Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think the nurse at my surgery is being unreasonable?!?!?!

(23 Posts)
sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 12:30:55

I went in for a new pill perscription today and the nurse weighed and measured me she then told me that i was overweight and that i should probably loose between 5 - 7lbs to be on the healthier side! shock

What's annoyed me about this is that i don't consider myself to be overweight i'm 5'1" and weigh around 8st 11lb......am i deluded in my thinking?

scorpio1 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:31:37

She was probably ticking a target box!

Twiglett Mon 01-Oct-07 12:32:37

I refuse to be weighed at the surgery

none of their business with their tick boxes

how very dare they

cornsilk Mon 01-Oct-07 12:33:41

Cheeky cow! What was her weight like then?

Gingerbear Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:41

5ft 1 and 8st 11lb - your BMI is 23.2 - tell her where to go - you are in the healthy weight range!

IdrisTheDragon Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:44

I think there must be a directive to weigh people as when I went to the GPs to get a new pill prescription I got weighed (the most recent weight they had for me was from when I was in early stages of pregnancy with DD and so was rather less than now).

She didn't suggest I needed to lose any weight though and I'm about 9.5 stone and 5 foot 4, so I don't see why it was "suggested" to you.

sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 12:35:49

Mmmmm maybe she was just ticking boxes.....but i certainly won't be getting bloody weighed there again...

<<<<<sits alone in paranioa about weight and eating celery>>>>>>

sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 12:37:56

thank you gingerbear i did say i thought i was in the healthy range but she said 'well maybe a couple of pounds then just to be on the safe side'....

IdreamofClooney Mon 01-Oct-07 12:43:40

God - I really mustn;t get wieghed at the doctors then!

Perhaps the NHS has been affected by the size zero trend too.

When I read your wieght and hieght I thought "skinny cow" so I really cannot see how you can be expected to lose weight. Did you have your clothes on?

I am still upset by the midwife who insisted on wieghing me while I was fully dressed plus wearing a winter coat and boots and had my keys, purse phone etc in my pockets!

mustsleep Mon 01-Oct-07 12:44:28

jesus i miust be obese then i'm 5'2 and weigh nearly 10 stone

lucyellensmum Mon 01-Oct-07 13:47:36

5' 2" and 13 stone and i couldnt give a shite. Who's business is it but mine (well and you lot now ive just told you lol) but ffs!!! Actually do want to lose some weight for health reasons as i am better at around 10-11 stone, but i dont have a problem with my body image - if anyone else does, they can kiss my rather ample behind!

OrmIrian Mon 01-Oct-07 13:54:35

YANBU sparkles. I don't see what it's got to do with her as you are within a healthy range. Have you put on a lot of weight since you last saw her?

I find that they weigh you as soon as you get in the door these days! It's a bit of an obession.

tobysmumkent Mon 01-Oct-07 13:59:01

Message withdrawn

belgo Mon 01-Oct-07 14:00:04

I'm with twiglett. I also refuse to be weighed. They can tell by looking at me if I'm overweight or not.

belgo Mon 01-Oct-07 14:00:44

And I really can't believe that someone who weighs less then 9st is overweight!

sparklesandwine Mon 01-Oct-07 15:00:24

OrmIrian I have actually put on about a stone since i was last weighed there but tbh i think i look better for it - LOL maybe not thoughblushgrin

Thanks you lot i'll just sit and eat cakes for the next 6 months and see what she has to say next time lol!

glitterchick Mon 01-Oct-07 20:53:50

Shut-up everyone. Your all so.........skinny. I stand no chance envy

Sidge Mon 01-Oct-07 21:03:49

Being unreasonable to weigh you? No.

Being unreasonable to tell you to lose weight with a BMI of 23.2? Yes.

I know we have to record a BMI for every single patient on our books, but blimey, she's a bit overzealous telling you to get half a stone off!!!

OrmIrian Tue 02-Oct-07 10:04:28

sidge - sounds as if you are knowledgeable in this area ? Is it a new practice to weight patients at every visit? This year I've been weighed when I went for an athsma review and when I tore an ankle ligament. Not that I really mind that much, but I don't remember ever being weighed before unless I was pregnant.

Sidge Tue 02-Oct-07 22:08:54

Weighing at every visit sounds a bit much to me, OrmIrian.

We have to have a recorded BMI (ie height and weight) for every patient to satisfy audit criteria, so we may do this when we can - if someone comes in for an asthma check we might grab the opportunity to get their BMI recorded. (Same for smoking status - another box we have to tick).

But if I can see a BMI recorded on the computer within the last year I wouldn't do it again, unless it was pertinent to the consultation. (eg for weight management, obvious weight change in the patient, possibly contraception).

HelloMama Tue 02-Oct-07 22:23:55

Not unreasonable to weigh you as you should be weighed everytime you have a new combined pill prescription because if you go over a certain BMI (28+) then it may be deemed that the pill is no longer suitable. This is because people with a BMI greater than 28 on the combined pill have a significant increased risk of a blood clot. Also some people do really put on weight on the pill, thus also the reason why weight should be kept an eye on every time a new prescription is given.

However, your BMI sounds absolutely fine, and I would definitely not be in the business of lecturing you about you weight on that basis! so for that, no, YANBU! grrrr!

Deludinoid Tue 02-Oct-07 22:52:44

Her overweight comment was not just unreasonable but downright stupid and irresponsible. Is there a practice manager you can mention this to? Imagine if that were a young vulnerable girl she said that to? (Not that I'm saying you're not young but you know what I mean!)

OrmIrian Wed 03-Oct-07 12:56:53

I see sidge. Thankyou. The first visit was with a nurse and the second was the GP. So maybe the GP thought it hasn't been done? I have lost a bit of weight but I wouldn't have thought it was that noticeable since a year or so ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now