Talk

Advanced search

I feel guilty booking a table in a restaurant!

(41 Posts)
SuzieBishop Fri 03-Jul-20 19:12:05

I live in a Scottish city and I was checking our favourite restaurant to see if they were taking bookings yet. I think it’s the 15th of July they’re allowed to open. So they were and I booked a table for the very end of this month. I feel uneasy about it though! I reeeeeally want to go out and have a lovely steak and support a local business but on the other hand it just won’t be the same and is it too soon? I just wondered what everyone’s thoughts are so
YABU - it’s too soon, don’t go
YANBU - get a steak down you

OP’s posts: |
Paul72 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:10:58

I'm in Scotland and our local restaurant has been doing carry out a few days each week. they will open on 15th July and I've booked a table for 16th. I would have booked the 15th but I booked a hairdresser for my wife on 15th so don't want to have a mad rush. (Apparently she loves me so much as I managed to get that appointment lol)

Wishimaywishimight Fri 03-Jul-20 21:11:26

I'm in Dublin and went to a local restaurant on Wednesday for dinner. It was wonderful, staff were really welcoming and obviously delighted to be back in business. Customers all in great form and there was a really lovely atmosphere. Actually felt a little emotional and really enjoyed our first night out since March!

AriettyHomily Fri 03-Jul-20 21:14:38

I'm in England, haven't booked yet only because I've got kids who are finding it a bit odd at the moment, if I could childcare I would. We're supporting local business with a lot of take away at the moment!

saraclara Fri 03-Jul-20 21:22:10

I've booked for the 9th. I'm aware that in the last few weeks I've been getting more anxious about being out around people. But when I've actually done it, it's been fine. I had to get a train the other day, which really unnerved me. But within minutes it was normal to be in one again.
So I think the sooner I start doing other normal things, the better.

I think it's probably wise advice for everyone. Our mental health has taken a battering, whether we realise it or not. I think we need to get out there (with the necessary precautions) and start training our minds to recognise that it's actually okay out there.

AuditAngel Fri 03-Jul-20 21:29:44

Please please please do support your favourite restaurants and bars. After being closed for more than 3 months my husband and his cousin are Reopening tomorrow. We don’t know if they can make enough to survive without their normal Sunday live music night, and with lower capacity.

If you want your favourites to survive, they need your support.

EveryDayIsADuvetDay Fri 03-Jul-20 21:43:25

I was genuinely surprised that all of the friends I frequently eat out with were all a bit 'meh' about restaurants opening.

I've booked for a late lunch tomorrow at a lovely local family run restaurant - not necessarily my favourite, but they always make you feel super welcome and I think its really important to show them support.
I deliberately chose the local-family run above a chain restaurant (although they;re probably all vulnerable at the moment).

I've also booked a couple of lunches out next week when I'm AWAY on holiday.

Guylan Fri 03-Jul-20 21:44:30

I think Scotland has a lot less cases than England per capita and it’s sensibly waiting another 12 days for cases to decrease even further. Personally I think Johnson’s govt should have waited until cases are lower and extended furlough in England for the hospitality sector. Economically risky if we get another spike and have to lock down again and public health wise dangerous too. I think though mine is a minority view.

PersonaNonGarter Fri 03-Jul-20 21:45:04

Please go (so I don’t have to).

I want to support businesses but I really, really wouldn’t enjoy being served food by people in masks. But I am hoping other people do go. Just not me.

peanutsandpinenuts Fri 03-Jul-20 21:47:14

I've booked restaurants and visits to pubs over the next few weeks. Can't wait and local businesses need our support or they won't be there soon. We need to get back out there, socially distance, and take precautions. Can't live our lives like hermits trapped in a cave.

pilates Fri 03-Jul-20 21:51:48

No not for me yet

NoMoreReluctantCustodians Fri 03-Jul-20 21:57:47

Booked for next weekend to my favourite independent restaurant. I've no idea if they're going to survive long term but I do hope so

SoulofanAggron Fri 03-Jul-20 22:12:14

YANBU. I think we've suffered enough.

FrugiFan Fri 03-Jul-20 22:13:36

Go for it. The restaurant owners and the economy will thank you. It probably wont be the same as normal but I'm sure you'll still have a great time smile

chubbyhotchoc Fri 03-Jul-20 22:36:57

We're eating out tomorrow and next Friday. Enjoy!

Abracadabra12345 Fri 03-Jul-20 22:45:29

ChasingRainbows19

We’ve a short U.K. trip booked in 3 weeks. We’ve done nothing since early March. Followed every rule and barely seen anyone up until a month ago. Even now only outside.
Food shopping, work, friend catch ups in gardens weather permitting and walks until then for us so we won’t be tracked and traced before our trip and we will hopefully be fairly safe in travelling.

August I’ll be booking local restaurants/pub for a meal or two. Won’t be going crazy though. We are usually quite active out and about living life as its just us two but I’m no rush to go right back... slowly and hopefully things will at least be ok in summer before winter hits....

I’m in exactly the same position as ChasingRainbows. If we didn’t have trips booked, I’d be happy to book a table at a restaurant but it would be just our luck to fall foul of the track and trace system and have to self isolate a day before we’re due to go.

However, you will be fine and really do need to help the restaurant owners and staff. It’s your civic duty!

Lifeisgenerallyfun Fri 03-Jul-20 22:45:47

We’re off to a hotel on Wednesday and booked to eat in a restaurant to see the in laws for first time since January - life has to get moving at some point

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in