Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked when my dd just in reception class was ordered to sit in the corner on her own today because......

(19 Posts)
onefootinthegravy Tue 25-Sep-07 20:50:21

She told the teacher not to talk whilst eating !! blush

fireflyfairy2 Tue 25-Sep-07 20:51:12

So she was punished? shock

MaryBS Tue 25-Sep-07 20:51:49

I wouldn't blush, I'd be proud of her! Shows what good manners she has!

What was the teacher's explanation for making her sit in the corner?

Tortington Tue 25-Sep-07 20:51:52

well it was a rude thing to say. i believe teachers have to have authority - but i think shaming children in front of the whole class isn't the way about it

LittleBella Tue 25-Sep-07 20:52:04

I'm a bit shocked the teacher had such bad table manners.

She'd have been rapped over the knuckles by a spoon at my old school.

morningpaper Tue 25-Sep-07 20:52:05

<snicker>

she sounds as though she is going to have an excellent school career ahead of her

xXxamyxXx Tue 25-Sep-07 20:52:51

ha ha thats hilarious!although shocking id have a word with the teacher pressumably she was embaressed still no excuse

ChipButty Tue 25-Sep-07 20:53:58

There's got to be more to it than that. hmm

xXxamyxXx Tue 25-Sep-07 20:54:29

i dint mean her being punished i mean how an adult could get so flusstered at a child having better table manners then her

onefootinthegravy Tue 25-Sep-07 20:55:29

Yes I thought that there must have been more to it , my dd is adamant she didn't do anything else wrong. So I beleive her. Seemed a bit harsh for only the 2nd week in reception class !

Twiglett Tue 25-Sep-07 20:56:03

well depends how she did it really

snotty-little-kid-style I'll warrant, she was probably sitting in the thinking spot

LittleBella Tue 25-Sep-07 20:56:31

Justs ask the teacher what really happened.

If your DD is telling the truth, teacher will be embarrassed. If not,she won't and you'll find out the truth

LittleBella Tue 25-Sep-07 20:56:57

I love the way that the dunce's corner is now the thinking spot grin

Isababel Tue 25-Sep-07 20:57:15

Is this her first year teaching? FGS she should be used to it by now. Every 4 year old I have met has at some point corrected the table maners of another child or adult.

JARM Tue 25-Sep-07 21:01:11

i would be very angry actually, andspeaking to the teacher - being punished for having manners is plain wrong and sending wrong signals

Callmemadam Tue 25-Sep-07 21:15:29

No yanbu - my dd did this exactly last year in reception, and the headteacher smiled at her and siad@ you are quite right, but sometimes grownups make mistakes too, just like children! which dd was quite content with. How DARE she put your daughter in isolation - you must ask the school if that is an acccepted disciplinary procedure because I am very sure it shouldn't be! Absolutely outrageous!!!!angryAt her age your dd doesn't understand its 'rude' to say such a thing - she is simply applying what she has learned to the world around her. Should we really tell children that they must believe what we tell them, but not repeat it to adults who don't seem to already know, because to help in that way is 'rude'?

mummytojess Tue 25-Sep-07 23:34:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

handlemecarefully Tue 25-Sep-07 23:46:02

Ummmm - well of course like other posters on this thread I tell my children not to talk when eating...but frankly we all do it from time to time (otherwise every time you were in a restaurant or cafe you would be able to hear a pin drop due to the 'deafening' silence)

If my child came home and related this story to me I would have mixed feelings:

1) amused by her
2) embarrassed ...and I would take pains to explain to my dd that whilst generally it is a good idea not to speak with a mouth full of food, we all lapse from time to time. Would also explain that it is not necessary good manners to pull somebody up for this. Would elaborate that parents / carers / grandparents legitimately advise their charges not to eat with mouth full because it is our job to guide them, but it is not my dd's job to guide others just yet - especially not adults
3) would feel peturbed by the teacher's reaction and would resolve to speak to her (personally feel it would have been a better approach for the teacher to informally take your child aside and kindly explain a few things)

I do know a child who tells me off when I say "Oh God" - actually it irritates the hell out of me

glitterchick Fri 28-Sep-07 10:19:47

The teacher was probably mortified that she had been reprimanded! I would be proud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now