Talk

Advanced search

To ask if your child also did this?!

(30 Posts)
Poliomolio2 Thu 25-Jun-20 18:06:51

My daughter is 6 months and shouts, gurgles, babbles etc

But, she often shouts like a raptor, like its hard to describe but she uses her throat to make this god awful sound and it's like she has a really sore throat (she done it on several occasions spanning a few months intermittently so I don't think she is poorly) but it really sounds like she's going to hurt herself.

Like screamo for babies!! A deep growl/screech which can last a few second and can sometimes end in a cough which concerns me!

I don't know how to get her to stop doing this or if it's anything to be concerned about but I'm worried she's going to hurt her voice box or something!

Is this a normal part of development??

OP’s posts: |
stopfundinghate Thu 25-Jun-20 18:08:42

Sounds normal to me. Try not to react if you want her to stop

Poliomolio2 Thu 25-Jun-20 18:12:52

@stopfundinghate just seems as though its hurting her, she goes through a variety of sounds so probably just normal and me being a FTM over reacting 🙈

Drivingdownthe101 Thu 25-Jun-20 18:13:32

Yes, we used to call ours a velociraptor. All three have done it.

Thesearmsofmine Thu 25-Jun-20 18:14:08

She is just learning how to use her voice and is probably seeing your reaction to it. My ds1 went through a phase of fake coughing as a baby just because it was a new fun sound and it drove me insane, he eventually stopped.

RedXIII Thu 25-Jun-20 18:16:23

You're not alone! My 8mo does a fantastic impression of a pterodactyl. I was hmm his direction when he first did it. Great fun when he wakes up doing it at night!

Poliomolio2 Thu 25-Jun-20 18:38:06

@Drivingdownthe101 Okay, so it's pretty normal then! I just wondered if she was totally weird or part dinosaur! 😅😂

@Thesearmsofmine yeah, seems that way! She won't stop doing it! Like you say I'm sure she's just exploring what she can do!

@redxiii yes, that's what i was like! I was anxious she was going to make herself sore but she only does it when she wants to do it not all the time so assume she just likes pretending she's a dinosaur lol thank you

DanielRicciardosSmile Thu 25-Jun-20 18:38:08

DS used to do this when he was tiny. Usually for about 30 minutes before he woke for a feed. We called it the baby dinosaur noise.

Poliomolio2 Thu 25-Jun-20 18:38:52

@DanielRicciardosSmile haha, no she definitely awake! Just shouting away and experimenting I guess! She likes to bark when she's hungry hmm 😂

Flopjustwantscoffee Thu 25-Jun-20 18:40:35

MIne did but we were living in the netherlands and it turns out he was merely practicing his hard g. So maybe your child is secretly dutch? But seriously, I think its within the range of normal at that age they make all manner of strange sounds as part of learning to talk.

Samtsirch Thu 25-Jun-20 18:44:10

Both of mine did this, I think they were just experimenting with their vocal range 🤣

JassyRadlett Thu 25-Jun-20 18:45:02

My nephew (8 months) does a perfect Chewbacca impression. It’s hilarious and he knows it.

ParadiseLaundry Thu 25-Jun-20 18:46:57

DS is 11 months and makes the same purring trilling noise the cute little dinosaur on Jurassic Park makes before it spits in the mans eye and attacks him 😀 it definitely sounds normal to me!

Flopjustwantscoffee Thu 25-Jun-20 18:48:22

actually re-reading the sound i was thinking of was more like a pteradactyl being strangled (ggggggggggghhhhhheee) but he used to do the high pitched thing as well

Minniem2020 Thu 25-Jun-20 18:51:43

My ds new favourite noise is snorting like a pig, it sounds sore so I don't know why he does it

xmummy2princesx Thu 25-Jun-20 18:56:10

Both of mine do it!

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Thu 25-Jun-20 18:58:52

Yep, both mine did a heavy metal growl: we videoed them grin

Monkeymilkshake Thu 25-Jun-20 19:02:55

Yes. We call ours the harpie

LatteLoverLovesLattes Thu 25-Jun-20 19:02:58

Contacts London Zoo they're generally
Pretty keen on new exhibits! Part baby/part dog/part dinosaur.

Poliomolio2 Thu 25-Jun-20 19:08:42

@LatteLoverLovesLattes 😂 I think I shall! Might make a mint! 😂

cheesemongery Thu 25-Jun-20 19:09:27

My son did it, it used to drive me to despair. Like screeching! He's 23 now but has always had a booming voice that carried...

Royalbloo Thu 25-Jun-20 19:22:55

Yeah, kids are weirdos - I think mine was just experimenting with the noises she could make...

Camomila Thu 25-Jun-20 19:29:53

DS1 used to, DS2 is much more relaxed and hasn't so far (only 5m old, there's time!)

DamnYankee Thu 25-Jun-20 19:32:19

I thought this stage was hilarious!
I'd be pushing DD around in the grocery cart and she'd just let rip!
She was an angelic-looking baby, too...so it was doubly funny.

HowLongCanICallitBabyWeight Thu 25-Jun-20 20:01:04

Yes DS used to all the time at that age, now it's actually his dinosaur noise, which he will make at full volume any time he sees something that vaguely resembles a dinosaur! He doesn't bark when hungry but does meow a fair amount

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »