Talk

Advanced search

To think he shouldn't cancel urgent scan?

(10 Posts)
TravellingInTheTardis Thu 25-Jun-20 14:18:41

My 75 yr old dad had a kidney removed two years ago, after RCC was found when he was treated for bladder cancer (unconnected.

It was found in March that he had mets to his aorta. He was put on Paz, to help slow growth.

He's been vomiting constantly, tired and falling over.

The oncologist sent him to A&E last week, who said it was chemo related (he's not on chemo), and they did some bloods, that is all.

The oncologist was furious with them, as he sent him to get MRI & CT scans, as he believes, from the symptoms, that it may have spread to his brain, and possibly his bowel.

Dad has had constipation this week, he cries as he cannot push, and has been given tons of different laxatives and enemas, and has 'overflow', meaning he cannot walk without it coming out.

He was supposed to have a cardiology appointment yesterday, but my sister cancelled it.

Tomorrow he's got a CT of his bowel. The nurse stressed he must attend, as has his oncologist and GP. But my sister and dad want to cancel it. I've got some mega large Tena pads, which I had from a colonoscopy and he can have them.

It's a bit of a journey, as it's an urgent scan, and he'd have to wait otherwise, I fear that if he does have a blockage, that it won't get any better until he's diagnosed...sitting next to a commode all day and being in pain is not much of a life.

OP’s posts: |
Newmama29 Thu 25-Jun-20 14:26:11

I strongly suggest attending this scan! A bowel blockage is extremely dangerous. If they don’t treat his constipation he could end up with faecal vomiting (this is exactly what it sounds like), not to mention needing surgery to repair any bowel damage that could occur & with his age they may not go down that route.

AllNaturalIngredients Thu 25-Jun-20 14:26:11

Your poor Dad, that sounds awful. I agree with but can also understand the other side. Big hugs OP, must be so worrying for you ❤️

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Thu 25-Jun-20 14:28:23

I feel he should go. Is it the fear of leaking that is stopping him from going or the fear of what will be found?

Tbh, if he has kidney cancer, bladder cancer, mets in his aorta, the outlook sounds bleak. He will need pain relief and the best way to receive the appropriate pain management is for the Oncologist to know exactly where the cancer has spread to.

I'm very sorry he is in this situation. I hope he can manage to be pain-free.

AntiSocialDistancer Thu 25-Jun-20 14:29:41

Can you arrange a private medical ambulance? It sounds horrendous, but he HAS to go.

OwlBeThere Thu 25-Jun-20 14:30:26

He must go as off putting as it must be to have that, they can’t help him without those things flowers to you X

TravellingInTheTardis Thu 25-Jun-20 14:31:56

@NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite I think it's the leaking he's worried about. My sister is getting him some pads, and she knows that I have some too, but he's scared of moving. I do think there's a fear of finding out something bad is occurring is playing on his mind too. I think he's scared as my brother went into hospital over a year ago, and hasn't been out since...he's also scared he's never going to see him again.

The whole situation is totally shit! (Excuse the pun, it was unintentional).

OP’s posts: |
SuzetteCrepe Thu 25-Jun-20 14:34:02

Why are they thinking of cancelling it. He can wear the pads. How will he get to the hospital, are they arranging comfortable transport. If he is really suffering they may keep him in hospital.

Dyrne Thu 25-Jun-20 14:40:01

I do feel for him as it sounds uncomfortable and embarrassing; but unfortunately I think he does urgently need this scan otherwise things are going to get worse, not better.

Can he try and control the overflow by fasting beforehand or is that dangerous with his other issues?

I think a combination of pads, pants; and maybe doubling up some shorts and trousers may be the only answer. So can he be in the car in incontinence pants and shorts; sitting on a towel and pad; then sister puts some joggers on over everything before getting him out the car and in a wheelchair for the hospital bit? Another pad underneath and towel/blanket over everything could help hide things?

SuzetteCrepe Thu 25-Jun-20 14:57:10

Tbh if he is vomiting constantly, cannot poo and is distressed and in pain I would call his oncologist to see if he needs to be in hospital and go by ambulance. Poor man, I hope he gets some relief soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »