Talk

Advanced search

To be sad that there won't be hand me downs

(143 Posts)
MapleScree Thu 25-Jun-20 16:48:06

I always liked hand me downs as a kids, and always figured that, when I had my own kids, I'd probably be able to trade hand me downs with others.

However, I'm pregnant with my first, and there is no chance of hand me downs. Everyone I know is either childless or has older or grown up kids, and I suspect that anyone I meet if/when antenatal classes good ahead will be having their first too.

I know that I'm not entitled to hand me downs, nobody owes them to me. I guess when I see threads where people complain about being offered hand me downs it makes me a bit jealous.

So, to encourage me to be a bit more rational/sensible, does anyone have any tips on terms of inexpensive ways/places to get baby stuff?

I know that buying secondhand is a good idea, would love be to know where's the best place to get secondhand stuff, and any other useful tips about this that might be out there.

OP’s posts: |
notacooldad Thu 25-Jun-20 16:49:50

Try Facebook market place.

ToddlerBumpBorderCollie Thu 25-Jun-20 16:52:17

I was very cheeky and used to search eBay for bundles by age ‘0-3 boy bundle’ for example and then sort by ending soonest. Find the one starting at 99p with a minute left to go. We got all sorts that way. Just monitor how much they’re charging for postage.

TinySleepThief Thu 25-Jun-20 16:53:11

Facebook market place is always full of baby clothes bundles either that or if you have a local spotted facebook site its woeth asking on there.

Additionally car boots are start back up and they are full of cheap baby items. Finally if all else fails you cant beat a good rummage in a charity shop.

chateaudekaleidoscope Thu 25-Jun-20 16:53:34

Why is that upsetting? Keep the things for if you have anymore children and that will be a hand me down. With your first it's always nice to buy everything new.

Meredithgrey1 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:53:40

I bought big bags of baby clothes for about a tenner on Facebook market place. Got two massive bags of 0-3 month stuff that was basically all we needed for £10 and a couple of bags of 3-6 month stuff that was good. Babies grow so quickly they hardly wear the 0-3 month stuff so it was all ok good condition.

toomuchpeppapig Thu 25-Jun-20 16:54:17

Definitely Facebook marketplace. I just sold 30 baby grows, 18 vests, 10 outfits, and about 20 other items of baby clothing for £30. That was all my little boys 6-9 clothes so that person won't need to buy anything else in that age range, plus it was all in really good condition as babies don't wear them very much before they've been outgrown. Definitely have a look.

Somethingsnappy Thu 25-Jun-20 16:55:59

EBay is fabulous for preloved baby stuff. Lots of sellers sell in bundles too. Charity shops are also great. The thing about baby clothes, is that they are worn for only a few months, so are usually in excellent condition.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

SliverClouds Thu 25-Jun-20 16:56:42

Don't forget that you'll carry on meeting more people as your child grows up -- we pass stuff on to neighbours who we met when their children were toddlers.

NoIDontWatchLoveIsland Thu 25-Jun-20 16:56:51

You loved hand me downs as a kid? I think that's a bit unusual

Baby clothes are very cheap. You can easily get cheap bundles on Ebay for pennies but you will find people tend to separate out their better quality or branded items and sell separately, so bundles can be full of supermarket or 4th/5th hand stuff.

ArcheryAnnie Thu 25-Jun-20 16:57:07

I loved baby hand-me-downs because all the clothes were much softer than brand new, as well as free/cheap.

In a year or so, the NCT second hand sales will be up and running again, and they are fantastic for good secondhand stuff. Before then, ask on freegle, or look for bundles on ebay.

formerbabe Thu 25-Jun-20 16:57:41

From new born to 3 months, they only need babygros, nearly all supermarkets do multipacks

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 25-Jun-20 16:57:48

Yes it was upsetting 20years ago but today in the age of supermarket clothing and primark there’s plenty of reasonably priced options. Tbh I’d rather buy primark than buy second hand from a stranger. Also appreciate as many threads have shown, hand me downs can cause more problems than they are worth.

Love51 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:58:43

Make sure that you hand down so another child gets the blessing of hand-me-downs!
I too love a garment with history!

Apileofballyhoo Thu 25-Jun-20 16:59:08

I've had hand me downs from people I've met since having DC. I've passed things on to people I've met since having DC. Also have bought things second hand on eBay.

Diarytime Thu 25-Jun-20 17:00:33

On mn hand me downs usually end up a poisoned chalice so definitely buy your own.
If you do end up getting any make sure you get a written agreement on what’s to happen to them afterwards

SliverClouds Thu 25-Jun-20 17:01:00

Also, you might be surprised by how colleagues or acquaintances see anyone with a younger child as a possible target for hand me downs when they're having a clear out. Lots of ours came from people I don't regard as close friends.

Laaalaaaa Thu 25-Jun-20 17:01:20

I’m the opposite - I would have hated to have been made to feel obliged to accept hand me downs for a newborn. I loved choosing all my babies first clothes.

Apple1029 Thu 25-Jun-20 17:04:20

Lol what did you love about it op? I also find that odd.

Redcrayons Thu 25-Jun-20 17:05:15

as Someone who had to wear my brothers hand me downs throughout childhood, YABU. I hated it.

I didn’t get anything off anyone either. My bro’s SIL has a baby about 2 months before me so everything went to her and I was first of my group to have baby so there was nothing in circulation. I gave plenty of stuff away.

I’d be surprised if people even keep stuff these days, it’s all so cheap and badly made.

mohasfluffytoes Thu 25-Jun-20 17:05:22

We're the first to have a child out of most of our families and friends. An unexpected bonus of this is that EVERYONE has bought us new clothes for her. We've hardly had to buy anything and have lots of lovely things to hand down to others or keep for the next one.

WorraLiberty Thu 25-Jun-20 17:08:40

Message deleted by MNHQ for trollhunting. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RhiWrites Thu 25-Jun-20 17:09:17

You don’t have any friends with near in age children? Maybe you could make some!

EatsShootsAndRuns Thu 25-Jun-20 17:12:49

As a child I absolutely hated hand me down clothes and I swore that any child of mine would never wear them. She never did.

People use it as an excuse to palm off tatty old clothes which are fit only for the bin, who wants clothes that have been worn out?

If you desperately want your child to wear them it surely won't be long before the charity shops open and you can rummage in second and third-hand dross to your heart's content.

MapleScree Thu 25-Jun-20 17:13:09

I suppose I like that items get used fully, and the sense of community it creates when trading these things goes well.

A certain amount of it is probably pregnancy hormones making me a bit daft, but as long as I know I'm being daft I can try to be reasonable.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »