Talk

Advanced search

To think hairdressers are CF?

(385 Posts)
AuntyBess Sat 04-Jul-20 12:25:31

Passing on PPE charge to customers.

angry

Have been going 30 years to this chain.

In the last 10 since going grey, I've visited every 17 days damn you fast growing hair currently £58 per visit. Then hair cut every 3 months at approx another £50.

AIBU to think they should absorb this cost?

OP’s posts: |
AnyFucker Sat 04-Jul-20 12:27:24

Don't use them then

It's not compulsory

Jumblebumblemess Sat 04-Jul-20 12:27:53

Depending on how much they are charging (I have seen some obscene costs), no I don't think it is cheeky. They could have just put up the prices overall and you would never know it was for ppe. This is an unprecedented situation and they have to be financially viable.

hashtagbollocks Sat 04-Jul-20 12:28:46

They could absorb the cost, yes; but then you'll find your haircut costs £65 per visit.
And what the fuck are you having done to your hair that costs £58 every 17 days?

Bluntness100 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:28:56

No I don’t think they should absorb the cost. Either bring your own or buy the ones they can provide.

RaspberryToupee Sat 04-Jul-20 12:29:03

What and go out of business?

Hairdressers can see less clients due to social distancing. They now have to use PPE. They still have all the previous costs - rent, dyes, products, electricity...

People will have to pay more for lots of services now. It’s that simple.

Bluntness100 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:29:41

I’m also curious though what you have done every seventeen days.

undercoveraessedai Sat 04-Jul-20 12:29:44

My hairdresser is absorbing these costs. But she's also had three months unable to work or earn, new business so zero government help, and is booked solid from today till October to try to catch up.

A salon which employs people may well be close to going under and PPE is expensive.

If you can afford £58 haircuts every 17 days, a bit extra for PPE presumably isn't going to break the bank?

So yab a bit u, but I understand where you're coming from.

Babs709 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:29:47

And what the fuck are you having done to your hair that costs £58 every 17 days? yes I was curious about that!

Picklypickles Sat 04-Jul-20 12:30:03

What do you think the rest of us who can't afford salon colours every 2 weeks do?! If you can't afford it get a box-dye and DIY!

PinkiOcelot Sat 04-Jul-20 12:30:07

If you wore your own would that then cancel out their charge?

I do think it’s cheeky charging customers though.

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jul-20 12:30:26

No they're not.

duvetaddict Sat 04-Jul-20 12:30:39

Yabu, their costs have gone up and they are being upfront about increasing costs. They could have just raised prices, it's not compulsory to go! I'm more than happy to pay any extra £3

Goyle Sat 04-Jul-20 12:30:45

Nothing to add about the cost but you go to the hairdressers a lot!

tealandteal Sat 04-Jul-20 12:31:12

Every 17 days? Surely you can go less often than that?! I don't think they are unreasonable, I don't mind paying any extra couple of quid but then I don't go twice a month!

Mintychoc1 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:03

Out of curiosity, why don’t people dye their own hair these days?

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:20

Do you really get your hair coloured every 17 days? Nobody forces you to go that often

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:20

How much are they charging?

It might be once things level out a bit , they will absorb the cost .
But they are not an essential service and you can choose where you wish to have your haircut , this isn't the only salon.

If your salon has been closed 100+ days and now has had to make drastic changes in client numbers and what they can actually do , then they aren't out of the woods .
You choose to attend there , you absorb the cost .

DianaT1969 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:27

Many stylists are freelance and have had no income for 4 months. Missing the point of the thread, but you could embrace the grey OP. It's liberating! Mine genuinely looks 10x better than when I had the roots dyed every month. Most people think it's highlights.

sownahsk Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:43

These people haven't worked for months. I'm sure plenty of people would be glad of your appointment so just don't go if you're that bothered!!

Mmmmycorona Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:47

Why should they pay for ppe? They didn’t ask for coronavirus to come about. And you want your hair done so suck it up or don’t have your hair done.

VettiyaIruken Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:47

Go a little longer between visits and you'll save a bit so won't feel the extra few quid

Qwicky Sat 04-Jul-20 12:33:13

Christ, you're paying £116 a month for just ... what, a cut? They're mugging you off for more than PPE!

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jul-20 12:34:35

I dont do mine at home as I have highlights and lowlights and I'm not going to attempt using foils and bleach on my own hair. When I had brunette hair I used box dye

WendyHoused Sat 04-Jul-20 12:34:53

They’ve been unable to work for months. Why on earth should they absorb extra costs?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in