Talk

Advanced search

To think I could have food poisoning from 3 days ago?

(15 Posts)
SquishyBones Mon 29-Jun-20 14:09:42

Got an Indian takeaway on Friday night. Felt sick immediately after eating the curry. Thought I’d just eaten too much.

Saturday I warmed the rest up and felt sick immediately afterwards again.

Sunday felt fine all day but then felt very, very sick last night. Couldn’t eat my dinner.

This morning had to call in sick. So nauseous, banging stabbing headache, hot and sticky, belly making constant noises, no energy ... tried to eat some lunch and couldn’t. I’ve not eaten since yesterday lunch time.

Work want to know if I’m going back tomorrow so they can sort cover out ... I don’t know what to tell them! I just feel so bloody sick (and now I have stabbing pains in my ears). Everytime I move I want to throw up.

AIBU to think I could have food poisoning from Friday? I’m not normally a sick note

OP’s posts: |
OoohTheStatsDontLie Mon 29-Jun-20 14:12:05

Yes you could. Its more likely you got it from re heating it on saturday though. When I've had food poisoning before it's been up to 2 days after I've eaten it

vodkaredbullgirl Mon 29-Jun-20 14:13:52

Probably after re heating it the next night.

SquishyBones Mon 29-Jun-20 14:16:35

I always reheat takeaways, have done for years ...

zingally Mon 29-Jun-20 14:17:46

The one and only time I know for sure that I had food poisoning, the symptoms hit within half an hour of eating the item. I was pretty much okay again within 36 hours, but it took a few days to get my appetite back.

The fact that you felt fine all day Sunday makes me wonder if you've just got a tummy bug. But perhaps there was an ingredient in the curry that didn't agree with you? Was it from somewhere new, or a new item you hadn't tried before? If the rest of the family ate it, and are fine, it's unlikely to be food poisoning.

If you're still feeling grim, tell them you'll be off another day. It's no big deal. If you're sick, you're sick. You didn't do it on purpose!

gotothecooler Mon 29-Jun-20 14:18:42

Much more likely to be the reheating of it then the initial rating. Did you refrigerate it overnight?

gotothecooler Mon 29-Jun-20 14:18:57

Initial eating

Euclid Mon 29-Jun-20 14:19:26

It is very dangerous to re-heat food like that, that has probably been re-heated already.
Why did you want to eat it on Saturday if you had felt sick after eating it on Friday?

gotothecooler Mon 29-Jun-20 14:20:19

The fact that you felt fine all day Sunday makes me wonder if you've just got a tummy bug.

You know a tummy bug can be due to eating bad food? They are not different things!

Food poisoning can take days to manifest.

SquishyBones Mon 29-Jun-20 14:21:00

It’s what I always get from the same place ... lamb korma! I can never eat a full one so always have half the next day. It’s never been an issue before.

SquishyBones Mon 29-Jun-20 14:22:05

But then would food poising cause a splitting headache? DH woke up with a splitting headache this morning too but he’s ok now

gotothecooler Mon 29-Jun-20 14:22:53

I would imagine he just had a sore head and it's unconnected to your sickness.

ItsLeviooosar Mon 29-Jun-20 14:24:07

Have you got a carbon monoxide alarm?

ItsLeviooosar Mon 29-Jun-20 14:24:51

Posted too soon, co poisoning can cause headache and sickness

OoohTheStatsDontLie Mon 29-Jun-20 14:26:01

Foods that's been cooked and cooled grows bugs as it cools, as bugs like it warm. Cooking again doesn't kill all the bugs and the ones left multiply when its cooling again. Lots of restaurants reheat food as otherwise they would have to cook absolutely every element of the dish from scratch. So you could have eaten food reheated twice which is a definite no. It sounds like it was a bit dodgy the first time to make you feel sick and there was more bacteria on it the second time. Different bacteria cause different types of food poisoning and different people react differently to it. A quick google search will tell you to be very careful reheating food and also that you cant assume it was the last thing you've eaten- just like other illnesses, infections have different incubation periods before they make you feel ill, and they can affect different people differently. But it is definitely entirely possible (I'd say probable) that something you are on Friday or Saturday night could make you ill now.
Most bugs are mild and will last 24 hours so you might be ok to work from home tomorrow if a little washed out but you should avoid contact with other people for a couple of days

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »