Advanced search

To think the school could be more accommodating.

(51 Posts)
Anney28 Wed 01-Jul-20 07:24:36

I have two children with additional needs who went back to school this week.

Staggered drop of time’s means one goes in at 8.30 and the other 9am. I know there is a reason for this of course but the letter with dates on and a senco informed me that if you had two at different times you can send them both in at the earliest time (so 8.30am) to make life easier and that you don’t have to hang around.

But the teacher has said no I have to wait half an hour. Doesn’t seem too much of a problem but.. We live a few minute walk away from the school but Dd has a mild physical disability and walking home would be a faff. Also there’s only 2 main routes from the school which are narrow pathways and we would be passing other children walking to school which goes against social distancing rules. So we could hang around outside the school but again that goes against social distancing too. Not comfortable with standing near the road. You’ll have people going to the local nursery in the area and children and their allocated slots.

It would be so much easier if Dd went in at 8.30 when ks2 go in. She wouldn’t mind going in early. She has 1-1 anyway and the letter sent home did state she could but now she can’t.

Parents are discouraged from driving to school as they have a very small car park and spaces are reserved for teachers and those who don’t live in the village and drive to school but aibu to think bugger it. I’ll drive and sit in the car with her iPad for half an hour!!

Don’t want to be hanging around outside with loads of people around!

OP’s posts: |
Tyranttoddler Wed 01-Jul-20 07:26:47

Does your daughter's physical disability mean she would struggle to stand /wait for half an hour outside school? If so, I can't believe they're asking you to wait.

Tyranttoddler Wed 01-Jul-20 07:27:21

They should stick to their letter... Or I would drive too in your position.

Furiousfive Wed 01-Jul-20 07:28:36

Can you not send them both in at the later time? That's what our school does

Russell19 Wed 01-Jul-20 07:28:49

There must be other people in this situation too, what are they doing?

Jengnr Wed 01-Jul-20 07:29:07

Just give the teacher the letter. And if they still refuse ring the head. Sounds like the teacher isn’t aware that’s the info you’ve been given.

I had a similar issue re access points for my two, the teacher wasn’t sure what the rules were and, understandably, didn’t want to break them but a couple of calls sorted it out.

Finfintytint Wed 01-Jul-20 07:29:14

I’d take them both in for 9am.

Burplecutter Wed 01-Jul-20 07:29:30

I would contact the head first and letting them know about the contradictory advice given. The head might say to bring dc in. I would offer to bring them both in at the later time to show willing if that worked better for the school. Then failing those options I would wait in the car.

OfTheNight Wed 01-Jul-20 07:30:01

There could be a miscommunication between the SENCO and the teacher, there’s lots of different guidance and expectations so the teacher could be mistaken. Have you spoken to the SENCO about this? Hopefully the SENCO can relay the proper arrangement to to teacher in question.

Erictheavocado Wed 01-Jul-20 07:38:10

I can see both sides. Our Academy trust is very strict about making sure bubbles are secure. This means that anyone who has 1:1 can only come into school when their LSA is there for them. This protects the integrity of the bubbles and ensures that when the teacher is greeting children at the door (we have a list of questions that every child has to answer before they can enter the building), there is an adult present for the child in the classroom. You mention that your DC is happy to come to school early when the KS2 children do - I infer from this that DC may be KS1? Maybe the KS1 staff are not available early? At our school, we are advised to stagger our own arrival at work so that people can sd.
I can see, though, that you have a genuine difficulty here and I know that we would do whatever can to accommodate you. Of course, that would only be possible if you are the only parent in this situation - if there are others it will be a logistical nightmare for the school and I can understand why they may take a one size fits all approach.

Realityofsen Wed 01-Jul-20 07:43:02

Take them both for 9

GizzaNuther Wed 01-Jul-20 07:50:16

The problem with DD going in at 8.30 is that there might not be anywhere suitable for her to wait that doesn't bring her into contact with children from other bubbles.

In my school even the staff have strict instructions about which rooms and routes they're allowed to use, and what time they're allowed in or out.

I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to wait in the car with her though. I think it would be unreasonable of them to say no to that.

Brefugee Wed 01-Jul-20 08:04:25

Pick a time and drop both off. Inform the head that's what you're doing. We totally have to support schools but they, in turn, have to support parents.

Sirzy Wed 01-Jul-20 08:09:00

Don’t forget this is all new and a learning curve for the school too.

I would go for the sit in the car for half an hour option, let them get each bubble in safely

Italiandreams Wed 01-Jul-20 08:09:31

Is it because the teacher has her own child to drop off so is not in school at the earlier time. We had to take school staffs childcare needs into account too when sorting bubble times, lack of wrap around care has a massive knock on effect for everyone. Lack of ability to cross bubbles adds to the logistical nightmare for staff and parents

reefedsail Wed 01-Jul-20 08:11:13

I agree with PP, drop them both in at 9am. If they don't like that, they can take them both at 8.30am.

You (anyone) hanging around onsite is exactly what the staggered drop-offs are supposed to avoid!!

SparkyBlue Wed 01-Jul-20 08:13:45

I'd drop them both in at 9. I'm dreading something like this happening here when school starts back in September. My youngest would be a nightmare to get back down to school if I had to drop his sister at school then take him home and then bring him back. This sort of thing is going to cause so much stress and drama

GinDrinker00 Wed 01-Jul-20 08:14:28

Drop them both at 9am.
The bubble thing doesn’t make sense as surely one is mixing with one bubble and the other is mixing with another bubble therefore creating a bigger bubble? Not to mention other kids in their bubbles who also have silblings in a different bubble. Might as well just mix them all together at that point.

Italiandreams Wed 01-Jul-20 08:14:47

Communication should have been better whatever the reason though and yes, I would suggest dropping them both at later time.

Alexandernevermind Wed 01-Jul-20 08:18:15

Agree with everyone else, drop them both in at 9 but make sure you tell them in writing that you will be doing this, explaining why and enclosing a copy of the original letter.

Whoopsies Wed 01-Jul-20 08:19:06

Same thing at our school, half an hour between drop offs3and not allowed to stay on site. Also, you can't drop off both at the later time, if you're late for your slot you're not allowed in. Most parents are taking the car if they can and waiting in there.

Runbitchrun Wed 01-Jul-20 08:20:59

I’m sure if you contact the Head it will be resolved really easily and they will both be able to go in at the same time, as stated in the original letter. It will just be a miscommunication.

Anney28 Wed 01-Jul-20 08:27:24

The letter stated that children could go in early if you have two drops offs but I don’t think any of the children in Dd’a bubble have older siblings or if they do they are still off!

Only two bubbles enter and exit from where I take my daughter the first being at 8.45 then 9 so it was to drop her off at 8.30 we’d avoid everyone which sounds better than hanging around the school.

But I’ll take the car. I don’t mind waiting at all. It’s just the misinformation from the school. Me expecting to be able to take her in at 8.30. Her teacher is there from that point also her ta. I see them driving in when I take DS.

I could take my son in at 9 but I’m not sure how he would react being technically ‘late’ if the rest of his bubble were there plus the lock the gate to that side shortly afterwards! There’s different access points at the school!

We will take the car. Being there early should mean we get a space 🙂

OP’s posts: |
NailsNeedDoing Wed 01-Jul-20 08:28:18

It’s easier for you, but it’s clearly not easier for them. You are only thinking if your own POV. They will have said this for a reason, maybe the 1-1 and staff in the school are still getting ready at 8.30 because they have been led to expect a 9.00 start time, none of the support staff at my school start until 9.00.

Drive and sit in the car or do whatever works for you, but don’t expect the school to take on the inconvenience for you.

crazychemist Wed 01-Jul-20 08:33:17

Show the teacher the letter and ask for her advice? (Not in an aggressive “what do YOU think I should do” kind of way, just genuinely ask). See what she says. If there is no solution from the school, 9am drop off for both of them is probably reasonable - bear in mind they don’t HAVE to be in school at the moment I can’t imagine there are sanctions for lateness. Bear in mind that some people have children at different schools (let’s say a Y6 and a Y10) and because of specific drop-off times and lack of wraparound, they CANOT drop both kids off on time. Schools can work round these things in the short term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »