Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed off that my chav-tastic neighbours have just started letting fireworks off when i'm trying to get 2 children to sleep?

(18 Posts)
beautifuldays Fri 05-Oct-07 19:31:27

grrrrr...

they are such a pain in the arse. everyone else on the estate is lovely but the people whose garden backs onto ours are bloody horrible. they've got 4 young boys (all under the age of 6) who are reguarly shouting and swearing in the back garden and are always climbing ontop of the fence which backs onto our garden and chucking stuff. angry

i've tried having nice words but the mother is as thick as two short planks and when i go round and mention what her children are up to in the garden while she ignores them, she just shrugs her shoulders and says "oh"

now they are setting off bloody great rockets int the garden and have just woken dd (8months old) and ds (3) can't go to sleep cos he doesn't like the bangs. it's the 5th of OCTOBER FFS, not november hmm

AIBU thinking that this is a bit off esp at children's bedtime....

RGPargy Fri 05-Oct-07 19:33:42

Crikey, you dont live near me do you? I've been a bit angry at the bloody fireworks too! Woe betide anyone that wakes up my baby with fireworks when it's not 5th November!!!

tribpot Fri 05-Oct-07 19:35:46

MANY sympathies. I used to live next to a very chav-tastic family in a rather chav-tastic area and my god, we went through this for the WHOLE of October, it's just so stupid. Where we lived you had to bring your wheelie bin inside for Fireworks Night, or someone would nick it and set fire to it. Really nice. We also had children 'guising' - sorry Scottish people, I know this is normal but in my town it involved ringing on doorbells asking for money regardless of whether you had anything credibly resembling a guy.

You are not being unreasonable. Your neighbours sound awful.

missyhols Fri 05-Oct-07 19:39:48

shock its bloody october. The fecking idiots. I have sympathy for you!

beautifuldays Fri 05-Oct-07 19:40:25

so what, if anything can/should i do? apart from win the lottery so that i can move house! wink

don't suppose there are any rules on when you can let off fireworks are there? although there bloody well should be. their garden is tiny too (about 15foot by 15 foot) can't be safe either can it?

haychEebeeJeebees Fri 05-Oct-07 19:40:58

Id be farkin furious. !!!!!

I love fireworks, but only want to see or hear them on 5th November and possibly new years eve. Not on a general farkin weekday.

Id have to say something, right now and show that i mean business - big time!

God its soo not on!

Do they not have any frreaked out pets?

Go round there with crying children and feckin let them have it girl! Go on!

tribpot Fri 05-Oct-07 19:43:26

3 quid well-spent would tell you if your chavtastathons own their house, or rent from a housing agency (almost certainly the latter, and that gives you more of a stick to beat them with). Have a look at the Land Registry site, and see if you can shop them to an agency. If you can, so much the better!

beautifuldays Fri 05-Oct-07 19:43:57

unfortunately i have 2 freaked out kids and 2 freaked out rabbits and i'm here on my own so i can't leave them.

it's like talking to a brick wall anyway, i had to go round 3 times in the space of 20mins last sunday cos her bloody kids were sat on the fence shouting at my ds angry

are there any rules about when you can let fireworks off?

tribpot Fri 05-Oct-07 19:44:52

BD - definitely find out if it's HA owned and let's take it from there.

BecauseImWereWolfit Fri 05-Oct-07 19:45:29

Huge sympathies to you - I hate it as well.

But it is still relatively early in the evening so I think you are being a little unreasonable. It may, after all, be one of their birthdays?

We have people round here - don't know who they are - who think it's a good idea to let them off after midnight. angry

No doubt they'll be all over within 10 minutes, given the cost of fireworks!

beautifuldays Fri 05-Oct-07 19:46:27

tbh i suspect they own it.

they are very much the odd ones out of our neighbourhood. we live in a very middle class "well to do" (iykwim - not trying to be snobby, but you know..) area with excellent schools. there aren't any council houses at all, so i strongly suspect they own or rent from a private landlord.

lulu25 Fri 05-Oct-07 19:47:07

YANBU

there are some things i miss about living in london. bloody fireworks isn't one of them. you have my deepest sympathies.

beautifuldays Fri 05-Oct-07 19:48:54

BecauseImWereWolfit - i know it's early, but this is not the first time, and i just think letting off bloody great rockets at childrens bedtime, when 90% of the houses on the estate have young children is a bit farkin selfish.

their kids are now running round the garden with sparklers screaming at the top of their voices like wild banshees...hmm

wheresmysuntan Fri 05-Oct-07 19:54:21

You really have my sympathy. I think fireworks should ONLY be allowed in any format (private or public) on 5th Nov,the weekends either side of it and 31st Dec. The rest of the year they should be banned. As for what you can do, I would still try Tribpot's suggestion. It might be worth asking the council if they have any by-laws on fireworks - you never know.

mhmummy Fri 05-Oct-07 19:55:07

God I hate them already. I would speak to other neighbouring houses - you may find others feel the same. Then you can discuss with them how to approach it. At the very least it will make everyone think a bit more about noise over the coming month.

niceglasses Fri 05-Oct-07 19:55:35

Think 'shopping them' bit extreme. Christ if I shopped everyone who let off fireworks I'd have a fulltime job.

Its only illegal after 10 or 11 isn't it?

Annoying all the same. Any chance of a quiet word?

QueenofBleach Fri 05-Oct-07 19:59:21

It's illeagal after 11pm except for News years eve, bonfire night, chinese new year, and diwali 9sp0 found that out when I wrote to the Colonel of the army camp next door when the nice young officers thought it would be fun to let theirs off at one in the morning, needless to say they got a good speaking to and promised not to do it again.

BecauseImWereWolfit Fri 05-Oct-07 20:01:51

beautifuldays - I agree with you that it is selfish, and I really, really know how you feel, but it is a problem when we all live on top of each other. And they may have a good reason for the celebration (trying to see it from their pov as well!)

I agree that it would be worth finding out what your other neighbours think - solidarity in numbers and all that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now