Talk

Advanced search

To think pebbledash actually looks really nice?

(78 Posts)
riotlady Sat 27-Jun-20 16:07:01

It’s one of those things people on property shows always react to as if it’s hideous but I really like it! Although I think white pebbledash looks better than brown. Reminds me of my Grandma’s house by the sea.

OP’s posts: |
bluefoxmug Sat 27-Jun-20 16:09:42

it's hideous

reminds me of eastern european mass prefab.

Kaheki Sat 27-Jun-20 16:10:26

I have it on my house. It’s hideous.

Mrhodgeymaheg Sat 27-Jun-20 16:11:43

We, in my household pebble dash is an effect that can only be seen in a toilet as in "you dirty bastard, pebble dashing the toilet and leaving it for me to clean it up!".

I'm sure that's not what you mean though.

Pipandmum Sat 27-Jun-20 16:12:43

No, yuck.

EmeraldShamrock Sat 27-Jun-20 16:12:50

I like it when it is done plentiful with a mix of coloured stones.

AnnaBanana333 Sat 27-Jun-20 16:15:42

I don't mind it when it isn't brown.

MbwaKali Sat 27-Jun-20 16:18:11

It’s hideous. A lot of houses where we lived in Scotland are caked in the stuff. Grey weather and grey pebbledash - ugh!!

NotNowPlzz Sat 27-Jun-20 16:19:25

I like it in white as well.

Redridinghoood Sat 27-Jun-20 16:20:12

Pebbledash is great. It protects the house, and you don't have to have it painted.

Soddingsoda Sat 27-Jun-20 16:20:32

Does anyone know the history of pebble dashing? We moved to an area with every other house being pebbledashed.

Was it fashion or some form of practicalities.

As for hating it it depends on how I’m feeling that day.

Goyle Sat 27-Jun-20 16:20:48

A lot of houses near where I grew up had it. It's grim.

GreyishDays Sat 27-Jun-20 16:21:04

I like it too. Reminds me of visiting my grandma by the seaside too.

draughtycatflap Sat 27-Jun-20 16:21:09

Poo troll? 💩

letmethinkaboutitfornow Sat 27-Jun-20 16:23:15

bluefoxmug

it's hideous

reminds me of eastern european mass prefab.

Agree with the hideous.
Eastern Europe is not prefab, I think you meant Scandinavian?

(Sometimes I wish we had the quality of some of those Eastern European houses I saw, they were built with proper brick and concrete - just the furniture choice was...’interesting’ )

It still looks awful!

Alsohuman Sat 27-Jun-20 16:24:18

It’s bloody awful. It depresses me just looking at it.

Emmagen Sat 27-Jun-20 16:24:53

We've got it. I don't think it looks nice but I don't object to it because of looks. I loathe it because of the razor sharp fucking pebbles that ping off across the patio and just lay there in wait until you stand on them. Or the way that anything or anyone brushing against the wall gets scratched or shredded.

Tippexy Sat 27-Jun-20 16:25:20

It screams council house round here. Really unattractive!

Mrhodgeymaheg Sat 27-Jun-20 16:25:21

If you are referring to me, no not a troll. Just made me chuckle when I read the title as I have my own association with that word.

I think it's awful on a house too. Not a fan of the grey wood effect cladding people seem to be keen on lately as well.

Sushiroller Sat 27-Jun-20 16:25:25

I have it on my house.
The brown stuff 🤢🤮

It's a period property so marginally less offensive.
Interestingly though I realised I don't hate it enough to pay £5k bother to repaint it 🤷‍♀️

Bluntness100 Sat 27-Jun-20 16:27:18

Pebbledash was used predominantly in the 20s on , to cover poor quality brick work and to give the houses an element of weather protection.

For me. It’s not nice.

riotlady Sat 27-Jun-20 16:27:49

@Soddingsoda I googled it after starting this thread, apparently it originated in the 1880s but got popular post war as it’s really tough and also hides shoddy brickwork when you’re throwing up houses!

OP’s posts: |
lazylinguist Sat 27-Jun-20 16:30:03

It's fine if it's painted white, but brown pebbledash is grim.

Thisischaos Sat 27-Jun-20 16:34:23

No sorry, I don’t like it at all and a house with it has no kerb appeal to me so would not consider buying a house that has it. It looks slightly better if painted.

Ginfordinner Sat 27-Jun-20 16:36:26

The house I grew up in had pebbledash with mock tudor beams. It sounds hideous, but it wasn't. The house was built in the Edwardian era, and most of the houses in the road from that period have pebbledash, some of which have been painted over. The houses are large and most definitely don't look like council houses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »