Talk

Advanced search

To expect postage to be refunded?

(18 Posts)
janetsgarden Thu 25-Jun-20 12:32:41

I bought a pair of shoes from a company - they advertised the shoes as my size (only one of the item exists) but they have arrived and are 3 sizes bigger.
I paid for these plus £8 postage.

I can get a refund but they will not refund postage or the cost of me to return the item - is this fair / allowed?

Surely because they made the mistake I shouldn't be out of pocket?

OP’s posts: |
Alsohuman Thu 25-Jun-20 12:36:46

You didn’t get what you ordered and you’re entitled to a refund of postage in both directions. Twitter is your friend - name and shame them.

Ripasso Thu 25-Jun-20 12:39:34

No it is not fair and you should not have to.

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online

The difficulty is getting the company to stick to the rules. I’ve had some success quoting relevant parts of consumer contracts regulations to companies trying to shirk their obligations.

janetsgarden Thu 25-Jun-20 12:43:55

I paid on a credit card (Amex) so I'm hoping that I can always go down that route?

Herbie0987 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:46:30

Amex is not a credit card.

Theyweretheworstoftimes Thu 25-Jun-20 12:48:49

I am having a similar issue. I ordered something (food item) retailer sent something different. I returned item as it wasn't what I ordered. They have refunded my order costs and the P and P I paid as part of the order but won't refund my additional postage to return.

They have terms and conditions that state

If we can't fulfil your order we will contact you to either cancel or with your agreement despatch an alternative product.

They have breached the terms they set down and I am out of pocket.

Thank you for your link I hope you get sorted

Blobby10 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:49:39

@Herbie0987 how isn't it a credit card? I have an American Express card that I use then pay off each month just like I do with my Visa card.

Nonotthisagain Thu 25-Jun-20 12:50:38

Even if it wasn't an error on their part they should refund the original postage. www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online

janetsgarden Thu 25-Jun-20 12:57:01

@herbie0987 yes it is...

janetsgarden Thu 25-Jun-20 13:00:17

Don't know why I feel the need to prove this

SabrinaThwaite Thu 25-Jun-20 13:03:27

Some Amex cards are charge cards, where you have to pay the full balance every month, some are credit cards.

pinkcattydude Thu 25-Jun-20 13:04:38

Standard amex used to be a charge card only. But most people now use the Amex credit cards. I’m sure @janetsgarden knows which one she has

SabrinaThwaite Thu 25-Jun-20 13:12:53

I can get a refund but they will not refund postage or the cost of me to return the item - is this fair / allowed?

They should be refunding the original postage you paid for delivery (unless you paid for an express service, in which case they refund the basic service cost) as well as return postage since the item was not as described.

PolPotNoodle Thu 25-Jun-20 13:16:37

@janetsgarden I'm sure you've checked right but are they definitely the wrong size, and you aren't accidentally reading the US size?

janetsgarden Thu 25-Jun-20 13:58:12

@PolPotNoodle well they also definitely don't fit my feet or come close.

Advertised as a size 4, back of shoe says 7 1/2 - I thought maybe they confused it for 37 (with is a 4) but the 1/2 wouldn't make sense.

SabrinaThwaite Thu 25-Jun-20 14:09:39

US 7.5 is a UK 5.5 for women's shoes, so still not a 4!

Starbuggy Thu 25-Jun-20 14:11:48

YANBU, you’ve not just changed your mind, it’s their mistake so they should cover the postage

janetsgarden Thu 25-Jun-20 14:45:29

@sabrinathwaite exactly! I don't know if it's US or not but it's definitely too big - a mistake their end.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »