Talk

Advanced search

Child moving away

(5 Posts)
UnaCorda Fri 26-Jun-20 21:59:00

I'm not sure what I'm hoping for from this thread. Perhaps someone will have had a vaguely similar experience.

Today I said goodbye to a child I know, as she's moving back to her home country. We had a very special relationship as she has selective mutism and "selected" to talk to me. I am not a psychologist or therapist, but was the only person she would chat freely to.

I don't have children myself and am very sad that I probably won't see her again. I think she would like to keep in touch, but I am aware that may not happen due to her age. I'll miss her.

OP’s posts: |
Helendee Fri 26-Jun-20 22:57:08

I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling so sad.
You will hear from her again when she’s settled I’m sure, give her a little time to adapt then contact her if you can.
In the meantime you need to go through a very real grieving period but you will come through the other side and realise that you and this child had and hopefully will have a very special link.
I have worked as a Childminder for 25 years and have said goodbye to hundreds of children over the years. It does get easier. Xx

Fuckitletshavevino Fri 26-Jun-20 23:24:46

I don’t have any experience to be able to give you advice with the situation you face as the bond this beautiful child chose to have with you is very special and rare. Although I’m so positive you will still see and speak to her again, in the meantime concentrate on the memories you already have that will stay with you forever. Focus less on the heartbreak that ironically you are causing yourself by thinking the worst.

Fill your mind with the words she shared with only you and how you felt every time you heard her sweet voice. Think how safe and happy and loved you made her feel for her to find the courage and strength to gain control of her voice just for you. Oh wait she didn’t have to find the courage and strength to gain control with you because it came naturally.

Because you are soul sisters

Because you’ll always have each other no matter how far

Because a bond like you both have lasts a lifetime

Most importantly because you will never let her down. Just like she will never let you down xxxx

UnaCorda Fri 26-Jun-20 23:39:36

Thank you both

I should have said, in case it wasn't obvious, I was the only person she spoke to outside her family.

OP’s posts: |
Fuckitletshavevino Sat 27-Jun-20 00:11:51

@UnaCorda although you didn’t say you are the only one outside of the family I instinctively knew what you meant

Xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in