a year of school, then that might count as a disability?

Put ESA into Google and look it up on the government website.

RainingFr0gs Wed 16-Sep-20 08:29:56

Over 16 and not on school roll.

Not fair we have to pay for pre pay when his twin who is in school and not ill gets everything free.

OP’s posts: |
Toomboom Wed 16-Sep-20 08:34:51

Unfortunately it is just how it is. My son has a chronic long term illness requiring monthly medication -- none of this is free. He has a pre payment certificate costing around £10/12 a month, so works out considerably cheaper than paying per item.

bookmum08 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:37:03

I would talk to your pharmacist. It's bad that the 16 - 18 year olds who aren't in school/college or work for whatever reason are stuck in this limbo of 'too young for benefits'.
Alternatively is there a way of getting him on the school roll so on paper he is 'at school'.

bookmum08 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:42:50

Also some medications are free whatever you're age and if you have an exemption certificate for that med it covers any other meds too. For example my husband gets metaforim (?) which qualifies him for the exemption certificate so if he is prescribed an unrelated med (antibiotics for example) he gets that free too.
Pharmacists don't always tell you if you're meds would qualify for the exemption certificate so it would be good to check.

PremierInn Wed 16-Sep-20 09:51:35

Has he been refused esa and the low income exemption already?

BigRedBoat Wed 16-Sep-20 13:23:43

I though 16 year olds could claim universal credit if they cannot work for health reasons?

DarkMintChocolate Wed 16-Sep-20 16:46:02

I would put in a claim for ESA or universal credit with permission from DS, depending on which one applies to your area and see what happens? Young people, aged 16 or 17, not in education can get ESA or universal credit in some cases, according to the government website.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Wed 16-Sep-20 19:48:34

I’m afraid it’s unlikely that OPs son would qualify for free prescriptions under the Low income rules. Our DD applied when she was at university but until she was 21 her income didn’t matter, it was based on parent income and now she is over 21 (studying for MA) she still doesn’t qualify as the amount I pay for her rent counts as income!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in