Talk

Advanced search

To tell school they're just back from Spain

(164 Posts)
malloo Mon 10-Aug-20 21:35:16

In Scotland so schools start back this week. Family with DC in DS's class got back from Spain less than a week ago so should be isolating for 14 days but.... they are sending their kids back this week.

So, should I tell the school? They could be infected and therefore put others at risk. At best it would be inconvenient having to isolate and kids staying home from school again. Or is it none of my business? Not even sure what the school can do about it.

YABU - don't tell, sure they'll be fine
YANBU - tell school, they're being irresponsible

OP’s posts: |
Wheresthebiffer2 Mon 10-Aug-20 21:38:13

I think I would tell the school. School will (hopefully) ask the pertinent questions - and it would be a brazen parent that lied in that situation. They're probably hoping to sneak in under the radar, but barefaced lieing is another matter.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 10-Aug-20 21:39:47

I’d tell them tbh

nevergoingoutagain Mon 10-Aug-20 21:40:21

I would tell.

nevergoingoutagain Mon 10-Aug-20 21:41:09

Sorry posted too soon! This isn't just a school rule its government guidelines on a global pandemic....what is wrong with people?!

ParcelFarce Mon 10-Aug-20 21:42:52

Tell the school. 100%. YANBU at all

Tomorrowillbeachicken Mon 10-Aug-20 21:44:20

Pretty sure they can get a lovely fine too by sending the child

AmyandPhilipfan Mon 10-Aug-20 21:46:29

Can you tell the family that if they follow through and send the children in you will be telling the school? To give them a chance to do the right thing.

suriv Mon 10-Aug-20 21:46:50

Interesting....a friend is going to the canaries retuning a week before school goes back. They are planning on trying to keep it quiet. My DD goes to summer club with her DS so would have two days together before back to school.

I wasn't sure whether I'd be being a bit harsh grassing them up given the canaries aren't that badly affected and many are saying they should have just said mainland Spain....

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Mon 10-Aug-20 21:49:05

Yes, I wouldn’t hesitate. I’d also tell the employers of I knew those too.

The rules are there to keep others safe, knowingly ignoring it and doing nothing would be just as bad I would feel.

Stuckforthefourthtime Mon 10-Aug-20 21:50:12

@suriv canaries aren't that affected for now, but they will have travelled through airports and on planes full of Spanish nationals. Maybe it depends on the local rate in your area, but if it's generally very low then I think they're doing the wrong thing by going back.

Whatafustercluck Mon 10-Aug-20 21:51:59

Yanbu.

But is quarantine voluntary? I was on a Facebook group last night as someone was asking about the situation in France and whether they should still go or not. A guy responded that isolation in Spain's case is 'voluntary'. If so, not sure what the school can do.

Edel2019 Mon 10-Aug-20 21:52:13

Definitely tell 🙌🏻

LizzieBlackwell Mon 10-Aug-20 21:53:11

I’m a big fan of keeping my nose out of stuff but I’d tell the school on this one.

My kids need to go back to school. I wouldn’t want no fucker fucking that up!

Eloise97 Mon 10-Aug-20 21:53:51

@malloo you can't not tell them!! If god forbid your child infected someone else how would you feel??

How would you feel if it was the other way around??

IdblowJonSnow Mon 10-Aug-20 21:54:52

I dont think it's voluntary! No one would do it in that case surely? Well, very few.
I'd grass them up. Will they know it's you?
They wont be the only ones though.

Eloise97 Mon 10-Aug-20 21:55:32

@malloo sorry misread the post smile

Figgygal Mon 10-Aug-20 21:56:51

Yes I’d tell too

Foxinthechickencoop Mon 10-Aug-20 21:57:23

Wow! You should definitely tell the school.

See this is exactly why I am worried about DC going back to school. There are a lot of selfish families out there. Some of the children in the class could live with vulnerable adults! Christ this is absolutely disgusting behaviour. I don’t think I could keep my opinion to myself if I knew someone planning to do this and I would definitely Be reporting it and telling them so. Absolutely bloody selfish.
And all the poor teachers, they are very right to be worried about going back with selfish attitudes like this .
We have a parent who is notorious for sending DC to school or preschool after having sick bugs. And although I’m lucky my DC isn’t prone to them, there are a few kids who always seem to pick it up and it’s such a selfish attitude.

Starlightstarbright1 Mon 10-Aug-20 21:58:55

I can’t bear how everyone has become the police about other people since Covid.

So no I would leave them to it.

Gogogadgetarms Mon 10-Aug-20 22:00:40

I would tell them.

ThatDamnScientist Mon 10-Aug-20 22:07:26

@malloo YADNBU to tell, people like this are selfish. They are the people who will be the cause of schools shutting again.

@suriv In your case I would inform the holiday club and school.

Enoughnowstop Mon 10-Aug-20 22:11:55

And so it starts....

Boom45 Mon 10-Aug-20 22:12:21

See, I actually think the quarantine is a huge over reaction - people who have holidayed in parts of the UK with higher infection rates than lots of Spain. However, I still think I'd tell the school. The quarantine is in place and with public health stuff - even if it turns out to be unnecessary - people should follow the rules.

stayathomer Mon 10-Aug-20 22:14:24

And so it starts....

Unfortunately sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in