Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fed up with my niece and nephews each holiday?

(81 Posts)
SockYarn Sat 15-Aug-20 16:32:29

Every holiday my two teenage nephews and their 10 year old sister descend on my quiet home. We live in the country in Dorset, there's just me, my DH who is an academic and works in the study, teenage DD (who appears to be experimenting with being genderfluid) and the dog.

I really don't mind having the extra children in the house. But they keep getting into adventures and the Police have been involved in the past. And they get through a LOT of ginger beer.

AIBU to say I've had enough of their scrapes and mysteries?

OP’s posts: |
Magicbabywaves Sat 15-Aug-20 16:34:21

Send them off to your family island.

SockYarn Sat 15-Aug-20 16:36:11

The island is an option. But even there they manage to get entangled with something or other involving smugglers or the Police. And it doesn't cut my ginger beer and cake bill.

OP’s posts: |
BruceAndNosh Sat 15-Aug-20 16:36:16

Stuff them full of corned beef sandwiches and cake so they feel sick and have to stay indoors.

SummerTimeSunshine Sat 15-Aug-20 16:37:31

YABU

You can't really complain when their antics saved you from financial ruin.

Magicbabywaves Sat 15-Aug-20 16:37:47

Hopefully they’ll find some ingots!

BruceAndNosh Sat 15-Aug-20 16:39:03

I've got bad news for you, they're going to keep coming for 20 years and never get any older or more responsible

Nonotthisagain Sat 15-Aug-20 16:39:29

Maybe pack them off to the Moors to camp for a few nights - probably won't need sleeping mats with all that springy heather

SkaraBrae Sat 15-Aug-20 16:40:00

Isn't there a lighthouse they could go off to?
Bonus if it happens to be a smuggler's hideout.

If not I would suggest you get the 10 year-old to be fulltime carer for them- she could cook and clean up after them.
Hell, she might even do it for your daughter too.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Sat 15-Aug-20 16:41:27

Why don't you send them off on a camping trip? I hear there is an oddly shaped hill (like a hat) that is a good place to go.

FizzyGreenWater Sat 15-Aug-20 16:43:07

Could you arrange for another tree to fall on the house, and make sure they're all in the 'direct hit' bedroom this time?

HavelockVetinari Sat 15-Aug-20 16:45:18

Pack them off in a couple of caravans, I'm sure nothing dangerous could come of that.

julybaby32 Sat 15-Aug-20 16:45:24

Try sending them to a remote farmhouse where mysterious things have been seen at the nearby ruins.

HollyHocks13 Sat 15-Aug-20 16:49:51

Just an idea but perhaps you and your husband could take off for the entire summer alone? You could leave those meddlesome kids in the care of a sour faced local housekeeper and her equally grumpy husband?

Bibijayne Sat 15-Aug-20 16:54:26

Famous Five?

ThaGugaBlasta Sat 15-Aug-20 16:59:44

Think yourself lucky. My Barbara got in with a bad lot at school - they insisted they were called the Secret Seven, but that's not what the local bobby thought when he found all their SS badges and what-have-you.

Butchyrestingface Sat 15-Aug-20 17:03:50

Your daughter is usually the instigator, if memory serves.

First cast the beam from thine own eye, as they say roon ma bit.

CoatTails Sat 15-Aug-20 17:05:13

As long as they have a tin of biscuits, they’ll be fine.

Can I ask you a question though?
Do many people like me snigger at your name, Fanny?

katy1213 Sat 15-Aug-20 17:06:18

I'd send my twins to join you but they've been kept in by Mam'zelle.

Babdoc Sat 15-Aug-20 17:10:02

Suggest they climb the Faraway Tree and stay up there overnight....!

refusetobeasheep Sat 15-Aug-20 17:10:36

Can Darryl pop over and join this year?

VictoriousSockPuppet Sat 15-Aug-20 17:10:41

To be fair, your niece does a LOT of cleaning and cooking while she's there.
And the two boys are jolly helpful too

Bobbybobbins Sat 15-Aug-20 17:10:41

Definitely time to pack them off to a nearby lake overrun with escaped convicts to go diving for treasure in the dead of night! What could possibly go wrong?!

sleepyhead Sat 15-Aug-20 17:10:59

Yep, send them off on their bikes and let them bother the local farmers' wives for eggs and slabs of fruit cake.

Aesopfable Sat 15-Aug-20 17:11:28

They haven’t been to you every holiday! What about the trip to Cornwall? The cycling holiday? Staying with a school friend? Have you ever thought of actually taking your daughter on holiday with you rather than going off by yourselves all the time?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in