Talk

Advanced search

Is new tenant being a CF over free bed?

(57 Posts)
Carrotcakefiend Fri 14-Aug-20 12:54:33

So I am pretty sure I ANBU but asking just in case I've had a brain fart here...

I moved out of rented last month, and a new girl (NG) took over the lease. It's unfurnished but I didn't need the old bed, so offered to leave it... And she was keen at the time. I moved out 1st aug, leaving the bed frame (we cleared everything else and left it spotless).

Now NG has bought a mattress that doesn't fit the frame we left, and wants me to come back, dismantle (!) and remove the bedframe we left. For context, we gave it to her for free, and I said at the time that it was perfectly useable but not new... and she saw this bed during the viewing.

AIBU to tell her to FO? How politely do I tell her to FO?

OP’s posts: |
Shelley54 Fri 14-Aug-20 12:55:24

Just say "oh that's yours now, feel free to sell it on"

Hollyhocksarenotmessy Fri 14-Aug-20 12:56:17

Say it belongs to her as she accepted it from you. Up to her to dispose of it.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 14-Aug-20 12:56:56

It's her bed frame now, therefore her problem. Tell her so and then block her.

Yankathebear Fri 14-Aug-20 12:58:17

Why is she coming to you rather than the LL?

AryaStarkWolf Fri 14-Aug-20 12:59:51

I would just ignore the message and block her number, don't give it anymore headspace

Viviennemary Fri 14-Aug-20 13:03:00

Too late now. She accepted your offer and you left it. It's now her responsibility to dispose of it.

rebecca102 Fri 14-Aug-20 13:06:33

It's hers and hers to get rid of. I'd honestly laugh at someone if they tried doing this to me. She's being lazy and doesn't want the hassle of trying to get rid of it.

1Morewineplease Fri 14-Aug-20 13:08:19

Yes... it’s now her responsibility.

Biscusting Fri 14-Aug-20 13:10:02

Urgh my SIL did this to us, whines and moaned she had no bed for her new flat. We gave her our guest bed and new mattress, delivered and assembled it for her, (you know because families do things like that).
6 months later, doesn’t fancy living in the flat anymore because she shacked up with a new married man.
Cue phone call to us to collect bed etc at our expense. (Also in the middle of lockdown, but that’s a whole other thread).

The NG is being a CF —and may be my SIL—

rebecca102 Fri 14-Aug-20 13:10:30

FO= I asked you if you wanted it, you accepted, therefore it is yours now and yours to dispose of. It isn't my problem that you got the wrong sized mattress.

The end.

pooopypants Fri 14-Aug-20 13:11:42

"sorry to hear that. Please feel free to sell it or contact a charity who may be able to collect it"

Then block.

CF. Her, not you.

katy1213 Fri 14-Aug-20 13:13:06

Her bed, her problem. I wouldn't enter into discussion.

InDeoEstMeaFiducia Fri 14-Aug-20 13:14:20

Ignore and block. It's hers; you are not running a fucking bed delivery service.

YorkshireTeaIsTheBest Fri 14-Aug-20 13:22:34

Shelley54

Just say "oh that's yours now, feel free to sell it on"

This

Beautiful3 Fri 14-Aug-20 13:23:16

Just say that's yours now, do what you like with it.

dreamingbohemian Fri 14-Aug-20 13:27:28

Is she crazy?

Tell her to put it on freecycle and then block her.

EL8888 Fri 14-Aug-20 13:27:52

CF definitely. Her bed = her problem. Not your fault she can’t measure things properly

Elouera Fri 14-Aug-20 13:33:12

Tell her: ' No, I cant come and dismantle the bed, because all my bed bug sores are still flared up!!!' grin

In seriousness, she bought the wrong sized mattess. She either buys the correct size, sells or donates the bed. Also, why is she asking you and not the landlord. how does she even have your number?

Carrotcakefiend Fri 14-Aug-20 13:36:42

@InDeoEstMeaFiducia 😂

Carrotcakefiend Fri 14-Aug-20 13:38:33

Thank you all for reassuring that I've not missed some unknown responsibility for donated beds!

@Biscusting love the idea that this person is you SIL... And just has this pattern of behaviour!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:01:09

Unless it's an Ikea bedframe i'd tell her to jog on. Bit different if it WAS an Ikea one though as obviously they are continental sizes and UK sized matresses/sheets/ etc dont fit and lost of people don't know this and get caught out.

Thringsandthings Fri 14-Aug-20 14:11:32

Perhaps you could respond that you thought that you were giving her the bed at the time, but that if she was under the impression it was still yours and you are still responsible for it then she should be paying back-rent to you for loan of the bed.

MyOwnSummer Fri 14-Aug-20 14:15:32

I feel you, OP - massive CF. I am not sure why furniture seems to lead to such CFery, it seems to be a recurring theme if you spend any time on Gumtree, FB marketplace etc.

She sounds a bit like my tenant. I left him two very high quality hardwood double bed frames in the house that he said he wanted to use, and as a goodwill gesture paid for good quality brand new mattresses for both of them. A few months down the line, he is wanting to dispose of one of the beds for a fraction of their value so that he could put something smaller in.

He got told to eff off in not so many words! "The bed and brand new mattress is part of the inventory that you signed for, and if it is not there at the end of the tenancy then you'll see that reflected in your deposit."

Say no, block her, enjoy your day and give it no more headspace.

User43210 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:16:16

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1

Unless it's an Ikea bedframe i'd tell her to jog on. Bit different if it WAS an Ikea one though as obviously they are continental sizes and UK sized matresses/sheets/ etc dont fit and lost of people don't know this and get caught out.

I was wondering this @Carrotcakefiend was it an IKEA bed and, if so, did you tell her this?

I do think it's her own fault and she's BU however there could be a grey area if she thought it was a single/double but it was an IKEA size then I can understand the message, although I feel you would have disclosed this and she would have mentioned to you in the message.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in