Talk

Advanced search

9 sets of twins start 9 different schools in the same local authority!

(105 Posts)
GreatestShowUnicorn Wed 12-Aug-20 22:01:26

Is it a slow news day? My local school have four sets in two p1 classes, I don’t think this is that unusual and this uniforms OMG! Is that really needed for p1
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/teachers-seeing-double-nine-sets-22505623?fbclid=IwAR23unB4adTpnNrwFhdmERoa79Ku-lkyI8A_AY3TSO_8DcmGV8VGOp7aCok

OP’s posts: |
nancy75 Wed 12-Aug-20 22:04:51

When my Dd started school her year they 11 sets of twins (3 form entry school) 4 sets were identical. Must have been a nightmare for the teachers & definitely affected the catchment area for the school that year

hadtojoin Wed 12-Aug-20 22:09:35

My village school with only 3 classes had 3 sets if identical twins in one class and 2 non identical in another class.

Ellisandra Wed 12-Aug-20 22:11:33

I love the uniforms!

BogRollBOGOF Wed 12-Aug-20 22:13:20

I knew two sets of twins at school who were born on the same day.

My tutor group had 2.5 sets of twins. Two complete pairs and one of a seperated pair.

SmileTolerantly Wed 12-Aug-20 22:13:30

Well it’s not as if there’s anything else for a Scottish education correspondent to write about today.

GetTheDoorFrank Wed 12-Aug-20 22:23:23

Always happens when its back to school time i dont mind it its something nice for parents to look back on with their kids when older

Violetroselily Wed 12-Aug-20 22:26:14

How is this news?

Same school I could understand the minor interest. But same LA? confused

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 12-Aug-20 22:31:54

Hardly outstanding news. Dd was in a 2 class Primary. 4 sets twins, 2 identical, 2 not.

Littlepond Wed 12-Aug-20 22:36:22

I live in a borough which has, at least in the past, been the borough with the most multiple births in the UK. I work in a primary school and last year there were 4 sets of twins in year R across 3 classes. 9 in a borough is small fry!

Hippee Wed 12-Aug-20 22:38:43

Our school has at least 2 sets of twins per year and one year has 6 sets of twins (3 form entry).

CoRhona Wed 12-Aug-20 22:42:04

I think it's a really sweet story smile

DisgruntledSnowman Wed 12-Aug-20 22:45:21

Are uniforms usually so formal in Scotland? They all look like private school uniforms, as opposed to the regular state school kit of trousers and sweatshirt here in SE England.

kierenthecommunity Wed 12-Aug-20 22:46:01

How are teachers ‘seeing double’ when several of those pairs of twins are clearly non identical? 🤔

RAOK Wed 12-Aug-20 22:47:48

They always do big twins features in Scotland when the schools go back. I like the uniforms too.

Boohoohoohooho Wed 12-Aug-20 22:48:02

Well it’s not as if there’s anything else for a Scottish education correspondent to write about today

😂

x2boys Wed 12-Aug-20 22:48:33

Yes I wouldn't have thought it was that remarkable in a whole borough ,the uniforms are very cute though .

RAOK Wed 12-Aug-20 22:48:46

DisgruntledSnowman

Are uniforms usually so formal in Scotland? They all look like private school uniforms, as opposed to the regular state school kit of trousers and sweatshirt here in SE England.

Yes!

Bowerbird5 Wed 12-Aug-20 22:50:15

We had three sets of twins ( 2 sets were identical) and a set of triplets in the same nursery.

homecomingcabbie Wed 12-Aug-20 22:53:11

Violetroselily

How is this news?

Same school I could understand the minor interest. But same LA? confused

Because that area always has large numbers of twins and the photo has become a tradition each year

lyralalala Wed 12-Aug-20 23:00:51

DisgruntledSnowman

They can be. Lots have a "Tartan or black skirt" type uniform option.

So day 1 of P1 all have immaculate uniforms. By the time they go up the school it gets far more like the 2 wee boys with the school jumper, shirt and tie on.

When my nieces started school my SIL loved the wee kilts they had. Then by P2 they'd been ditched for plain navy skirts that weren't a fucker to iron.

Generally there's a black/navy/grey trousers/jumper option because in Scotland schools can't actually enforce uniform the same way they can in England.

ifhedoesntlikeithecanstuffit Wed 12-Aug-20 23:09:36

Surprised at the numbers in the article, and from PPs comments. My DTs were the only ones throughout primary school until - I think, the last year when a pair joined reception. Small school, 120 ish, but they went up to secondary last year and were still afaik the only twins in year 7. Much bigger school, 160 in each year group.

I wonder if there is a reason for some areas having higher numbers? Local family history/genetics? Higher numbers of multiples due to IVF (as with ours)? There must be some demographic explanation you'd think......

Dogwalks2 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:12:50

Love their smiley faces. Good luck to them all. School uniform in Scotland is very old fashioned my brother had a school cap 30 years ago at our state school. I do think they look really cute in their uniforms and look really proud in them.

Blackbear19 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:12:54

9 sets of twins across a LA isn't actually that many.
Is it not something like 1 in 60 pregnancies produce twins so on average for a 60 kid intake you'd expect one set of twins.

lyralalala Wed 12-Aug-20 23:16:38

Blackbear19

9 sets of twins across a LA isn't actually that many.
Is it not something like 1 in 60 pregnancies produce twins so on average for a 60 kid intake you'd expect one set of twins.

It is one of the smallest LA's in Scotland. So it having the highest number of twins is a quirk that is worthy of a photo in the paper

Be interesting to see how many sets there are this year. They'll have a bumper year if none of next years defer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in