Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to remove the smell of wee from bathroom flooring.

(99 Posts)
WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:12:10

Replacing the flooring is not an option or I would 100% do it, I have even offered to pay for the replacement. HA house, downstairs loo is a wet room but not in use or ever been in use as a wet room as far as I know. No shower fitted just a plate where one can be attacked if ever needed all plumbing and electrics are present in the wall. House is 3 years old I've lived here nearly 18 months and inherented the wee smell from the last tenant. It smells like the men's toilet at the pub and is absolutely vile. As soon as the door is open the smell hits you in the face it's so strong you can smell it in the whole downstairs when the door is opened. The window has been removed and that wall tiled over so no fresh air, I run the extractor fan 24/7 which does help slightly but I want/need to remove the smell, so plesse hit me with your best suggestions I will try anything at this point.

OP’s posts: |
LibrariesGiveUsPower Wed 01-Jul-20 10:15:17

Liberal scattering of bicarbonate?

One of those odor bomb Things?

Finfintytint Wed 01-Jul-20 10:16:18

What is the floor covering? Do you know what’s underneath the covering?

Flyingagainstreason Wed 01-Jul-20 10:16:28

What type of flooring is it

MoominKitty Wed 01-Jul-20 10:16:44

Would the enzyme pet spray work? If it can get rid of tom cat pee I'm sure it would work on human.

Or lots and lots of bio washing powder?

Finfintytint Wed 01-Jul-20 10:17:26

Also, it it the HA saying you can’t replace it?

CluelessBaker Wed 01-Jul-20 10:17:39

What is the floor made of? If it’s something like tile it shouldn’t still smell after thorough cleaning and may indicate a plumbing issue. If it’s wood or carpet then the smell will have truly sunk in. You can try an enzyme based cleaner but imo once the smell of urine is soaked in its virtually impossible to get out.

WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:22:20

The flooring is vinyl sheet with a rough grainy texture a little bit like hospital bathroom flooring that goes up the wall a few inches and meets the wall tiles, we have no skirting boards. I probably should have listed the things I have tried,
1. Bicarbonate of soda several times left from a ranging amount of time max was 2 weeks why on holiday last summer.
2. Bleach
3. Disinfectant
4. Bathroom cleaner
5. Shaving foam
6. White vinegar
7. Washing up liquid
8. Biological washing powder in hot water
All scrubbed into the floor with a scrubbing brush, rinsed and dried with kitchen roll. They all seemed to help for a period of 24 hours then the smell is back again like before.

teenmumandsowhat Wed 01-Jul-20 10:23:09

Would love to know how, we currently have a small windowless bathroom with a wet room floor and an actual wet room shower and it constantly stinks off wee.
Partly from previous tenant and partly because small boys (ie my ds) don’t have good aim and apparently a plug hole on the bathroom floor is much more exciting than using the actual toilet! hmm angry

BankofNook Wed 01-Jul-20 10:24:06

Use a mould and mildew spray and spray into all the cracks and joins - around the base of the toilet, where the floor meets the wall, around the edges of any pipes or drains, etc. Then using an old toothbrush scrub it into the joints. Wrap a thin cloth around a pallet knife and push it into the joins/edges to wipe around them, push it under the base of the toilet pedestal and sink pedestal to wipe there too.

Spray the walls and wipe. Ditto skirting boards, behind/under any fittings, and the door.

Take the cover off the extractor and give that a clean.

If you can afford to and your HA allows decorating then I would put a layer of sealant around the base of the toilet and sink and repaint the walls too.

WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:25:07

The floor is concrete underneath and it is cemented down to the floor and goes up behind the wall tiles. The floor drain is properly sealed I have had that checked by a plumber. And yes HA have said I can not change the flooring and they won't replaced for another 27 years!

BankofNook Wed 01-Jul-20 10:25:44

I've suggested mould and mildew spray as sometimes mould/mildew can smell a bit pissy so it may be a problem with those rather than old pee, especially in a windowless wet room.

BillywigSting Wed 01-Jul-20 10:25:51

Strong solution of soda might work?

Strong bleach solution left on overnight every night for a week or so?

WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:28:21

Everything is properly sealed and the whole room apart from the floor and celling is tiled in big wall tiles. We have no skirting boards the flooring goes up the wall where skirting board should be and behind the first row of wall tiles.

MsPickle Wed 01-Jul-20 10:28:37

Try something like this? 4.3 out of 5 stars

Mad Lemon Pet Odor Eliminator and Neutralizer - Industrial Strength 8oz Concentrate

That and one that's currently out of stock Pro-Kleen Odour Attack! Carpet Solution Cleaner Enzyme Shampoo 1L (Ocean Fresh) - Extreme Urine Cleaner for Dogs / Cats / Humans - Eliminates Urine, Faeces & Vomit Stains - Neutralises, Deodorises & Deeply Cleans All Carpet Types - Advanced Odour Control Chemistry & Active Enzymes

Helped deal with fox urine envy which was making one of my cats spray envyenvy. The cat still occasionally sprays (always in the same place and because he's a fucker) and it helps!

TheBluePineapple Wed 01-Jul-20 10:29:01

Is the toilet leaking? I only ask because we had a similar problem with smell. It went on for years with me scrubbing the ( similar awful ) vinyl floor. Turns out that there was a small leak where the pipes at the back meet.

Glitterb Wed 01-Jul-20 10:29:50

We have unfortunately had to take over cleaning duties at work due to Corona and the mens toilets absolutely stank of wee (wee soaked into the floor) we have been moping using floor detergent and a good splash of zoflora, it has improved massively!

WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:30:30

I have Dettol mould and mildew will go try that suggestion now although I can't see it being a mould issue as there has never been a shower fitted in there.

EmperorCovidula Wed 01-Jul-20 10:31:12

Are you sure it’s the floor and not the toilet/walls?

WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:34:13

No no leaks, everything is bone dry. The type of flooring isn't the problem as we have the same in the bathroom upstairs and it doesn't smell. I will order a pet wee odour remover from Amazon now as I wonder if a cat lived here before and the litter box was kept in there.

WhatsWhat456 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:36:20

I'm not sure if it's the floor, walls or toilet to be honest but I clean it floor to celling twice a day which takes nearly an hour a time. It certainly isn't the floor drain that has a drain cover and is properly sealed.

nevernotstruggling Wed 01-Jul-20 10:39:43

I think I'd be tempted to find out the consequences of replacing the floor. What's the worst that can happen?

Delatron Wed 01-Jul-20 10:44:52

I’d probably ‘accidentally’ damage the floor somehow? RIP the vinyl? Then offer to pay to replace. I know you said that’s not an option but surely if you offer to pay?

I had the same issue and replacing the vinyl with tiles was the only thing that worked. Sorry.

Or what is the worst that could happen if you ripped it up? Would you get evicted?

Thinkle Wed 01-Jul-20 10:46:02

A bit left field but could it be your painted ceiling that is the problem? we painted a bedroom in Valspa paint (B&Q) and it had the same nasty smell but it wasn’t wee it was the paint. We sealed it was a shellac primer and painted over with non Valspa paint and now the smell has gone

Redcrayons Wed 01-Jul-20 10:50:39

I was going to suggest white vinegar and bicarbonate. I do it weekly (boys!) and it definitely works for me. Mines all tiles though.
Can you just replace the vinyl yourself?
Although I don’t know much or anything about HA properties, so I don’t know what the consequences would be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »