Talk

Advanced search

Selfish bastards on Homes Under The Hammer

(534 Posts)
SquishyBones Thu 02-Jul-20 07:59:14

Watching this shit show as I was bored and a family bought a house. The woman then proudly explained that they already own 700(!!!) houses in the area already and are hoping to own 1000 by the end of the year. How the fuck is this even allowed?? AIBU to think selfish bastards like this should be stopped and there should be a cap on how many properties a person can own? Even 10 houses per person would be ridiculous but would stop the likes of these people

OP’s posts: |
Wellhowyoudoin Thu 02-Jul-20 08:00:27

Haven’t they sold them now?

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Thu 02-Jul-20 08:00:37

property developers, hate them

SquishyBones Thu 02-Jul-20 08:01:51

No not sold them, they “currently” own 700 properties ... renting them out.

OP’s posts: |
GertrudeCB Thu 02-Jul-20 08:01:56

It's a business, they're not hoarding properties to keep them empty.

Onepostonlyjustone Thu 02-Jul-20 08:02:04

It is pure greed. You just know they give as little back as possible because the whole attitude of it reeks of one upmanship and disregard for any concept of society. (I am by no means poor).

Alexandernevermind Thu 02-Jul-20 08:02:33

Didn't see that one, but would they be buying to rent? Not sure why that's immoral.

GertrudeCB Thu 02-Jul-20 08:03:53

How is being a landlord pure greed ? They are providing a service.

Fanthorpe Thu 02-Jul-20 08:05:47

surely they’re private landlords, rather than property developers?

Housing in the U.K. is in a horrible state, it’s driven by greed.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 02-Jul-20 08:05:52

I agree. I don’t even think people should be allowed to buy a second home. Would stop this crazy house price situation where only the rich can afford to buy and the rich/poor divide gets larger.

Finfintytint Thu 02-Jul-20 08:06:21

If it’s the Kent couple, they gave eviction notices to 200 tenants who were on benefits apparently as they were concerned about non payment of rent.

YouDirtyMare Thu 02-Jul-20 08:07:04

Wow, that's a lot. Was it in a student area? They will still have to pay for maintenance etc

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 02-Jul-20 08:07:21

I agree op - property should no longer be part of an investment portfolio.
However I think we should stop foreign investment before stopping U.K. citizens/ residents owning a second property!

Beautiful3 Thu 02-Jul-20 08:07:36

It shouldn't be allowed to own that many. Definitely should be a limit and heavily taxed after the first one.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 02-Jul-20 08:08:17

GertrudeCB

How is being a landlord pure greed ? They are providing a service.

gringrin
Providing a service!

That sounds like one of those ‘helpful’ people who bought up all the toilet roll and sold it back to others for £1 a roll. That sort of service you mean?

Thisisworsethananticpated Thu 02-Jul-20 08:08:20

Why is property any worse than another type of business OP ? We live in a capitalist world
Get over it

AWiseWomanOnceSaidFuckThisShit Thu 02-Jul-20 08:09:49

Agreed. Utter cuntery.

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Thu 02-Jul-20 08:10:22

oh was it a repeat,?
horrible couple.

hopefully they will get their comeuppance someway or another.

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Thu 02-Jul-20 08:10:46

they are playing monopoly

GertrudeCB Thu 02-Jul-20 08:11:05

Not everyone wants to own though - renting suits some people.
Mumsnet is strange about housing - the amount of posters that think landlords are evil and social housing is mind blowing hmm

LadioGaGa Thu 02-Jul-20 08:11:39

Thisisworsethananticpated

Why is property any worse than another type of business OP ? We live in a capitalist world
Get over it

The next few years are going to be a great time to expand the portfolio, for anyone buying up properties as investments.

okiedokieme Thu 02-Jul-20 08:11:42

We do need rental properties though, both short term and long term. We rented when our job relocated until we could sell our old house and buy a new one. Currently renting whilst house is sold (divorce). If properties are well maintained and rents fair I don't have an issue.

Hangingwithmygnomies Thu 02-Jul-20 08:13:09

Was it this couple @SquishyBones? If so, he is a thoroughly nasty man
www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/3/the-landlord-rules-not-the-tenant-fergus-wilson-tell-panorama

totalpeas22 Thu 02-Jul-20 08:13:44

It’s not illegal. However, I would doubt they had that many. Also if she got reported to the Revenue and Customs they might investigate. The people with, I think, 1,000 properties were the Wilsons in Ashford. They were very unpopular but I think they sold a lot of them

Large investment companies own lots of residential properties. They provide housing for people who cannot afford to buy. I doubt councils will be in a position to build social housing anytime soon, many have borrowed to by shopping centres and office blocks that have dropped in value

The now unwanted properties could be developed into housing to save concreting over more of our countryside

Bluntness100 Thu 02-Jul-20 08:14:40

So if people weren’t allowed to buy to let, are folks assuming the government will step in, buy all the properties and rent them out?

Does it really matter if it’s seventy landlords for seven hundred properties or one?

Personally I prefer a landlord with many properties because most of them have it sorted and treat it like a business. They have maintenance guys, know when to redecorate or refurb etc and don’t fuck about when your washing machine plays dead.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in