Talk

Advanced search

to think the nurse at my surgery is being unreasonable?!?!?!

(23 Posts)
sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 12:30:55

I went in for a new pill perscription today and the nurse weighed and measured me she then told me that i was overweight and that i should probably loose between 5 - 7lbs to be on the healthier side! shock

What's annoyed me about this is that i don't consider myself to be overweight i'm 5'1" and weigh around 8st 11lb......am i deluded in my thinking?

scorpio1 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:31:37

She was probably ticking a target box!

Twiglett Mon 01-Oct-07 12:32:37

I refuse to be weighed at the surgery

none of their business with their tick boxes

how very dare they

cornsilk Mon 01-Oct-07 12:33:41

Cheeky cow! What was her weight like then?

Gingerbear Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:41

5ft 1 and 8st 11lb - your BMI is 23.2 - tell her where to go - you are in the healthy weight range!

IdrisTheDragon Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:44

I think there must be a directive to weigh people as when I went to the GPs to get a new pill prescription I got weighed (the most recent weight they had for me was from when I was in early stages of pregnancy with DD and so was rather less than now).

She didn't suggest I needed to lose any weight though and I'm about 9.5 stone and 5 foot 4, so I don't see why it was "suggested" to you.

sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:49

Mmmmm maybe she was just ticking boxes.....but i certainly won't be getting bloody weighed there again...

<<<<<sits alone in paranioa about weight and eating celery>>>>>>

sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 12:37:56

thank you gingerbear i did say i thought i was in the healthy range but she said 'well maybe a couple of pounds then just to be on the safe side'....

IdreamofClooney Mon 01-Oct-07 12:43:40

God - I really mustn;t get wieghed at the doctors then!

Perhaps the NHS has been affected by the size zero trend too.

When I read your wieght and hieght I thought "skinny cow" so I really cannot see how you can be expected to lose weight. Did you have your clothes on?

I am still upset by the midwife who insisted on wieghing me while I was fully dressed plus wearing a winter coat and boots and had my keys, purse phone etc in my pockets!

mustsleep Mon 01-Oct-07 12:44:28

jesus i miust be obese then i'm 5'2 and weigh nearly 10 stone

lucyellensmum Mon 01-Oct-07 13:47:36

5' 2" and 13 stone and i couldnt give a shite. Who's business is it but mine (well and you lot now ive just told you lol) but ffs!!! Actually do want to lose some weight for health reasons as i am better at around 10-11 stone, but i dont have a problem with my body image - if anyone else does, they can kiss my rather ample behind!

OrmIrian Mon 01-Oct-07 13:54:35

YANBU sparkles. I don't see what it's got to do with her as you are within a healthy range. Have you put on a lot of weight since you last saw her?

I find that they weigh you as soon as you get in the door these days! It's a bit of an obession.

tobysmumkent Mon 01-Oct-07 13:59:01

Message withdrawn

belgo Mon 01-Oct-07 14:00:04

I'm with twiglett. I also refuse to be weighed. They can tell by looking at me if I'm overweight or not.

belgo Mon 01-Oct-07 14:00:44

And I really can't believe that someone who weighs less then 9st is overweight!

sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 15:00:24

OrmIrian I have actually put on about a stone since i was last weighed there but tbh i think i look better for it - LOL maybe not thoughblushgrin

Thanks you lot i'll just sit and eat cakes for the next 6 months and see what she has to say next time lol!

glitterchick Mon 01-Oct-07 20:53:50

Shut-up everyone. Your all so.........skinny. I stand no chance envy

Sidge Mon 01-Oct-07 21:03:49

Being unreasonable to weigh you? No.

Being unreasonable to tell you to lose weight with a BMI of 23.2? Yes.

I know we have to record a BMI for every single patient on our books, but blimey, she's a bit overzealous telling you to get half a stone off!!!

OrmIrian Tue 02-Oct-07 10:04:28

sidge - sounds as if you are knowledgeable in this area ? Is it a new practice to weight patients at every visit? This year I've been weighed when I went for an athsma review and when I tore an ankle ligament. Not that I really mind that much, but I don't remember ever being weighed before unless I was pregnant.

Sidge Tue 02-Oct-07 22:08:54

Weighing at every visit sounds a bit much to me, OrmIrian.

We have to have a recorded BMI (ie height and weight) for every patient to satisfy audit criteria, so we may do this when we can - if someone comes in for an asthma check we might grab the opportunity to get their BMI recorded. (Same for smoking status - another box we have to tick).

But if I can see a BMI recorded on the computer within the last year I wouldn't do it again, unless it was pertinent to the consultation. (eg for weight management, obvious weight change in the patient, possibly contraception).

HelloMama Tue 02-Oct-07 22:23:55

Not unreasonable to weigh you as you should be weighed everytime you have a new combined pill prescription because if you go over a certain BMI (28+) then it may be deemed that the pill is no longer suitable. This is because people with a BMI greater than 28 on the combined pill have a significant increased risk of a blood clot. Also some people do really put on weight on the pill, thus also the reason why weight should be kept an eye on every time a new prescription is given.

However, your BMI sounds absolutely fine, and I would definitely not be in the business of lecturing you about you weight on that basis! so for that, no, YANBU! grrrr!

Deludinoid Tue 02-Oct-07 22:52:44

Her overweight comment was not just unreasonable but downright stupid and irresponsible. Is there a practice manager you can mention this to? Imagine if that were a young vulnerable girl she said that to? (Not that I'm saying you're not young but you know what I mean!)

OrmIrian Wed 03-Oct-07 12:56:53

I see sidge. Thankyou. The first visit was with a nurse and the second was the GP. So maybe the GP thought it hasn't been done? I have lost a bit of weight but I wouldn't have thought it was that noticeable since a year or so ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: