Talk

Advanced search

to just do the thing that DD said?

(155 Posts)
PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 01:31:45

Because I said yes and then realised I had tuned her out?

She is 9, lovely, sweet and not a piss taker. We talk a lot but I do tune a fair bit out, especially since the Apocalypse. I have 6 kids, you kind of have to do this to survive. Its not that I dont care but there really is only so much you can take in!

So today we had a chat and then I was ..... fuck it. I was on MN. And I got the noise but not the words and then she said "Can we do that when lockdown is over?" So I said yes as I couldnt bear to ask her wtf I was agreeing to. And now she is planning "it". Whatever the hell "it" is!

I mentioned it to mum on the phone and she came up with all sorts of ways to find out what it is, but I am thinking we should just do it. A) to assuage my guilt and B) because it could be fun!

I was also thinking that I make her project manager so if its a home based thing she gives me a shopping list and if its out and about she gives me directions.....

What do we think?

OP’s posts: |
katie43210 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:33:42

I'm a bit confused... Did you just say yes to agree with your 9 year old without knowing what she wanted?

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 01:34:28

Pretty much!

katie43210 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:34:32

Because I've got a 9 year old and I dread to think what you've just signed up to.

katie43210 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:35:07

I wish you luck... You're gonna need it.

Weenurse Sun 12-Jul-20 01:35:11

This could be fun

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 01:35:53

Because I wasnt listening and I felt bad,

It may be something to do with Mister Maker as she has been rewatching them, and was quite excited about the idea she had.....

Sugarplumfairy65 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:36:16

Put your phone down and listen to your kids. Thank fuck that when mine were young there were no mobile phones and social media!

katie43210 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:36:30

The last thing I subconsciously agreed to by my 9 year old was being pretty much buried alive so she could learn about photosynthesis... Tell her she dreamt about your agreement

Lightofthephoenix Sun 12-Jul-20 01:36:42

I hate those moments

Hopefully your mum can just ask if DD has anything nice planned for later on this month/next month.

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 01:37:07

Oh shit.

Just read that back. Its going to be expensive and probably messy isnt it?

katie43210 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:37:55

Disclaimer* I was cleaning my oven, not on my phone... Just so any perfect parents know

GrumpyHoonMain Sun 12-Jul-20 01:38:00

Be honest that you don’t remember, apologise for being distracted , and ask her to repeat her request. If it’s reasonable then of course you should do it but she’s 9 years old - so you need to be the adult here and find out what her request is.

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 01:38:17

Sugarplumfairy65

Put your phone down and listen to your kids. Thank fuck that when mine were young there were no mobile phones and social media!

My eldest is 30 this year..... I tuned him out sometimes too!

I dont do it often, honest!

katie43210 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:38:17

Yes. And it may hurt

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 01:39:35

GrumpyHoonMain

Be honest that you don’t remember, apologise for being distracted , and ask her to repeat her request. If it’s reasonable then of course you should do it but she’s 9 years old - so you need to be the adult here and find out what her request is.

I was thinking of saying to her "You know that plan? Can you tell me again because I forgot some of it"

I wont say no, but at least I will be forewarned!

ThisMustBeMyDream Sun 12-Jul-20 01:48:16

Fuck I do this all the time. My son has autism and adhd, and he goes on and on and on and on and I just can't understand his wittetings. I've agreed to more shit than I care to ever admit to. Then had to extract myself out of.

He actually has a talent for slyly getting shit out of me. 😬

TigerDroveAgain Sun 12-Jul-20 01:51:21

It might be something perfectly innocuous

But if not I’d bet you have slightly better negotiating skills than a 9 year old

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 12-Jul-20 02:00:56

TigerDroveAgain

It might be something perfectly innocuous

But if not I’d bet you have slightly better negotiating skills than a 9 year old

Yeah, you'd think.....but after 30 years of being beaten down by the little basta.....darlings, not so much...

sofan Sun 12-Jul-20 02:09:20

grinI have the same problem! They talk so much at times

Mothership4two Sun 12-Jul-20 02:22:02

If it were one of mine I would just ask her because I had forgotten what it was. My kids wouldn't be offended

Then stand back, keep your fingers crossed, and hopefully it's something harmless, age appropriate and inexpensive! grin

Monty27 Sun 12-Jul-20 02:47:31

Ask her to write a shopping list for it and take it from there grin
Do keep us posted and good luck grin

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 12-Jul-20 03:15:13

Take her for a long walk. That always gets mine blabbing about her plans.

user1473878824 Sun 12-Jul-20 03:18:55

Sugarplumfairy65

If only everyone was more like you....

LunaNorth Sun 12-Jul-20 03:21:00

You’re so getting a puppy...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in