Talk

Advanced search

To worry I may never get broody?

(4 Posts)
Bramblebear92 Fri 26-Jun-20 17:16:24

I've recently turned 28 and it's struck me that I'm really not broody at all. I know this isn't really something to worry about, but I can't help but feeling a little sad. I'd always liked the idea of family life, but unless I have the desire, it'd be silly of me to have a child 'just because.' I also worry that I might suddenly get broody at 35, but because I've lacked the motivation to 'settle down' it'll be too late! Growing up I always just assumed I would. I find some children cute occasionally, but I would say I still find cute animals nicer for the most part hmm

For context, I have done most things 'later' than peers due to childhood illness. Went to uni at 23, and was only just getting going with my career when the pandemic struck.

Did any other MN feel this way at my age or am I likely to feel like this forever? I really can't visualise myself as a mother.

OP’s posts: |
user1471548941 Fri 26-Jun-20 17:27:04

I am 27 and feel the same way! I always assumed the biological urge would just kind of take over but it hasn’t turned up yet.

Getting married next year and want to think about kids around 30 but I have a lot of fears and none of the biological urge that I thought would ride over the fear. Saying that I can’t imagine myself at 50 with no family so it’s not as easy as saying “just don’t have them” and I think about it a lot so it’s not like I have no interest.

I wish there was a manual for this one!

Dishwashersaurous Fri 26-Jun-20 17:29:29

I had no desire at all for children.
Then met my husband and really wanted to have children with him.
It’s a specific desire with one person rather than a general feeling.
I’m pretty sure if I’d not met him I wouldn’t have had children

slashlover Fri 26-Jun-20 17:29:35

I'm 42 and never been broody, I prefer cats. I do "borrow" a child every so often as my friends/cousins have kids, I get to do all the fun stuff without the stress.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »