Talk

Advanced search

Holiday dilemma

(24 Posts)
Mawbags Sun 28-Jun-20 12:21:26

I really need to sensible MN advice about my holiday!

Briefly, we have a holiday booked to Spain in October to stay in an Airbnb

We are not sure whether to proceed or try and transfer the dates to February half term

Although we are normally v sensible and willing to be gloved and masked up to the hilt, we’re quite worried and unsure as to which time would be more sensible to go?

Just concerned about the second wave discussions, flu season chat and we know that Spanish authorities will swing into action to quickly if they experience and uptick.

Also we have done everything TO THE BOOK so far and don’t want to screw up by being selfish. No sniff of a beach pub park or play date yet and we are feeling jaded as hell.

(At this point cancelling not an option)

YABU - just go, planes will be emptier and cleaner than ever
YANBU - delay, things will definitely be better in the spring!!

OP’s posts: |
AnneLovesGilbert Sun 28-Jun-20 12:23:47

I’d wait till February.

Racoonworld Sun 28-Jun-20 12:24:55

Is there an option to wait and see? With holidays starting in July there will likely be a clearer picture by late August so may be easier to make a decision then.

DivisionBelles Sun 28-Jun-20 12:27:57

I've moved our October holiday to Portugal to May next year. I was worrying too much about the flight, a possible second wave, quarantine and just wasn't really feeling it for this year. I may yet move it again in a couple of months depending on how things pan out in the interim.

Mawbags Sun 28-Jun-20 12:45:51

I have to say I’m in agreement.., I’m the one who wants to delay... my husband thinks that nothing will have changed substantially by feb

OP’s posts: |
maddiemookins16mum Sun 28-Jun-20 12:53:15

Cancel, get whatever back that you can. Rethink plans in the Spring. It will stop the future worries hanging over you.

Stannisbaratheonsboxofmatches Sun 28-Jun-20 12:56:41

I’m not planning to go abroad this year. I just think if you did get ill while there it would be an awful experience all round.

Ponoka7 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:58:11

Unless we get a vaccine, or we do become immune, things won't be any better in February.

I don't think places are going to be as quiet as usual in February, because so many people are desperate for a holiday.

Apple1029 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:00:16

I would wait till feb or actually even longer. Imagine getting sick abroad?

Mawbags Sun 28-Jun-20 13:26:41

I feel as though if there was going to be a spike, it would be evident already!! But also I’m so worried about the outdated opening, this summer will be carnage

OP’s posts: |
Mawbags Sun 28-Jun-20 13:27:04

Pubs opening I mean

OP’s posts: |
Whenwillthisbeover Sun 28-Jun-20 13:27:21

Can you cancel? I had a very stressful couple of
Months where I could cancel the Airbnb but not the flights and didn’t know in March what would be happening in July. In the end I cancelled and got a full refund from Airbnb then jet2 cancelled our flights three weeks go and refunded us within the 14 days. Everyone played fair. We are off to the Lakes instead.

Mawbags Sun 28-Jun-20 13:29:58

I have until 7pm tonight I think

OP’s posts: |
bluebellation Sun 28-Jun-20 13:30:18

You also need to consider what would happen if there was an outbreak where you were staying and Spain locked down again. Would you be able to get home? Obviously an Airbnb is better than a hotel but I'd be concerned about getting stranded abroad.

Lyricallie Sun 28-Jun-20 13:36:02

We have a trip to Asia rescheduled from May to November. We've decided to wait and see. We managed to get vouchers for our flights and our hotels are with booking.com so we should be ok to cancel.

Can you just wait and see? How late can you cancel?

SebandAlice Sun 28-Jun-20 13:38:09

I would go unless you are in one of the risk groups.

Itwasnoaccident9786756453 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:40:43

I wouldn't go unless you're happy to be locked down there.

Branleuse Sun 28-Jun-20 13:41:24

we are going to spain in october hopefully. It was originally booked for april but postponed till oct. Ill be annoyed if we need to cancel again, but I am a little concerned for the flight, but in own accomodation once there

midnightstar66 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:41:42

I'd not rebook for February as it's well in to the winter flu season and may see a recurrence. Also weather in February in Spain is unlikely to be anywhere as nice as in October. I'd either continue with October or rebook for May or something

GlassHouseYouGlassHouse Sun 28-Jun-20 13:43:52

For our May holiday to Spain this year, we cancelled the Airbnb (free cancellation up to a point) and kept the flights. If the flights went ahead, we decided, we'd book a last minute accommodation. As it was, the flights were cancelled so we got the £ back from EasyJet. Depending on how you booked, you could do similar? Cancel what you can and keep the rest, then decide nearer the time?

GlassHouseYouGlassHouse Sun 28-Jun-20 13:45:02

Also, Easyjet kept asking us to move the date of the flights but I didn't want to do that as no idea when will be ok to travel in the future. From now on I think we will book last minute for everything!

VenusTiger Sun 28-Jun-20 13:48:31

Depends if you're bothered about the weather - Feb is Spain is cold but October can still be fairly hot - it was when we went in Oct many yrs ago. Decide what you want out of the holiday, if you're after some sunshine and some sea whilst socially distancing then I'd just go in Oct, I wouldn't postpone to Feb though - Easter would be better imo.

VenusTiger Sun 28-Jun-20 13:48:49

*in Spain not is

Mawbags Sun 28-Jun-20 15:56:00

Urgh.

I have no idea what to do

We lived in Spain for a decade, we are totally at home there and don’t need great weather to enjoy it

But I feel too guilty

And these air bridges..... apparently still a myth?!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »