Talk

Advanced search

Do birds wee? ( sort of light hearted - so I don't seem really dim)

(80 Posts)
Sibsmum Mon 29-Jun-20 20:27:06

I have been wondering. I mean we occasionally get bird poo on the car or on the Windows ( usually straight after they have been cleaned) but do they wee?
Have I been walking around for years and just been incredibly lucky to have escaped avian urine!?
Maybe they only see when it rains and then we might never realise....

OP’s posts: |
ForTheLoveOfCatFood Mon 29-Jun-20 20:28:07

I need to know the answer to this - I had never considered this before!

Gulabjamoon Mon 29-Jun-20 20:28:55

Maybe their poo combines wee? Is their poo called guano ? <not a clue> YANBU so you don’t feel dim.

letmethinkaboutitfornow Mon 29-Jun-20 20:29:09

I am joining the club! Never thought of it before! 😂😂😂

(Shamelessly off to google it!)

Originalyellowbelly Mon 29-Jun-20 20:30:04

Not as such, their wee is mixed in with their poo, so you get two for the price of one.

otterbaby Mon 29-Jun-20 20:30:03

I'm pretty sure the wee and poo are mixed together! Comes out of the cloaca. Don't ask me why I know that...

crispysausagerolls Mon 29-Jun-20 20:31:12

My favourite thread on MN of all time

chockaholic72 Mon 29-Jun-20 20:31:13

I used to have two pet cockatiels and I don't think they do - I think it all comes out in one runny mix of wee and bird poo. Fact - cockatiels poo roughly once every 15 mins...

letmethinkaboutitfornow Mon 29-Jun-20 20:31:21

Have no clue why this has come up for you OP, but definitely curious!!!

Mammals remove excess nitrogen from their bodies by converting it to a dilute solution of urea, stored in the bladder. Birds convert nitrogen to uric acid instead: this is metabolically more costly but saves water and weight, as it is less toxic and doesn’t need to be diluted so much.

Ref: www.sciencefocus.com/nature/do-birds-urinate/

TheNinjaWife Mon 29-Jun-20 20:31:58

Bird pee and poop comes from one exit hole at the same time.

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Mon 29-Jun-20 20:32:52

No they don't wee. All their waste is combined and passes through their anus.

Google is your friend. wink

yetanothernamechange22 Mon 29-Jun-20 20:33:29

Their droppings consist of three parts, the faeces which are a greenish brown paste, the urates (solidified urine) which are a white paste and sometimes liquid urine. Liquid urine isn't always present. It's more likely to be present if the bird has eaten fresh food or had a bath. Birds have a cloaca so everything comes of the same hole at the same time.

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 29-Jun-20 20:38:20

Baby birds produce their waste all wrapped up in a little package, nice and tidy. The parents pick it up and fly off to dispose of it.

crispysausagerolls Mon 29-Jun-20 20:49:31

Google is your friend

Spoil sport!

GreyGardens88 Mon 29-Jun-20 20:52:06

They also mate via the cloaca. Efficient system.

Sibsmum Mon 29-Jun-20 20:57:26

So they do both through the same , thingy, at the same time?
So they do wee, but it gets mixed up with poo?
I am still 😕

Dogsanddrums Mon 29-Jun-20 21:03:27

The urine combines with the faeces and comes out as a runny poo from the cloaca. The white ‘topping’ on bird poo (sorry) is the urine. The cloaca is also where eggs come from

honeylulu Mon 29-Jun-20 21:06:07

Poo and wee mixed (guano). Comes out of the cloaca (also used for reproduction).

MrsEricBana Mon 29-Jun-20 21:10:44

Coo (boom boom) that is so interesting and not something I had much considered but I will look at bird poo in a new light.
So, in Kronk's New Groove, WHY is the lady called Miss Birdy-Poo?

Nottherealslimshady Mon 29-Jun-20 21:12:10

They have one hole that all waste exits at the same time, they also mate and lay eggs through the same hole.

AreYouLocal2 Mon 29-Jun-20 21:22:41

Just like lizards. Pooh is black the white bits are uric acid (pee).

WowOoo Mon 29-Jun-20 21:32:28

Yes, they tell you to wash bird mess off because the acid can corrode paintwork.

They seem to have one hole down there that does the lot! I’m glad I don’t have a cloaca.

LakieLady Mon 29-Jun-20 21:34:22

Wow, every day's a school day on here!

Sibsmum Mon 29-Jun-20 21:35:25

Ohhhhhh. I wonder why we always call it bird poo then? It seems weird that we do.
Maybe we should be calling it poowee? ( I think guano sounds like they pop lizards)
confused

0Muggle0 Mon 29-Jun-20 21:40:12

The white part of the poo is the wee! The black is the poo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »