Talk

Advanced search

To think birthday cakes dont need jam

(77 Posts)
Redcrow Sun 28-Jun-20 07:05:32

Quick fire question

I'm making a birthday cake today, vanilla sponge and buttercream, I wouldnt add jam but I'm not wondering if the other guests would prefer some jam in there? And is iabu and there should be jam does the jam go on top of a layer of buttercream?

OP’s posts: |
AlwaysColdHands Sun 28-Jun-20 07:06:40

Jam AND buttercream in the middle.
I feel strongly about that! smile

EmperorCovidula Sun 28-Jun-20 07:07:06

Jam in cash is just horrid.

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Sun 28-Jun-20 07:07:21

I always put jam in

EmperorCovidula Sun 28-Jun-20 07:08:10

Cake. But also cash and anywhere that isn’t a scone with cream.

Dk20 Sun 28-Jun-20 07:08:39

We dont use jam, just have the buttercream. It never seems to be missed.

bluemolly Sun 28-Jun-20 07:09:21

Whose cake is it?

Because what matters most is if that person wants jam!

PlumpkinPete Sun 28-Jun-20 07:10:51

My view is that if other guests like jam in their cake, they can make their own cake and put as much jam as they like in it! You're the chef, make the thing you want to eat grin

(If the birthday-person asked for jam if probably do it)

Redcrow Sun 28-Jun-20 07:13:11

It's for a 1yo so and he wont have a huge opinion haha

Angelonia Sun 28-Jun-20 07:13:30

There's no right answer here - it's just an individual preference.

GlamGiraffe Sun 28-Jun-20 07:13:33

I put a really thin layer of soft set (like bonne mamman) strawberry jam spread onto the bottom sponge, just enough to coat it, not enough to be an actual layer, it isnt then jammy per se, it keeps the cake "jucier". Then lashings of vanilla buttercream. I made a 14 inch cake last week. Many people ate lots so it must have been ok! (I speak as one who doesnt actually like jam).
If its gor today, how about a bit of jam, fresh whipped double cream sweetened with icing sugar and sliced fresh strawberries?

letmethinkaboutitfornow Sun 28-Jun-20 07:14:44

1. Are you in the U.K?
2. Which part? (Scots, Irish might have their different things)

England (SE at least) - YES! You need a good amount of juicy jam! That gives the moisture ( first cream then jam where we are) - but google and Insta is your best friend.

If you are unsure, then make a chocolate cake! 😂 unless it’s for old people - they like this sponge thing 😂

letmethinkaboutitfornow Sun 28-Jun-20 07:16:52

Redcrow

It's for a 1yo so and he wont have a huge opinion haha

Oh! What’s the plan? Are you planning to eat it or getting it over their face?
(If latter, then chocolate is still the winner - plus the laundry, but looks good on baby pics) 😂😂😂

Redcrow Sun 28-Jun-20 07:18:23

Haha thank you everyone, vanilla sponges are cooling now so no chance of changing to chocolate. I'll add some jam!

BoudicasBoudoir Sun 28-Jun-20 07:29:24

I put jam and buttercream in my two-year-old’s birthday cake last month because she really loves jam.

That was the first time in my life, though. Normally I just put buttercream. I’ve made a lot of cakes and no-one has ever complained.

treenu Sun 28-Jun-20 07:38:47

Definitely needs jam, I think the fruit cuts through the sickliness of the cake and buttercream.

letmethinkaboutitfornow Sun 28-Jun-20 07:40:53

Redcrow

Haha thank you everyone, vanilla sponges are cooling now so no chance of changing to chocolate. I'll add some jam!

Maybe a picture once it’s done? ☺️☺️☺️👍👍👍
Happy birthday to the little one! 🎂🎂🎂

GinWithRosie Sun 28-Jun-20 07:46:27

If it's a traditional vanilla sponge cake type thing, in England, jam is definitely something I'd 'expect' to see...but it's your cake, so you do you OP 🤷‍♀️ I'd still eat it without complaint...a cake's a cake at the end of the day in my world 👍😂

Sosososotired Sun 28-Jun-20 07:51:55

I personally would miss the jam but it’s not essential. My kids don’t like jam so I make chocolate buttercream to go in their cakes.

whoknowswhichwayisup Sun 28-Jun-20 08:10:40

What is wrong with some people?! The jam is the best bit.

Pileon Sun 28-Jun-20 08:13:50

I hate butter cream-it’s so sickly. I usually do just jam and don’t get any complaints.
I do like whipped cream and fresh strawberries though.
Or lemon curd?

picklemewalnuts Sun 28-Jun-20 08:16:56

For future reference, chocolate cake must have black currant jam in the middle. If you haven't tried it, do. You'll thank me!

Just saying.

nugget18 Sun 28-Jun-20 08:17:27

No jam. Lots of kids don't like it. I used to hate finding jam in the middle of a good cake, though I'm fine with it now. My daughter really dislikes it too.

NataliaOsipova Sun 28-Jun-20 08:17:39

What is wrong with some people?! The jam is the best bit.

Absolutely agree!

PurpleDaisies Sun 28-Jun-20 08:18:55

Jam no buttercream here!
Glad you’re adding some.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »