Talk

Advanced search

Who is BU - School or DH

(195 Posts)
Ownerofmultiplechimps Mon 13-Jul-20 21:27:15

Ds school have said must bring own drinks every day & cannot use cups/taps etc due to Covid restrictions. I forgot to put ds drink in his bag so he’s gone 8hrs without a drink (is fine, had a drink before & as soon as home). Ds did ask but teachers said no as above.

DH is furious, thinks they should not have said no or at least called me/us to drop off his water in a socially distant manner (bottle was in the fridge & I’ve been WFH in office all day so didn’t notice).

School response was just quoting instructions.

I think as a one off, my fault & no harm done just leave it but DH disagrees.

OP’s posts: |
Rachierach11 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:31:34

It's not the end of the world I guess but I'd be upset if my son told the school that he didn't have a drink and they didn't try to rectify it somehow. They certainly should have given you a quick call to see if you were able to drop something off.

Rachierach11 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:31:45

It's not the end of the world I guess but I'd be upset if my son told the school that he didn't have a drink and they didn't try to rectify it somehow. They certainly should have given you a quick call to see if you were able to drop something off.

OoohTheStatsDontLie Mon 13-Jul-20 21:32:36

People are going to forget drinks sometimes and leaving a child without a drink all day is not an acceptable back up. Fair enough them saying kids cant reuse cups or get themselves drinks. But they could have a few disposable paper cups and pour some water in for kids who have forgotten their bottles and then get them to put them in the bin after. I'm not sure how that spreads covid.

RedskyAtnight Mon 13-Jul-20 21:32:51

How old is he? Unless he's very young, I'd be inclined to say it's up to him to remember his bottle and not having a drink when he'd forgotten was just natural consequences.

I don't think going a school day without a drink is a particularly big deal as long as it wasn't very hot and he didn't get dehydrated (did he?)

back2good Mon 13-Jul-20 21:33:23

It's summer. They should have called you or given him a plastic cup for the day.

That's one I do with my class.

AhNowTed Mon 13-Jul-20 21:33:43

DH is an idiot. Furious is he LOL. Schools have enough to do without wiping up after every forgetful parent.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 13-Jul-20 21:33:55

Leaving a child without water who asks for it is unacceptable.

School IBU.

icelollycraving Mon 13-Jul-20 21:33:56

I think it’s pretty shoddy tbh of the school. It was quite warm here today. Saying that Ds never bloody drinks his water in his school bag.

WorraLiberty Mon 13-Jul-20 21:34:08

You've forgotten to put his age in the OP

I think YANBU but really they could've phoned home.

Burtrix7 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:34:34

I work in a school and we have disposable cups available exactly for this reason. A very simple solution and I'm surprised by the school's response.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 13-Jul-20 21:34:56

They didn't even provide a cup of water with his lunch?

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 13-Jul-20 21:35:37

Also....could he not just have had a drink straight from the tap in the loo? Not ideal but if he was thirsty....

netflixismysidehustle Mon 13-Jul-20 21:35:37

Did he not have a drink in his lunchbox/with his school dinner?

netflixismysidehustle Mon 13-Jul-20 21:35:48

ButteryPuffin Mon 13-Jul-20 21:35:59

Can't use taps due to Covid? Really? hmm How is anyone in the school washing their hands then? I would have expected the school to come up with a solution even if it was that he had to have a cup of water poured by an adult.

netflixismysidehustle Mon 13-Jul-20 21:36:03

lyralalala Mon 13-Jul-20 21:36:10

I'd be pissed off with that. That wouldn't happen in any school I've ever worked in

How old is your DS?

netflixismysidehustle Mon 13-Jul-20 21:36:13

bettyboo40 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:37:12

In my school there are a few bottles of water in every classroom for those who have forgotten, although they are usually never drunk so it hasn't cost the school much money. My own DD forgot to take her drink today but was thankfully only in for a few hours but I wouldn't have liked the thought of her going all day without a drink.

Rhubardandcustard Mon 13-Jul-20 21:37:54

Not acceptable in any circumstances. I’d be fuming with school - wtf were they thinking.

olympicsrock Mon 13-Jul-20 21:38:48

School was pretty negligent in my opinion . Dreadful!

Ownerofmultiplechimps Mon 13-Jul-20 21:39:19

Apologies, he’s 7. It’s packed lunches only at the minute, they’ve always taken own bottles but been able to refill from tap or use a cup if forgotten. Now with Covid restrictions it’s own bottles, filled with enough for the day as no refills or cups available. He does usually drink the whole thing in a school day (about 800ml).

OP’s posts: |
MaryShelley1818 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:39:46

I think that's appalling. Forgetting a drink.is an accident, knowingly leaving a child all day with no access to a drink of water is honestly disgraceful.
I have worked with children for many years, some of those in schools and would never have treated a child like that.

Fedup21 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:39:59

Since Covid, my school have bottles of water available in the kitchen and if a child forgets theirs, they are given one and the parents charged 50p.

They don’t forget very often.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in